Personal Experience Passing the FE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus_Aurelius

Reaction score
I am very happy since I just passed my FE Civil exam today! I will like to share my personal experience passing the FE Exam (in a condensed form) since I did visit this website to read about other candidates who failed or passed the FE exam.

I took the exam 3 times and passed on the third try. I took the exam in my 3rd year (2014) and failed because I had not fully prepared. In my mind, I felt it was just an experience to get a feel how the  exam was. For the second time (2015), I took the exam in my last year after taking courses such as concrete, steel, structural design, transportation engineering etc. and spent about a month studying and still failed.

Finally, I rescheduled immediately after failure and postponed the test date to January (2016). I tried to reschedule the exam a night before the test date thinking I was not ready since I did not study and other new material but could not due to the 48 hour rescheduling period. 

I am not super smart and would consider myself an average student but these are the techniques I applied for the test.

1. The most important of all is TIME. The exam is a 5 hour 30 minutes exam. I spent about 1 hour 30 minutes for the first 55 questions. In the past I had used about more than 2 hours 30 min for the first section which is the easiest of both sections and found myself short on time with almost 20-30 questions to go for the second section. Your target will be to have more time for the second section of about 55-57 questions. I will suggest about 3 hours or 2 hours 45 minutes.

2. Know how to search and find  equations using the provided reference manual also available on NCEES website for free.

3. Know how to use your calculator.

4. Do not dwell on a question for more than 3 minutes. Move on! Guess an answer (pick the best possible answer) and flag for a review if you have time. I mostly stuck to picking  the C or D (mostly) C if I could not deduce the right answer. 

I hope this helps!

One Happy EIT.

Back