Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
bsimms89

New York License Watch April 2018

Sheesh I feel sorry for you NYer's. Way too long to receive your licence. 

1 hour ago, sportb88 said:

So I got a little annoyed today because it seems they are going in alphabetical order and they are clearly past B at this point. I called and spoke with the rep today and she stated that they actually just got all my information (passing score etc.) TODAY and that my review will take 3-4 weeks from today before I am entered into the system.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that they got some before others but she said they usually get them in batches and told me its not alphabetical and from when they get the results.

Smh, I'm not even going to get my hopes up for when they reach J...

Wow that is rough. I honestly expected better from NYS.

18 hours ago, sportb88 said:

So I got a little annoyed today because it seems they are going in alphabetical order and they are clearly past B at this point. I called and spoke with the rep today and she stated that they actually just got all my information (passing score etc.) TODAY and that my review will take 3-4 weeks from today before I am entered into the system.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that they got some before others but she said they usually get them in batches and told me its not alphabetical and from when they get the results.

I also called them yesterday to ask about my status. I took the chemical exam, which is now computer-based. So I actually took my exam on May 7th and received my results on May 16th instead of testing with the April group. When I called yesterday (6 weeks from when I got my results), the rep told me they haven't even received my results from NCEES yet. She also said that it often takes results from other exams (as in, exams not in the typical April or October test groups) to take longer to submit results to the state. 

So looks like I still have 4+ weeks until I might get my results, depending on when they end up getting my results....

I'm all the way down in the alphabet, they added 1 person yesterday, they were in the F's but the one random person yesterday was an S? IDK how every other states can all have it within a week of results but in NY we're over a month later now and still very few have gotten their licenses? Especially because they review all your experience and FE results before giving you permission to even sit for the PE exam, so what exactly are they reviewing at this point?

Edited by bsimms89

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, bsimms89 said:

I'm all the way down in the alphabet, they added 1 person yesterday, they were in the F's but the one random person yesterday was an S? IDK how every other states can all have it within a week of results but in NY we're over a month later now and still very few have gotten their licenses? Especially because they review all your experience and FE results before giving you permission to even sit for the PE exam, so what exactly are they reviewing at this point?

I was thinking the same thing about what they need to verify - I thought our initial application to the board WAS verification that we were eligible to receive licenses after passing the exam. It would be interesting to see what actually takes so long. We are now at the end of the 4-6 week estimation the state's website gives since the results from NCEES have been released. I wonder if there are a number of other professions which are getting licensed at this time and data input is on a rotation between professions. Although that wouldn't necessarily explain why a few engineering licenses have been assigned over the last couple days.

Guest TeamSharold

It has been weeks since my friends from other states received their physical licenses that they have framed. I wonder what the dealio is for NYS? Could it really take this long to process?

I mean we only have some of the highest state income taxes of anywhere in the country (we have over 8%, while 7 states don't even have a state income tax btw), so I guess it's asking too much for them to be at least in the same region of efficiency of other states that operate on a fraction of the budget they have.

Edited by bsimms89

Seems as of 7/3 they are still in the H's with some random M's D's and C's mixed in, at this rate maybe I'll get my license around the time of the fall exam?

Edited by bsimms89

21 minutes ago, bsimms89 said:

I mean we only have some of the highest state income taxes of anywhere in the country (we have over 8%, while 7 states don't even have a state income tax btw), so I guess it's asking too much for them to be at least in the same region of efficiency of other states that operate on a fraction of the budget they have.

Maybe someone should contact the state senator, congressman, or governor.

6 hours ago, bsimms89 said:

Seems as of 7/3 they are still in the H's with some random M's D's and C's mixed in, at this rate maybe I'll get my license around the time of the fall exam?

I got mine on 7/3 and I have a B last name. I wouldn't really stress the alphabeticalness at this point. I would just keep calling once a week. I was told last week that it would be at least another 3-4 weeks but it wasn't.

Edited by sportb88

On 7/5/2018 at 12:57 PM, sportb88 said:

I got mine on 7/3 and I have a B last name. I wouldn't really stress the alphabeticalness at this point. I would just keep calling once a week. I was told last week that it would be at least another 3-4 weeks but it wasn't.

Yea, they entered just 3 "J" names, and now in the "K's". Gonna wait to see what happens by the end of the day before I start the phone calls. 

As of now they have issued 31 licenses today, they made it from Hs and looks to have made it into the Ms still going alphabeticallyi. Today was the first day they issued licenses since the 3rd, looks like I’ve still got a long wait to go. NYs website says it should take 4-6weeks after the notice of passing for them to issue the licenses, were coming up on 8 weeks right now

Guest Hopefully soon

My interpretation was 4-6 weeks after notice of passing the exam, they'll start entering the names into the online database which will take up to another 4-6 weeks.

The entries appears to be in a quasi-alphabetical order.  Yesterday, there was a C last name interspersed between the HIJK's, and before that, a B.  They appear to have sailed past my last name.

You guys are still waiting?!  In all seriousness it's time to start contacting your assemblypersons and state senators. It'll help if you can show that the delay is somehow costing you money such as lack of business, or delayed promotion or raise.

Tomorrow is 11 months for me 😅

48 minutes ago, John QPE said:

Tomorrow is 11 months for me 😅

Did you try to call them and ask whats the reason behind this 11month wait? 

I got mine exactly 4 weeks after getting the passing result.

14 minutes ago, Vel2018 said:

Did you try to call them and ask whats the reason behind this 11month wait? 

I got mine exactly 4 weeks after getting the passing result.

They passed over my last name (if we're considering alphabetical order),

Called and spoke to them.

They gave the generic "making a final check of the application, and it should be in the system within 3-4 weeks".

What year did you submit your application?

35 minutes ago, engStruc said:

They passed over my last name (if we're considering alphabetical order),

Called and spoke to them.

They gave the generic "making a final check of the application, and it should be in the system within 3-4 weeks".

What year did you submit your application?

It was back in 2014. When I called them, the lady I spoke to looked through my files to check if everything is good to go.

Then yeah she said they are putting up the grades already at that time and said they will process it in the order it was received? And yes, I got that standard response 4-6weeks I should get my license #. But a week later after than phone call I got mine. 

4 minutes ago, Vel2018 said:

It was back in 2014. When I called them, the lady I spoke to looked through my files to check if everything is good to go.

Then yeah she said they are putting up the grades already at that time and said they will process it in the order it was received? And yes, I got that standard response 4-6weeks I should get my license #. But a week later after than phone call I got mine. 

My application was sent in 2016. I wonder if they are going based on application year, the engineer discipline you're in, etc. 

I tried calling yesterday, was put on hold for 40 minutes before I gave up, emailed the engineering office at the office of the professions, they said they forwarded my questions to the processing unit and apologized for their (the processing unit's) delay. So it seems that it's not the engineering licensing office that's the cause of the delay its the license processing unit for the office of the professions.

So far today they've issued 20 more licenses but are back in the L's as pretty much every name today was an L name

On 7/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, bsimms89 said:

I mean we only have some of the highest state income taxes of anywhere in the country (we have over 8%, while 7 states don't even have a state income tax btw),

Woah, someone has a verrrry high income or doesn't understand tax brackets.

Income up to $21,400 is taxed at 6.45%, and the marginal rate doesn't climb above 6.85% until you make over $1,077,550 (at which point, only the income OVER that amount is taxed at 8.82%)

So if your effective state tax rate is over 8%...

Guest TANK89

My Last name starts with a Z. I expect to see my license number sometime next spring ;)

Well at the end of the day the exact percentage doesn't matter, we're still among the highest taxed states with on of the least effective state government.

Oh and as of today they're into the P's, still no license for me yet