Geotech Depth Difficulty October 2017

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have  Adobe Pro you  can delete any unnecessary  pages. I did that while  was waiting  for  My exam results.
Yeah, I kinda figured that might be the case....ok I will browse FHWA website for additional sources. I can see that removing useless pages before printing would be helpful.

How many geotechs have passed here?

Didn't pass. Wasn't expecting what I got in Morning. 
I failed and this was my first time taking the test ... also got what I was not expecting in the morning!

Principles of Foundation Engineering ( DAS)
I seen many people recommending this, I looked it up on Amazon and seen different ones or editions, can you post a picture of which one is?

This is was my Second time
Also what have you done different from your first attempt? did you have to get new study materials or additional materials or just worked more on the same? if you can list some of the study materials you think helped most beside the one you mentioned. and CONGRATULATIONS

I took it first time and passed. I took the ASCE review course. It wasn't great for geotech, but it did help with some stuff. Working all of the 6-minute problems helped me be very familiar with reference material. It was very different from the practice exam though.

For references I had the CERM, Das and Cudotu- Foundations, Kramer-Seismic, and Holtz and Kovacs for fundamental geotech. I think if I would have had to do it again I would have brought the NAVFAC or an army corps reference for some of the obscure stuff (like well drawdown). I also had my ASCE review course notes, which were particularly helpful for the Breadth section.

Also, it would have been useful to have a basic book on geosynthetics as there were a few questions on that subject on the test.

I took it first time and passed. I took the ASCE review course. It wasn't great for geotech, but it did help with some stuff. Working all of the 6-minute problems helped me be very familiar with reference material. It was very different from the practice exam though.
Congratulations! what else did you study? and how did you find the geo part was it familiar

Congratulations! what else did you study? and how did you find the geo part was it familiar
I studied the review questions from the ASCE course. I also took the depth practice exams from lindeberg as timed practice tests. In addition to the NCEES practice test.

Most of the basic stuff like retaining wall, bearing capacity, etc. was familiar. Weird stuff for me was well drawdown, geosynthetics, and some of the seismic stuff.

Most of the basic stuff like retaining wall, bearing capacity, etc. was familiar. Weird stuff for me was well drawdown, geosynthetics, and some of the seismic stuff.
Same here! it was horrible experience that I'll have to go through it again but will wait I guess till next October I think I need more books to help

Same here! it was horrible experience that I'll have to go through it again but will wait I guess till next October I think I need more books to help
Honestly, I think the CERM had basically everything I needed. With the exception of some obscure questions.  Did you take a review course? I took the ASCE course, which was decent. It was discounted through my local ASCE chapter as well. They may have something similar where you are at. I'm in Oklahoma City.

Honestly, I think the CERM had basically everything I needed. With the exception of some obscure questions.  Did you take a review course? I took the ASCE course, which was decent. It was discounted through my local ASCE chapter as well. They may have something similar where you are at. I'm in Oklahoma City.
goswami or lindeburg? I have both but didn't go through every single page but on the exam I looked through both and got lucky on few, I took Testmasters course and it was OK for the morning part but not helpful for the Geotechnical it was so basic.. I live in Houston, Texas

I had the lindeberg practice tests. I worked the first one like it was a real test and got a 50% on it. The second one i worked about 3 problems in an hour and gave up. I did go though the solutions to each question for practice though.

goswami or lindeburg? I have both but didn't go through every single page but on the exam I looked through both and got lucky on few, I took Testmasters course and it was OK for the morning part but not helpful for the Geotechnical it was so basic.. I live in Houston, Texas
You might try the ASCE course. It isn't so rigorous but they do a good job letting you know what you need to actually study and what you can skip.

Back