2018 NFL - EB Pick EM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NFL head office will soon be forced to define the Super Bowl as "the league championship game between the NFC champions and the New England Patriots."  What else has it become lately?  Counting the upcoming game, the Patriots have been participants in 5 of the 8 most recent Super Bowls.  Something seems crooked about that.  Maybe the divisions should be shuffled and put together randomly so the same match-ups don't keep coming up every season.   Patriots in the Super Bowl again?  Boring!

Most people around here that I know have been to NFL games that are easy to drive to, like in Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.  Sports bars always have NFL games on during the season.

Gotta say, I'm not that excited for this Super Bowl. I'm guessing it's the Patriots' to lose, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Is it baseball season yet?

I know nothing about the Super Bowl, but I am excited about the snacks I get to eat!  And my uncle explaining what certain calls mean during the game, and what simple football terminology to me (he's a die-hard Jets fan with a son who is a die-hard Giants fan, so it's disappointing in general for our family).  All I know is that I'm not allowed to like the Patriots and Tom Brady is old as **** for what's he's doing?  Does this mean football players need to go out to pasture at a certain age?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could argue that every position, in every sport, has a "life expectancy" where the level of play starts to really drop off. Some people, for whatever reason, can still play at a higher level beyond that point. I don't think that there should be a set mandatory age of retirement per se. It kinda works out that way since contracts are usually for only as long as the team expects a certain level of performance. After that point, contracts are of shorter duration, less guaranteed money or more performance based, or both.

A players performance could drop off while he still has year's on his contract. At that point the player could choose to retire early, such as to not tarnish their legacy; or they can keep playing to get that fat pay day. Some teams may cut players and just eat the lost money.

Quarterback is one of the few positions where a talented player could last into their late thirties and still play at a high level. I'm loathe to say anything nice about NE: but Brady, while diminished with age, is still playing at high level and better than most other quarterbacks currently in the league (includes backups). He's certainly past that age though where his performance could drop off a cliff. It could happen next season or it could happen five years from now...

0851a73606c23651f1e0c24ffb7e96a3.jpg

Friend sent me this from Atlanta - check out the cost of parking! And this isn’t the “good lot” either lols

5a01f37624a68a005fa041d039a4b615.jpg

Who's everyone putting their $$ on? I'm going to pick the Rams as the seemingly underdog in this match-up. :dunno:

Back