Area of Competency vs Discipline Specific

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHW 3d

Here's Johnny...
Reaction score
Don't have my PE, but wondering about how far reaching a PE licensure can be used. I have heard that with a PE in Mechancal (per se), you can stamp drawings in other areas, presuming you have significant competency in that area.

The NCEES website has information on each state board, and I was browsing CA (my state) information.

link: http://boards.ncees.org/view/index/board-1004-california/

Engineering licensure
Last updated 06/04/2012

As a discipline-specific engineer, restricted to practice in a specific field

Other state information has a different language: (for example, New York)

Engineering licensure
Last updated 06/07/2012

As a professional engineer, allowed to practice in his/her area(s) of competency

Does this suggest that in California, to work in "Controls Engineering" (for which I have significant experience), I would be required to take and pass the CSE PE exam, but in New York I would not?

Anyone else have experience with navigating this potentially restrictive scope of licensure?

TIA

Your interpretation is correct. I've seen states that don't pay any attention to discipline at all and a PE is a PE no matter what other than the exception of a structural engineer. It's up to your own professional judgement as to what you're competent to seal. California is pretty restrictive by comparison.

Back