Good Luck on your exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It must be a new thing in Sacramento. I've never heard that rule before. The proctor was apologetic and said "it's not my rule," but still. Someone must have given her that directive and I can understand they don't want people building "forts" around themselves.

Oh well, by the end it was a free-for-all anyway and everyone had all their books on the table, feverishly flipping through references. The PE experience is...unique. Only other engineers get it and I like this little tribe of ours.

Ha ha- true. Even with being allowed to keep most of my references on the desk, I felt I spent most of the 4 hours frantically pulling up one book/code after the other. Oh well- my biceps feel a little toned at least - LOL

It must be a new thing in Sacramento. I've never heard that rule before. The proctor was apologetic and said "it's not my rule," but still. Someone must have given her that directive and I can understand they don't want people building "forts" around themselves.
I was told the same thing when I took it in San Mateo two years ago, so I think it might be a CA thing?

A proctor took my official NCEES pencil in Maryland. I know it's a little thing, but dammit I'm still pissed. After turning in my exam after  the PM, I began packing up my things. Tossed the pencil in my plastic bin and started to walk away from my table. Proctor screeched in like a night hawk pouncing on a squirrel and told me I had to leave the pencil on the table. I was incredulous. And more than a little bit indignant. "This pencil cost me $350". She said, "That's why they want it back". I was too fatigued from having run that marathon to put up more of a fight and just walked away. Walking through the parking lot and what do I see? Yep, other test takers walking out with their official pencils.. WTF??

A proctor took my official NCEES pencil in Maryland. I know it's a little thing, but dammit I'm still pissed. After turning in my exam after  the PM, I began packing up my things. Tossed the pencil in my plastic bin and started to walk away from my table. Proctor screeched in like a night hawk pouncing on a squirrel and told me I had to leave the pencil on the table. I was incredulous. And more than a little bit indignant. "This pencil cost me $350". She said, "That's why they want it back". I was too fatigued from having run that marathon to put up more of a fight and just walked away. Walking through the parking lot and what do I see? Yep, other test takers walking out with their official pencils.. WTF??
Lol why? In NYC, after I finished the exam, I called the proctors attention and he collected my test booklet and answer sheet, I then also hand over the pencil, but he did not take it and he just looked at me so ok, I knew its a sign I take it home! Jajaja

What would they do with a used $1 pencil anyway? It would cost them more to recycle those. 

Did you read the instructions during the exam?  During the October exam,  I thought they had it written on the exam instructions that you can take the pencil but to lease everything else they supplied (test booklets, sign in card and blotter)

I took it in Louisiana and the proctor let us keep our pencil and gave me two that were left by other people.

Did you read the instructions during the exam?  During the October exam,  I thought they had it written on the exam instructions that you can take the pencil but to lease everything else they supplied (test booklets, sign in card and blotter)
I really like the pencil, hopefully, this is the only one that I need to collect. Was last round having a different design?

Does the resident authority on NCEES pencils @ptatohed know of this treachery? <smh>

'Gasp'.  The horror!  This is why I recommend every examinee memorize my signature line!  ;)   Seriously, I really did print out and bring with me the NCEES exam-day rules (including the 'keep the pencil policy' in my signature) just in case any issues arose, I could point to the official rules.  

Does the resident authority on NCEES pencils @ptatohed know of this treachery? <smh>
Thanks a  lot for pointing this out knight..... and depressing the heck out of me.  :-[::::::::  

Lol why? In NYC, after I finished the exam, I called the proctors attention and he collected my test booklet and answer sheet, I then also hand over the pencil, but he did not take it and he just looked at me so ok, I knew its a sign I take it home! Jajaja

What would they do with a used $1 pencil anyway? It would cost them more to recycle those. 
Personally, I think this is justification for a permaban.  Sorry Vel, I'm sure you are a great guy and everything but this poor judgement is just plain inexcusable behavior.    

Personally, I think this is justification for a permaban.  Sorry Vel, I'm sure you are a great guy and everything but this poor judgement is just plain inexcusable behavior.    
I know right! Its my first time take the exam, just trying to avoid what happened to Jimbo hehe

'Gasp'.  The horror!  This is why I recommend every examinee memorize my signature line!  ;)   Seriously, I really did print out and bring with me the NCEES exam-day rules (including the 'keep the pencil policy' in my signature) just in case any issues arose, I could point to the official rules.  

Thanks a  lot for pointing this out knight..... and depressing the heck out of me.  :-[::::::::  
I probably could have put up more of a fight over it, but.. I was leaving the PM about 30 minutes early and didn't want to make "a scene" since most of other candidates were still working.

Booooo! I also took it in MD, got to keep my pencil. I even asked my proctor before putting the it in my box and she said it was a-okay. There were definitely some proctors that were more chill than others. 

If you want a souvenir from good old Timonium, I can mail you mine. 

Booooo! I also took it in MD, got to keep my pencil. I even asked my proctor before putting the it in my box and she said it was a-okay. There were definitely some proctors that were more chill than others. 

If you want a souvenir from good old Timonium, I can mail you mine. 
Thanks.. Yeah, I definitely got the feeling that the proctor for my section was relatively new, based on some of the pre-test banter she was having with the candidates near me.. She probably just wanted a souvenir to commemorate the passing of a major milestone enroute toward fulfillment of a self-imposed career/personal goal that she had had for the past 15+ years. Oh wait, that was me. Maybe she just really liked that newfangled side click style mechanical pencil. Who can blame her, right?

This was my third time taking the test in Houston, but i was finally able to bring the pencil home this time.  Maybe its a sign that I have finally beat the Civil WRE exam. 

This was my third time taking the test in Houston, but i was finally able to bring the pencil home this time.  Maybe its a sign that I have finally beat the Civil WRE exam. 
Good luck on this try, it is perceived by the invigilator so you were allowed to take the pencil home.

Back