self reliance!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
these pics are pretty cool.. very engenius (sp?)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...ves-houses.html

article-1388660-0C24804300000578-687_964x551.jpg

article-1388660-0C2432AC00000578-841_964x593.jpg

That is insane to look at...the top picture was in the local paper. I'm pretty sure I would just live in panic if that was my house. That's like the folks who have to wait and see if their fire break is going to work in a wildfire. Good gosh.

of course they could have just done nothing and waited to blame FEMA or someone else.....

It is going to be interesting to watch what effect there is on food prices. They flooded an awful lot of farmland to save NO.

did the article say where they got their dirt/sand to build those...just dug a really big hole in a part of their Farm? So they can just move it back when the flood recesses?

THat is a LOT of earthen material.

They flooded an awful lot of farmland to save NO.
... and the rest of Louisiana so that you and everyone else here can enjoy the crops we grow in this state along the Mississippi River. Not to mention gasoline, plastic, chlorine, oil, ammonia, PVC, electricity, natural gas as well as other feedstocks we make to feed into other industries around the globe - LPG, LNG, ethane, alumina, etc...

But, yeah, saving New Orleans could have been the only reason.

one thing we learned in the Ga Floods of 2009 is that if the Feds Declare a national disaster you dont need any permits! (local, state, or Federal)

More!

Okay, this one I get:

article-1388660-0C24806B00000578-130_964x433.jpg

This one, I don't get. Maybe just a guy with a big tractor out back of the shack and too much time on his hands.

article-1388660-0C25E69700000578-339_964x592.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]Epic Fail:[/SIZE]

article-1388660-0C27A50800000578-65_964x670.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^the second one...maybe he has lots of goodies inside the house, guilded walls, lots of antiques...rough looking outside to keep the burglers away.

the epic fail one must have been closer to the river and they guessed wrong on the flood stage.

I actually like the second house, but I'm partial to the rustic look with large porches and metal rood.

I can't believe someone was driving that dozer across the hill rather than up and down in places. Guy must have had real trust in his ROPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
so i wonder for the people whose dam worked, I wonder if they will leave them in place? weather is very weird around the country lately..

amazing...makes me glad I don't live in an area prone to flooding...great work, except for the one fail...

The one that failed - he should have made higher, even if he had to make it smaller.

Back