October 2019 15k SPAM Thread - Page 651 - Games - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
NJmike PE

October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

11 minutes ago, leggo PE said:

Make yourself available to them outside to talk about anything and everything, not just work stuff. Make an effort to connect with them on a regular basis. Value the mentorship and prove that you value it by making dedicated time to meet with your mentee. Regular check-ins, even if they're short, would be a good thing to establish early on.

Thanks! I’ve seen other orgs try to establish check ins by going and getting coffee or lunch or something once in a while. It’s definitely not a thing at my workplace, but maybe I can change that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SNAPE/SMOTT PE said:

Well, news just told us they are expecting a 3rd explosion. Definitely out of control. 

Oh my goodness. Terrible news.

Just now, SNAPE/SMOTT PE said:

Anyone hiring in another state....my spouse is going to make me quit my job.

Interested in control systems in WA? Haha...

Just now, ChebyshevII PE said:

Something something truth table something something.

2 minutes ago, squaretaper PE said:

Something something truth table something something.

Those are never talked about at my workplace, and yet, I personally use them all the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SNAPE/SMOTT PE said:

This is why I got out of the petrochem biz.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squaretaper PE said:

This is why I got out of the petrochem biz.

Part of the reason I avoided the petrochemical biz, altogether... Probably not the most important reason, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squaretaper PE said:

Hope you're not downwind from this @SNAPE/SMOTT PE.

No, my house is ~35 miles north of this....winds are not going to bring it in my direction. But I got told I needed to look into other jobs after the tank fires in Houston. I’m sure I’ll get told again I need to get out of petrochemical and refining. My spouse hates me working in it.

15 minutes ago, SNAPE/SMOTT PE said:

Interested in structural work either in San Francisco or Vermont?

1 minute ago, SNAPE/SMOTT PE said:

No, my house is ~35 miles north of this....winds are not going to bring it in my direction. But I got told I needed to look into other jobs after the tank fires in Houston. I’m sure I’ll get told again I need to get out of petrochemical and refining. My spouse hates me working in it.

I can imagine!

Really hope things get better :(

• Thanks 1

So..,who wants to analyze the projection flying out of the second explosion? I say a s&t ex. or a piece of a process tower.

Still at work... When are the principals going to start leaving?!?

I'm watching some of the amateur video of the explosions... and holy fuck!

I used to do accident environment modelling and forensics. Not the biggest thing I've looked at but... wow.

• Sad 2

57 minutes ago, SNAPE/SMOTT PE said:

So..,who wants to analyze the projection flying out of the second explosion? I say a s&t ex. or a piece of a process tower.

maybe? I'm not exactly an expert on petrochemical plants. Could it be another kind of storage tank? I looks like it was propulsive for a short period. Maybe it started horizontal, explosion moved it up, stayed mostly horizontal, ignition occurred out one end, and it had propulsion, uncontrolled of course and starts to flip, runs out of fuel and stays ballistic, some burning of residual fuel or housing that continues the fire without adding propulsion. Didn't see it hit the ground.

Nevermind, I found a cleaner video. Too zoomed in to see the initial loft of the projectile. It looks like it stated horizontal and was with a with a bunch of other induced draft heat exchangers? so maybe it is S&T ex.

The video quality and zoom makes me think they knew something big was about to go down.

By early Wednesday afternoon, another blast rocked the plant as personnel continued to fight the fires on site. That explosion was caused by the collapse of a flaring tower, according to Jefferson County Emergency Management Coordinator Michael White.

https://abc13.com/new-mandatory-evacuation-ordered-for-4-miles-around-tpc/5721793/

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ChebyshevII PE said:

You training? I’ll learn.

I figured part of a tower, or an exchanger. Exchangers sometimes are installed in the vertical, but not as common. Tower it was.

2 hours ago, leggo PE said:

Interested in structural work either in San Francisco or Vermont?

Hmmm....Vermont you say....