Min Wage in Each State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violator

Reaction score
Although I am not sure how Georgia and Wyoming can be under the Federal Min Wage?

IMG_2571.jpg

So then the min wage would always be $7.25 - I understand the math TUVM, but I don't see the point in having an official state min wage lower than the fed min wage. I don't believe one can pay less than the federal min wage?

When we were in Florida last month it was pretty amazing how much cheaper everything was in terms of groceries - We pay out the nose here in Colorado.. most places pay more than the $10 mi wage listed on this map, but even at $2/HR difference the prices dont seem to add up (they are pretty far apart)

So then the min wage would always be $7.25 - I understand the math TUVM, but I don't see the point in having an official state min wage lower than the fed min wage. I don't believe one can pay less than the federal min wage?
The federal government can only regulate interstate commerce under the constitution. They claim anyone making over $500k in sales is automatically interstate and a lot of other things like employees who use a phone are engaged in interstate commerce. But theoretically there may be some employees that don't fall under federal jurisdiction for minimum wages if they work for a small business that only operates in one state. 

This must be an old map, Min Wage in CO is $12/HR (or so says the poster in our breakroom) - not that I was in there, cause you know, COVID..

I would guess it was written into state law when the fed wage was lower.

I would guess it was written into state law when the fed wage was lower.
This. Why would you go through the hassle of pushing it through the legislature to get it to the same number that handles most of the state. FWIW only about 8% of employees would be affected by a change. 

The subject of minimum wages always amuses me.  Regardless of what any government entity might tell you, the minimum wage has always been and will always be $0.

Back