Resumes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petergibbons

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good websites containing resume and cover letter information? I used a Word template for mine and I don't think it's good enough. Also, if any of you do the hiring, what do you look for in a resume and cover letter? Any interview tips will also be appreciated. Thanks for any help!

When I finished college, I bought a resume builder program for my computer.

It worked really well, and gave me some good do's and do not's, cover letter phrasing, action words employers like, etc.

Does anyone know of any good websites containing resume and cover letter information?  I used a Word template for mine and I don't think it's good enough.  Also, if any of you do the hiring, what do you look for in a resume and cover letter?  Any interview tips will also be appreciated.  Thanks for any help!
I see you watched the governor's speech last night. :"the other board" mole:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I look for a resume that is 1 page, 2 at most. If I need more info than that, I'll call you. It should be clean looking, not crowded, but not triple spaced either. Make it easy to understand and don't go overboard on the details. As for the cover letter, it should be personalized. Call the company to figure out who will be looking at it and address it to them. And the cover letter should definately be short, I don't have too much time to read it.

To me, when looking for a job the most important thing is to follow up. Send the resume, call 3-5 days later. I might have liked the resume and just forgotten to call you.

I don't think I have any great insights here, but I hope it helps!

Does anyone know of any good websites containing resume and cover letter information? I used a Word template for mine and I don't think it's good enough. Also, if any of you do the hiring, what do you look for in a resume and cover letter? Any interview tips will also be appreciated. Thanks for any help!
On the resume and cover letter, I look for someone that's qualified to do the job. I also like to see a goal statement that's in line with the opening I've got to fill. You should tailor your goal statement to the individual position you're applying for. We have very very low turn over here, so I'm not really interested in someone that's got plans to do something completely unrelated down the road. Also, keep the resume and cover letter short and sweet. I'm not gonna read three or four detailed paragraphs about your experience. Your experience shouldn't be anything like what you put in your PE application, IMO. (as far as length and detail goes)

As far as the interview goes, I look for someone who's personality will mesh well with others in the office. The nuts and bolts qualifications are listed on the resume, and the interview is really to get to know the person a little bit, and see how well they represent themselves, etc. I usually ask questions of the person related to their experience to see if they're glossing over their resume, or just flat out making stuff up. Someone could have killer qualifications, but if they can't talk to customers or interact well with people that would be a deal breaker. That's just my take on things, for what it's worth.

Does anyone know of any good websites containing resume and cover letter information?? I used a Word template for mine and I don't think it's good enough.? Also, if any of you do the hiring, what do you look for in a resume and cover letter?? Any interview tips will also be appreciated.? Thanks for any help!
I see you watched the governor's speech last night. :ppi mole:
I don't even think I'm gonna go to the ASHE meeting tonight now. Might go to the gym instead.

Someone could have killer qualifications, but if they can't talk to customers or interact well with people that would be a deal breaker. That's just my take on things, for what it's worth.
If only they would put that on the PE exam, I'd might have passed.

Another question: do you always need to send a cover letter or is it OK to send only resume when responding to ads that do not mention wanting a cover letter?

I always give a cover letter along with the resume.

My strategy is to use the cover letter to expand upon the bulleted items in the resume. A few brief sentences about education, experience, certifications, and general areas of expertise.

I usually ask the employer if there's any other useful information I could bring to the interview - writing sample, plans, etc.

Does anyone know of any good websites containing resume and cover letter information?  I used a Word template for mine and I don't think it's good enough.  Also, if any of you do the hiring, what do you look for in a resume and cover letter?  Any interview tips will also be appreciated.  Thanks for any help!
I have asked this question before in the 'other' forum :"the other board": :die:.

I was left with combing the internet for examples of resumes that worked :read: I also hit the bookstore - Borders is the most diverse in my town.

In general I have found:

- short works the best - 1 page preferable, 2 if you must

- simple formatting

- cover letter that expands on the IMPORTANT points

I wish there were more sources of information since resumes/cover letters are how we market ourselves. One would think there would be more available information - or at least a consensus on what works.

Good luck.

JR

We just made an offer to a guy from FL. He accepted. Dude is moving from Sunny "year round golfing" Florida to come here.

We just made an offer to a guy from FL.  He accepted.  Dude is moving from Sunny "year round golfing" Florida to come here.
Actually, I am very seriously looking into moving from FL too :true:

It is not as sunny as you think it is and the golf is overpriced.

JR

^^^And it's way to hot and humid, all of the time, and the state is filled with cadavers that still drive. I'm growing more and more dissatisfied with the place. I wish my job/company were located somewhere with an actual climate and seasons of some sort. The only two seasons we have are hurricane season, and ancient snow bird dodging season, during which you attempt to survive for 5 months while they're all down here actively trying to murder you on the highways. North Florida is probably much better than here weather wise, but it's still hot most of the time.

300 + days of sunshine / year in Denver. :true:

ok, this is the worst winter in history this year, but I like it.

Not having seasons would bother me. All the seasons look so much different around here and each one has something going for it.

Although if it's gonna be this cold, at least give us some snow to go with it.

That is one of the things I miss from TN. The changes of the seasons were nice. Visited Denver last year during April and enjoyed a snow fall.
5.gif

Never been in VT but would like to visit. By the way: Do you know somebody at the power utility company VTE?

All the seasons look so much different around here and each one has something going for it.
Same here in WV. At this point, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Though I have thought about moving to a location withing driving distance of the ocean, possibly the Carolinas.

Back