Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keto is a very cute idea and that's pretty much it. People, carbs are not the problem.

(NB: Not targeted at @JayKay PE 's post, just having a personal chuckle at the expense of a nutrition "expert" at the office who talks a lot and easily has a BMI of 35+)

On topic: still only 0.5 pound away from goal weight and managed to dodge the gauntlet of Halloween and Thanksgiving without gaining anything. Final boss is Christmas, should be fine. Today also marks 1 year alcohol free. No real reason other than was getting tired of people pushing it and making me do things I didn't want to do. 2021 was about asserting boundaries, 2022 will be Rev 2.0.

Last edited:
I agree, carbs aren’t the problem. Processed foods, and a general lack of a balanced diet are the problems. Agree, not targeted at anyone. Just speaking out into the internet!

The old adage always rings true… Abs are made in the kitchen but revealed with exercise. In other words, it’s a two pronged approach that will lead to the best results. But if you can only focus on one thing at a time for various reasons, I’m a strong believer in nutrition over exercise. We are what we eat!

I did keto for over a year. I lost a ton of weight and my cholesterol improved, along with all my blood test results. Also I consistently felt physical and mentally better.

I am a firm believer that there is no single right answer. Everyone is different, and every approach has positives and negatives. You have to find something that works for you.

Ultimately I didn't stick with keto because it's SUPER inconvenient, unless you cook every meal for yourself. It's really hard to be keto compliant when you eat out/get takeout. Life doesn't allow us to cook 3 meals a day, every day.

That being said, there's a ton of bad info about keto out there. My wife and I (mostly her) researched keto for several months (maybe longer) before we actually started.

I agree, carbs aren’t the problem. Processed foods, and a general lack of a balanced diet are the problems.
I agree with this. That being said the 2 things are highly connected. There's a TON of hidden carbs in processed foods... and it's mostly empty carbs.

If Americans would switch to consistently preparing their own fresh foods. We would also consume a ton less carbs. .... for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
@leggo PE so I challenged myself to go one year. Any additional time is bonus. A Bobarita may appear in my hand around Cinco de Mayo! :LOL:
I actually don't drink that much anymore, but I think I might limit it to one drink an outing (if people are drinking as well). I just find when I drink I end up drinking too much. I also have a goal of trying to lose 20lbs next year. Def going to try and be more conscious about calorie counting.

@jean15paul_PE the reason I'm not doing keto is due to a family history of having high cholesterol and triglycerides I don't think I could ever restrict myself as much as a keto diet requires, so I'd just end up eating a ton more protein/red meat with carbs, which would prob kill me. I'm going to concentrate on trying to lose weight first, which will hopefully help lower my cholesterol. Triglycerides were finally in a good range (went from 206 to 140 in less than six months), and my doctor said I only need to come in a year instead of six months like I've been doing.

Plus if I lose 20lbs I'll be within a normal BMI AND I get to go to Vegas with @tj_PE

I actually don't drink that much anymore, but I think I might limit it to one drink an outing (if people are drinking as well). I just find when I drink I end up drinking too much. I also have a goal of trying to lose 20lbs next year. Def going to try and be more conscious about calorie counting.

@jean15paul_PE the reason I'm not doing keto is due to a family history of having high cholesterol and triglycerides I don't think I could ever restrict myself as much as a keto diet requires, so I'd just end up eating a ton more protein/red meat with carbs, which would prob kill me. I'm going to concentrate on trying to lose weight first, which will hopefully help lower my cholesterol. Triglycerides were finally in a good range (went from 206 to 140 in less than six months), and my doctor said I only need to come in a year instead of six months like I've been doing.

Plus if I lose 20lbs I'll be within a normal BMI AND I get to go to Vegas with @tj_PE
Cool. By no means was I pushing keto. Just saying that I think it can be very effective for some people.

Cool. By no means was I pushing keto. Just saying that I think it can be very effective for some people.
By no means am I necessarily anti-keto. @jean15paul_PE is probably the only person in the developed world who has their head on straight about it.

I'm just not a fan of extreme fad diets that people can't maintain, gain all the weight back, get super down about it, and blame it all on carbs/gluten/their thyroid (I'm thinking of very specific annoying people in my social circle, why is it that the unhealthiest people have the most advice to give on health?). It's like...eat a vegetable willya?

Triglycerides were finally in a good range (went from 206 to 140 in less than six months), and my doctor said I only need to come in a year instead of six months like I've been doing.
Heyyy good job! I'm still on my super low sodium diet per doc's instructions. Trying to not get yelled at during checkup in January.

I get to go to Vegas with @tj_PE
SHENANIGANS

Magic Mike Live?????
I'll send them tickets to my performance.

giphy.gif

It's been interesting working out outside lately. My hikes around here have been pretty icy! I get to go a lot slower than normal and get a good core workout at the same time from being so tense the entire time. Wheeeeeee!
It's only gotten worse. And y'all may think I was kidding about the core workout, but I am dead serious.

One KETO benefit I've had (besides what's been mentioned... personally I've used it to lose 60+ lbs) is sustained energy even when going long periods between meals (due to busy schedule, etc.). That is super nice. I never feel starving at all, which is something I can not claim when following eating plans that include carbs. I know it's not for everyone but it works SUPER well for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back