50 Minute Break

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam1234

Reaction score
The new CBT calls for 50-minute break. We can take the break any time or is it set as 4 hours, then break, then 4 hours? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sam

The break can be taken at any time; (IIRC) so long as it is between exam sections. Examinees set their own pace going through the sections one at a time and everything must be done in the allotted time or less.

So there
The break can be taken at any time; (IIRC) so long as it is between exam sections. Examinees set their own pace going through the sections one at a time and everything must be done in the allotted time or less.
So there really is an AM and PM session?

So there

So there really is an AM and PM session?
The 50 min break is optional but highly encouraged. So its not really an AM/PM session but more so you get the option of a 50 minute break after the first 40 or so questions.

I just took and passed the Mechanical MDM PE Exam and I had 39 questions in the first half, an optional 50 min break and then 41 questions after. But once you take your break or finish the first half, you cant go back to the questions from the first half. You’l only have access to the questions from the second half.

80 questions are divided into two sections. Usually it's not 40-40, rather 41-39 or 42-38. The 8-hour timer will start once you go to the first question. Once you finish the first 41 questions, you will have the option to take a scheduled 50-minute break. Once you submit the first section, you can't go back to the questions. The timer will stop during this break. You don't have to take the break if you don't want to, or you don't need to use all 50 minutes. After this break, the second section will start and the timer will resume. You can take a break anytime you want during your exam, but the timer won't stop.

Civil traffic is 35-45. Try to finish the morning in less than 3 hours and eat an early lunch. You need the time for the afternoon session. Some finish in 2 hours but that was too soon for me.

Back