Geotech Depth Difficulty October 2017 - Page 2 - Geotech - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
SDB

Geotech Depth Difficulty October 2017

@SDB, it's okay! They're gone now. I figured they probably weren't on purpose!

To all those waiting for results.... Spend some time and relax on the spam board! Results are unlikely to be released until it's goal is reached, so really, it's in your best interest to join in the fun.

• Like 1

How many geotechs have passed here?

Didn't pass. Wasn't expecting what I got in Morning. 

Subsurface investigations

Training Course in Geotechnical And Foundation Engineering             Publication No FHWA HI-97-021 November 1997

NHI courseNo  Module 1

47 minutes ago, Mohican said:

First time exam taker here....Civil Geotech...I failed. And I felt well prepared. The PM session was not what I was expecting nor was much of it part of the PPI or NCEES practice exams. So I will study more and retake it in April and hope to never go through this again!! LOL I didn't do too bad in all reality, but it wasn't good enough to pass.

18 minutes ago, Hnoj said:

Training Course in Geotechnical And Foundation Engineering             Publication No FHWA HI-97-021 November 1997

NHI courseNo  Module 1

Thanks, I will print that out and bring it next time. I had both Coduto books (Geotech Eng and Foundations) which were also pretty useful. Anything else from FHWA that you found particularly useful?

19 minutes ago, Hnoj said:

NHI courseNo  Module 1

Follow up question...how do I get rid of "Archive" that is printed on every page of that manual? Or am I stuck with it....thanks!

49 minutes ago, Hnoj said:

I passed

Congratulation!!!!!!!!

You are definitely one of the best geotech out there for sure. 

11 hours ago, mrs blybrook said:

Thanks, I will print that out and bring it next time. I had both Coduto books (Geotech Eng and Foundations) which were also pretty useful. Anything else from FHWA that you found particularly useful?

Principles of Foundation Engineering ( DAS)

11 hours ago, mrs blybrook said:

Follow up question...how do I get rid of "Archive" that is printed on every page of that manual? Or am I stuck with it....thanks!

If you have  Adobe Pro you  can delete any unnecessary  pages. I did that while  was waiting  for  My exam results.

11 hours ago, Mohican said:

Congratulation!!!!!!!!

You are definitely one of the best geotech out there for sure. 

Thank you.

Not all students are the same, therefore standardized tests are impractical. Albert Einstein once said, “Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

8 hours ago, Hnoj said:

OK I dont have that one, but I will look into locating a copy.

8 hours ago, Hnoj said:

If you have  Adobe Pro you  can delete any unnecessary  pages. I did that while  was waiting  for  My exam results.

Yeah, I kinda figured that might be the case....ok I will browse FHWA website for additional sources. I can see that removing useless pages before printing would be helpful.

20 hours ago, Mohican said:

I failed and this was my first time taking the test ... also got what I was not expecting in the morning!

8 hours ago, Hnoj said:

I seen many people recommending this, I looked it up on Amazon and seen different ones or editions, can you post a picture of which one is?

20 hours ago, Hnoj said:

This is was my Second time

Also what have you done different from your first attempt? did you have to get new study materials or additional materials or just worked more on the same? if you can list some of the study materials you think helped most beside the one you mentioned. and CONGRATULATIONS

I took it first time and passed. I took the ASCE review course. It wasn't great for geotech, but it did help with some stuff. Working all of the 6-minute problems helped me be very familiar with reference material. It was very different from the practice exam though.

For references I had the CERM, Das and Cudotu- Foundations, Kramer-Seismic, and Holtz and Kovacs for fundamental geotech. I think if I would have had to do it again I would have brought the NAVFAC or an army corps reference for some of the obscure stuff (like well drawdown). I also had my ASCE review course notes, which were particularly helpful for the Breadth section.

Also, it would have been useful to have a basic book on geosynthetics as there were a few questions on that subject on the test.

Just now, fsrwc5 said:

I took it first time and passed. I took the ASCE review course. It wasn't great for geotech, but it did help with some stuff. Working all of the 6-minute problems helped me be very familiar with reference material. It was very different from the practice exam though.

Congratulations! what else did you study? and how did you find the geo part was it familiar

1 minute ago, wedyan said:

Congratulations! what else did you study? and how did you find the geo part was it familiar

I studied the review questions from the ASCE course. I also took the depth practice exams from lindeberg as timed practice tests. In addition to the NCEES practice test.