Good Luck on your exams - Page 2 - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Road Guy

Good Luck on your exams

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, monty01 said:

That's some funny chit.  It brings up a question though and i haven't looked into it, but slapping on a pair of noise cancelling earphones would be nice.  Has anybody tried using earplugs to block out noise?  I can also see there being a lot of foot tappers.  It's been so long since I've taken the FE, i don't even remember if anything like that bugged me.

I brought earplugs with me and had to use them. They did a new thing this year (I'm a repeat taker) and they only allowed two references at any one time on top of the table (you were allowed to keep other references on the floor, but you had to swap one for the other). So there was 360 degrees of paper rustling and dropping books/binders. Quite the din.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also brought ear plugs but ended out not needing them (Nashville TN).

I agree the eraser was a pain...

Took the mechanical HVAC. Went well I think. No matter how much I try to relax and take it easy, Definitely have been freaking out waiting on the results. And yes I'm refreshing the ncees page excessively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tehparadox said:

Agreed about the pencil.  Dumb eraser sheared off on my first use, then smeared my scantron. 

Seriously?? Wow, sorry to hear that. That must have been stressful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy next to me was in a total sweat and 2-3 proctors had to come by and made a commotion trying to help him out. I, of course, was much more confident in my answers! :rotflmao::rotflmao:Not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I was more pissed than anything because it was literally the second question that I was working on, plus I was not used to using pencils with the side button.  I kept pressing the top of the pencil all day. Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoo boy...pucker factor 11 right there. I kept pressing the top, too. I want my artisan pencils made in France! Not in some dingy factory in China.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, squaretaper said:

The guy next to me was in a total sweat and 2-3 proctors had to come by and made a commotion trying to help him out. I, of course, was much more confident in my answers! :rotflmao::rotflmao:Not!

you looked poised/composed to me from the back row getting yelled at for having redbulls...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ME_VT said:

you looked poised/composed to me from the back row getting yelled at for having redbulls...

ME_VT was a champ at talking down the proctors from the ledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, squaretaper said:

ME_VT was a champ at talking down the proctors from the ledge.

Thank god a cracked a few jokes to break the tension early on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, squaretaper said:

I brought earplugs with me and had to use them. They did a new thing this year (I'm a repeat taker) and they only allowed two references at any one time on top of the table (you were allowed to keep other references on the floor, but you had to swap one for the other). So there was 360 degrees of paper rustling and dropping books/binders. Quite the din.

That sucks. We were allowed as many references on our table as we wanted in Salem, OR. 

 

As as for the earlier comment about noise canceling headphones/earbuds. No go on any electronic earbuds. Just foam or rubber type ear plugs are allowed. No music playing type. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 3:42 PM, ptatohed said:

Thanks knight!

Howly cow!  I never thought the day would come.  The previous design was, what?  Like 16 years old?  Does this mean that those of us with the previous design now own a "classic"?  Worth more money?  ;)  I don't care if I have to beg, borrow, or steal..... I am getting my paws on one of these new models.  :nod:    

Oooh, I passed with the last of the classic model.  That sounds fancy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, tehparadox said:

 I was more pissed than anything because it was literally the second question that I was working on, plus I was not used to using pencils with the side button.  I kept pressing the top of the pencil all day. Lol 

word! those pencils threw me off too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 12:14 PM, squaretaper said:

I brought earplugs with me and had to use them. They did a new thing this year (I'm a repeat taker) and they only allowed two references at any one time on top of the table (you were allowed to keep other references on the floor, but you had to swap one for the other). So there was 360 degrees of paper rustling and dropping books/binders. Quite the din.

That would be a total nightmare for the structural guys! We were allowed to keep as many as we needed on the desk (Denver)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It must be a new thing in Sacramento. I've never heard that rule before. The proctor was apologetic and said "it's not my rule," but still. Someone must have given her that directive and I can understand they don't want people building "forts" around themselves.

Oh well, by the end it was a free-for-all anyway and everyone had all their books on the table, feverishly flipping through references. The PE experience is...unique. Only other engineers get it and I like this little tribe of ours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha- true. Even with being allowed to keep most of my references on the desk, I felt I spent most of the 4 hours frantically pulling up one book/code after the other. Oh well- my biceps feel a little toned at least - LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018 at 9:27 AM, squaretaper said:

It must be a new thing in Sacramento. I've never heard that rule before. The proctor was apologetic and said "it's not my rule," but still. Someone must have given her that directive and I can understand they don't want people building "forts" around themselves.

I was told the same thing when I took it in San Mateo two years ago, so I think it might be a CA thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A proctor took my official NCEES pencil in Maryland. I know it's a little thing, but dammit I'm still pissed. After turning in my exam after  the PM, I began packing up my things. Tossed the pencil in my plastic bin and started to walk away from my table. Proctor screeched in like a night hawk pouncing on a squirrel and told me I had to leave the pencil on the table. I was incredulous. And more than a little bit indignant. "This pencil cost me $350". She said, "That's why they want it back". I was too fatigued from having run that marathon to put up more of a fight and just walked away. Walking through the parking lot and what do I see? Yep, other test takers walking out with their official pencils.. WTF??

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jimbo Three said:

A proctor took my official NCEES pencil in Maryland. I know it's a little thing, but dammit I'm still pissed. After turning in my exam after  the PM, I began packing up my things. Tossed the pencil in my plastic bin and started to walk away from my table. Proctor screeched in like a night hawk pouncing on a squirrel and told me I had to leave the pencil on the table. I was incredulous. And more than a little bit indignant. "This pencil cost me $350". She said, "That's why they want it back". I was too fatigued from having run that marathon to put up more of a fight and just walked away. Walking through the parking lot and what do I see? Yep, other test takers walking out with their official pencils.. WTF??

Lol why? In NYC, after I finished the exam, I called the proctors attention and he collected my test booklet and answer sheet, I then also hand over the pencil, but he did not take it and he just looked at me so ok, I knew its a sign I take it home! Jajaja

What would they do with a used $1 pencil anyway? It would cost them more to recycle those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you read the instructions during the exam?  During the October exam,  I thought they had it written on the exam instructions that you can take the pencil but to lease everything else they supplied (test booklets, sign in card and blotter)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took it in Louisiana and the proctor let us keep our pencil and gave me two that were left by other people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jperry1221 said:

I took it in Louisiana and the proctor let us keep our pencil and gave me two that were left by other people.

 

4 hours ago, youngmotivatedengineer said:

Did you read the instructions during the exam?  During the October exam,  I thought they had it written on the exam instructions that you can take the pencil but to lease everything else they supplied (test booklets, sign in card and blotter)

I really like the pencil, hopefully, this is the only one that I need to collect. Was last round having a different design?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jimbo Three said:

A proctor took my official NCEES pencil in Maryland. I know it's a little thing, but dammit I'm still pissed. After turning in my exam after  the PM, I began packing up my things. Tossed the pencil in my plastic bin and started to walk away from my table. Proctor screeched in like a night hawk pouncing on a squirrel and told me I had to leave the pencil on the table. I was incredulous. And more than a little bit indignant. "This pencil cost me $350". She said, "That's why they want it back". I was too fatigued from having run that marathon to put up more of a fight and just walked away. Walking through the parking lot and what do I see? Yep, other test takers walking out with their official pencils.. WTF??

Does the resident authority on NCEES pencils @ptatohed know of this treachery? <smh>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, Jimbo Three said:

A proctor took my official NCEES pencil in Maryland. I know it's a little thing, but dammit I'm still pissed. After turning in my exam after  the PM, I began packing up my things. Tossed the pencil in my plastic bin and started to walk away from my table. Proctor screeched in like a night hawk pouncing on a squirrel and told me I had to leave the pencil on the table. I was incredulous. And more than a little bit indignant. "This pencil cost me $350". She said, "That's why they want it back". I was too fatigued from having run that marathon to put up more of a fight and just walked away. Walking through the parking lot and what do I see? Yep, other test takers walking out with their official pencils.. WTF??

'Gasp'.  The horror!  This is why I recommend every examinee memorize my signature line!  ;)  Seriously, I really did print out and bring with me the NCEES exam-day rules (including the 'keep the pencil policy' in my signature) just in case any issues arose, I could point to the official rules.  

 

5 hours ago, knight1fox3 said:

Does the resident authority on NCEES pencils @ptatohed know of this treachery? <smh>

Thanks a  lot for pointing this out knight..... and depressing the heck out of me.  :-[::::::::  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...