Oct 2019 - Failing scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you guys that just took the exam "feel" like you could "attempt" almost every problem, but had problems coming up with correct numbers, or did you feel for multiple questions you were like "what the heck? What's that? How would anyone know this?" type questions? 

Sorry I'm taking it for the first time in April and I'm just curious how it actually felt while taking the test. 

Can you please elaborate why? 
Don't want to put words in her mouth and I'll let her answer, but I'm guessing CI has problems more closely related to the real exam questions than PPI.  I've also heard similar comments from others who have seen both.  I have CI but not PPI so I can't fairly judge them side by side.  I can only tell you what I've heard.

Don't want to put words in her mouth and I'll let her answer, but I'm guessing CI has problems more closely related to the real exam questions than PPI.  I've also heard similar comments from others who have seen both.  I have CI but not PPI so I can't fairly judge them side by side.  I can only tell you what I've heard.
Sorry I'm stupid. I read that as her saying "Don't get CI if you haven't already". 

She was saying DON'T get PPI, get CI. I completely agree. PPI has gotten alot of my money. Their material is useless for the FE and looks just as outdated for the PE. 

Correct.

I have an older edition of the PPI manual and PPI exam questions. And the exam questions are far far far below what's on the exam. They were for the exam specs that they were written for. It isn't worth the money. I used the PPI manual on the test but never did more than glance at the questions in the practice guide they offer. 

I've never even heard of complex imaginary.  It seems like many of you recommend CI over PPI prep material?  I used PPI for the Oct 2019 exam and I did notice that the questions during practice aren't really the same as far as form and level of difficulty as on the test itself.  I have all the PDF's of the material from the course I took, so I wasn't going to purchase a prep course again, but I was considering purchasing access to their quiz generator, which also comes with a full practice exam.  I'm concerned about buying a book that only allows me to take a single practice exam and that's it.  At the same time, I've given PPI more than enough of my money as it is.

PPI really only helps with basic and speed of doing said basic calculations. CI is much better imo
Exactly. PPI practice test sucks. The CI ones are good and tbh didn't change much at all between their 2011 & 2017 printings.

I've never even heard of complex imaginary.  It seems like many of you recommend CI over PPI prep material?  I used PPI for the Oct 2019 exam and I did notice that the questions during practice aren't really the same as far as form and level of difficulty as on the test itself.  I have all the PDF's of the material from the course I took, so I wasn't going to purchase a prep course again, but I was considering purchasing access to their quiz generator, which also comes with a full practice exam.  I'm concerned about buying a book that only allows me to take a single practice exam and that's it.  At the same time, I've given PPI more than enough of my money as it is.
100% reccommend CI practice tests - theres 4. it comes in one book.

Theres also a Code Drill book. Which I have but never used (whatever my coworker doesn't want to buy off of me, I'll list for sale later so BOLO) 

Here is another to AVOID.

It's massively overpriced for how incredibly basic it is. I wish I had opened the package within the return window so I could have gotten my money back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1725759314/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wow, this REALLY shocks me. I also already own this book, but haven't started it because I'm wanting to finish Zach's course and get my "binder of material" before I start hammering problems outside of his course/quizzes. Wasim's FE book, to me, is the electrical holy grail of the FE exam. It IS BY FAR better than any of the books I owned (I had about 6 including 2 PPI books). 

Good to know early though so I haven't wasted a lot of time on his PE book. 

I think the CI practice problems are fantastic for practicing and refreshing on material, but I don't think they're as difficult as most of the real exam questions. I got vols 1-4 in the one book and practiced all four of those first.

I think the CI practice problems are fantastic for practicing and refreshing on material, but I don't think they're as difficult as most of the real exam questions. I got vols 1-4 in the one book and practiced all four of those first.
I did them as supplemental problems. Never sat down and did the whole exam as timed or at once. 

Wow, this REALLY shocks me. I also already own this book, but haven't started it because I'm wanting to finish Zach's course and get my "binder of material" before I start hammering problems outside of his course/quizzes. Wasim's FE book, to me, is the electrical holy grail of the FE exam. It IS BY FAR better than any of the books I owned (I had about 6 including 2 PPI books). 

Good to know early though so I haven't wasted a lot of time on his PE book. 
If you can get your money back, do it

Last edited by a moderator:
i attended the August online classes from PPI, which one did you attend August or July?

I heard Power Reference Manual by Camara was pretty bad. I didn't get it, so does anyone else have experience with it?

I can't reiterate enough how close some of these questions are to awesomeness.

Like, real close.... Like "this" *fingers touching* close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back