CA Seismic/Survey - Self Study Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning on self studying for both the Surveying and the Siesmic test in Q4 of 2022. I’m looking for any self study tips that you have.

I’m a structural engineer that has passed the SE exam so I feel pretty good about the Siesmic test. I have no experience in surveying so I’m starting from scratch on that one.

I just took the Survey exam today, used the CPESR reference manual and Reza's "Civil Surveying Review Workshop" and felt very confident.
Also correct me if I'm wrong but if you haven't registered to take those exams yet you'll have to wait until Q1 2023. I don't think you can sign up for a Q4 exam if we're currently in Q4.

I just took the Survey exam today, used the CPESR reference manual and Reza's "Civil Surveying Review Workshop" and felt very confident.
Also correct me if I'm wrong but if you haven't registered to take those exams yet you'll have to wait until Q1 2023. I don't think you can sign up for a Q4 exam if we're currently in Q4.
When you say "sign up" do you mean with the board or with the testing agency?

If you have not signed up with the board, you are correct. When you log into Connect you will only be presented with Q1 and Q2.

If you have already requested the exam on Connect (at the same time you did the survey, maybe) and only need to sign up with the testing agency, you should be able to test in Q4 2002.

Good Luck

Seismic should be fine.

For survey, I bought access to the CPESR online test bank and I thought it was pretty good. Questions were slightly harder than the exam but good practice. Do about 9 to 10 practice exams (400~500 questions) and you should be ready. Remember the concept themselves are easy, it's just the time constraint that's difficult to deal with.
  • Always do timed practice
  • Don't get pigeon-holed into a problem that you can't solve within 3 minutes. Move on and come back after
  • Conceptual questions are easy points. Make sure you get those. The CPESR reference manual has a pretty good index/glossary section
  • If you are able to get 80%+ on a timed CPESR practice test, you have pretty good chance of passing

Back