Oct 2018 Failing Scores - Page 4 - OCT 2018 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
Tokka

Oct 2018 Failing Scores

Updates so far from surveys for highest failing score: 

October 2018 HVAC & Refrigeration Results Survey: 50 out of 80  https://goo.gl/forms/nCkDJdNzOIPImtbf1

October 2018 Thermal & Fluids Results Survey: 42 out of 80 https://goo.gl/forms/WvnZwcV8tFbyZoyK2

October 2018 Machine Design & Materials Results Survey: 48 out of 80 https://goo.gl/forms/uN7dRaVq6SYtJWG53

October 2018 Power Results Survey: 47 out of 80 https://goo.gl/forms/WfGI5j1gWNXUaHsC3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Texas provides a "scaled score" and it is not your raw score. For example, a 40/80 raw score is a 50%, but the "scaled score" on Texas board might show a 60%. NCEES past president has debunk a lot of the myths with the whole 70% is equal to a raw of 56/80 with this article here:

https://www.nspe.org/resources/pe-magazine/march-2016/the-ultimate-test

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phirra said:

Top 8 sections are AM

The remaining are PM. 

If you count the number of questions, in top 8 and the remaining, they are 40 and 40.

This probably doesn't apply to all disciplines.  For example, my exam (ME Thermal Fluids) has 12 sections - 6 are "Principles" and the other 6 are "Applications". However, the 6 Principles sections only add up to 32 questions. 

10 minutes ago, Ricson said:

@Keekabo : Congratulations! How are you calculating the 69%? Just trying to understand this better. Also, when you say 71%, how many q's did you get correct. Thanks

@Ricson Thank you! Texas gives your final percentage - I didn't calculate anything and I have no idea how they calculate it. And if you pass, you do not receive the number you got correct. Based off of everything I've seen so far, it looks like the cutoff for the Electrical Power this year is at least 48/80. Maybe someone from Texas with a 69% will share their score.

3 hours ago, tyler_uri said:

What depth?

I took WRE at 1st attempt and Transportation for 2nd attempt. The review courses through SOPE.

Please also note that the "scaled score" is different per exam and exam cycle. See attached image

FB_IMG_1544127742319.jpg

1 minute ago, KOKOMO777 said:

I took WRE at 1st attempt and Transportation for 2nd attempt. The review courses through SOPE.

1st attempt was structural - 25 AM, 23 PM = 48 failure.
Most recent was construction - 22 AM, 27PM = 49 failure.

Guess just hit the books more, it's mostly luck of a draw sadly.  Only 5% of this exam is what I do day to day and what makes me a valuable engineer. Oh well.

• Like 1

I've been "around" for a while just lurking but I just received my 3rd failure notice :( you would think it wouldn't sting as bad but it hurts every time!  

42/80 Civil- Water Resources / Environmental

Considering EET on-demand for the next time 

Edited by K_t
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, K_t said:

I've been "around" for a while just lurking but I just received my 3rd failure notice :( you would think it wouldn't sting as bad but it hurts every time!  

I'm so sorry ::hugs::

I failed enviro twice and used EET to brush up on water, since I was so weak in that subject. Can't recommend it enough. Nazrul is fantastic.

2 hours ago, K_t said:

I highly recommend the EET WRE course....I passed on my second attempt and the the online course I took from EET made all the difference. I also scored in the mid 40s on my first attempt.

First Try

48/80 Mech HVAC & Refrigeration

I didnt take in TX, so i counted up the questions i did get right and came up with 48. Is this a raw score or a scaled score?

Anyone from TX who took this test what was your raw score and your TBPE score? Been seeing how a 48 amounted to a 68% scaled score in other disciplines , and just curious as to how close i was.

9 hours ago, Workx said:

MDM Failed 43/80 

MDM failed with 45/80. I think the passing score is 49/80 which is 61.25%.

Edited by Full Stack PE

8 hours ago, monty01 said:

Damn.  Sorry to hear that.  If you don't mind me asking, did you take a review course?

Would you please post the diagnostics sheet?  Thank you

36 minutes ago, Full Stack PE said:

Would you please post the diagnostics sheet?  Thank you

I didn't get any diagnostics.

Civil / Geotech here. Failed in April 2018 with a 53/80 after taking School of PE. This second time around, I used School of PE for the breadth/morning review and EET in the Geotech Depth afternoon. Highly recommend both courses (I know it’s $), along with the Geotechnical Engineer Handbook. Keep your head up, take a break until Mid-January and then start gearing up again! You will get there! 

First time taker.. missed by 1! 😥

Construction - 49/80 (TXPE 69%)

AM 23 / 26 PM 

Edited by enriqg9

Civil-Structural

AM - 31

PM - 16

Overall 47/80

Took School of PE and felt very confident in the AM. Plan to retake for April 2019, but add EET to prepare for the PM.

• Like 1

Civil-Structural  (Failed)

AM 28/40
PM 20/40

Overall 48/80 

Same deal as above! Took School of PE, morning went better. PM did not go well.

Anyone with 49/80 for Civil-Structural? How close was it?

11 hours ago, enriqg9 said:

First time taker.. missed by 1! 😥

Construction - 49/80 (TXPE 69%)

AM 23 / 26 PM 

I got this same score. ugh

except 22 AM, 27 PM

All this again for 1 question

Edited by tyler_uri