2020 Confessionals...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to do holiday cards this year...I actually bought a pack of 40 from Costco, and stamps, but I'll most likely put it off.  If I don't get it done this weekend, it won't get done, and I'll hold off until next year.  At least I bought forever stamps.

2020 Confession - I'm getting really weird vibes living in Indiana/still working like normal during a pandemic.  Like, idk, I feel like an NPC or something in part of a bigger story where the world is going to hell and I'm sitting there going, "Tomatoes are ripe today down at the market; I hope I get some!" over and over again.  Tbh, if I didn't have the EB chat I def think I would have had a dissociative episode or something.

What does a PhD cost these days?
So much money. $50k for Columbia University (goals!) or $22k for NYU. Honestly, I don't like to look. The only thing holding me back is the cost. I want to pay $0. lol

I already have a Bachelor's, Master's, and two certifications (I didn't pay for the certs). I've paid very little out of pocket for the P.E. prep. I am not interested in paying for the PhD. Still noodling over that one.

So much money. $50k for Columbia University (goals!) or $22k for NYU. Honestly, I don't like to look. The only thing holding me back is the cost. I want to pay $0. lol

I already have a Bachelor's, Master's, and two certifications (I didn't pay for the certs). I've paid very little out of pocket for the P.E. prep. I am not interested in paying for the PhD. Still noodling over that one.
If you apply to be a research assistant/TA, I think much of your education will be paid for. Best of luck!

I've been secretly stockpiling model-making supplies ever since buying a 3D printer.

I've paid very little out of pocket for the P.E. prep.
I'm jealous! I've spent a LOT of money out of pocket for the P.E. prep, and now for S.E. prep too. But I guess that was my own choice, in some ways. However, I've never been reimbursed for codes I've had to buy for MY JOB, either. And it's impractical to have codes shared on an office basis. You'd probably need one copy of each code per nearly all employees! At least my codes are fully mine, I guess.

/End rant

Even though I made my first post I really do think I hate Christmas a little more every year 

Since I'm WFH, my personal laptop is on my desk with my work laptop. :D
I've got two phones and a desktop, the latter of which is on an HDMI switch so I can just swap back and forth between personal computer and work computer on the same monitor, LOL.

I didn't bring my monitors home (back in March I was assuming WFH was only going to last a short time)

I have a work laptop and my personal laptop next to each other to approximate having 2 monitors. I do all my work messaging (email, Teams, etc) and most of my meetings (because it has a webcam) on my personal laptop. I used the work laptop for CAD and FEA and for accessing files on the network.

If my personal laptop happens to load websites on games while I'm on a break, that seems acceptable (as long as not on company time).

I brought my two monitors at home, as well as a bunch of files, back in March. I too thought it was a temporary situation, but I figured my back would be happier with me if I set up a good ergonomic space at home.  I brought a big ass suitcase with me to pack everything in, and my coworkers made fun of me, but WHO'S LAUGHING NOW? (no one. no is laughing now :p ).

What sucks is we're moving out of our downtown space next month. I understand why we're doing it, but I really enjoyed being downtown. I'm heading back in a couple of weeks to clean out the rest of my cube and it's gonna look like a post-apocalyptic wasteland in there.  I haven't been to the office since March.

Latest posts

Back