Whatcha Playin? - Page 22 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Road Guy

Whatcha Playin?

Doing a second play-through of Red Dead Redemption 2.  First time I basically followed the story line and would do a side quest or two as I found them.  This time I am actively exploring everything I can as soon as possible. I was hoping to complete all the side missions before I finished the main story (Chapter 6), but there are a few that require access to areas of the map that only come in the Epilogue. I had read there was a work-around to gain access early but a recent update eliminated it.

As it sits now, I have done everything possible for my current progression in the main story.

23 minutes ago, Dexman PE PMP said:

Doing a second play-through of Red Dead Redemption 2.  First time I basically followed the story line and would do a side quest or two as I found them.  This time I am actively exploring everything I can as soon as possible. I was hoping to complete all the side missions before I finished the main story (Chapter 6), but there are a few that require access to areas of the map that only come in the Epilogue. I had read there was a work-around to gain access early but a recent update eliminated it.

As it sits now, I have done everything possible for my current progression in the main story.

I don't know if I could make it through that one again. Towards the end the mandatory horse riding was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Awesome game but I'm to impatient. 

Yeah, going for 100% requires a ton of patience. Finding, studying, tracking, killing, and skinning every animal is insanely difficult. Then doing the same for all the fish, finding and training all of the horses, then picking all the plants. Only have a few left in the map open right now.  I've spent several hours just looking for a parakeet down by Saint Denis (still haven't found it).  I used to do the same thing with Grand Theft Auto trying to find all the hidden stuff.

Going through it this way certainly gives me a true sense of appreciation for the level of detail the developers put into the game.

20 hours ago, Supe said:

Yep!  I forget where the tipping point is, but you start leveling up a good bit faster as the game progresses, usually because the main story line gives you huge experience points in return.  On the flip side, most of the generic/smaller side quests have little impact other than being fun or being able to find/loot some new armor, etc.  I'd say you can beat just about any mission about 2 levels higher than what you're ranked.  Beyond that, you have to pick and choose.  And level up the mind control spell as much as you can early on - it ends up being used during dialogue, and in most cases, helps you avoid lopsided fights.

I went back to the first area (White Orchard) and started taking all the side quests to get more points and loot more junk. So far it's worked out pretty well, but I am still at Level 3. I'll get back on the trail soon with the main story. But again, it's cool reading the  book and knowing who Ciri is and what she means to Geralt. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jbone27 PE said:

I don't know if I could make it through that one again. Towards the end the mandatory horse riding was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Awesome game but I'm to impatient. 

That's what I hated about the first RDR.  It felt like the mandatory riding was way worse.  I may play through it again at some point, but only to target the side missions from the actual characters and some of the bounties.  I also never tried to rob a train (outside of the main story line), and I'm not 100% sure I got all the creepy stuff that happens in some of the stores, though I think I did (e.g. the guy being chained up in I think the gun store).

3 hours ago, Dleg said:

I went back to the first area (White Orchard) and started taking all the side quests to get more points and loot more junk. So far it's worked out pretty well, but I am still at Level 3. I'll get back on the trail soon with the main story. But again, it's cool reading the  book and knowing who Ciri is and what she means to Geralt. 

I forget where the tipping point is, but somewhere between I think level 8 and the low teens it starts to accumulate much more quickly.  Thankfully, you can tackle the single digit difficulty missions a few levels below to help speed it up.  It's definitely way slower down low, though depending on how it aligns with main story line timing, there are a few higher ones that seem to take forever to level up through side quests, but you'll find yourself something like 4-5 levels down from where you need to be.  

On 5/29/2019 at 9:39 AM, Dexman PE PMP said:

Yeah, going for 100% requires a ton of patience. Finding, studying, tracking, killing, and skinning every animal is insanely difficult. Then doing the same for all the fish, finding and training all of the horses, then picking all the plants. Only have a few left in the map open right now.  I've spent several hours just looking for a parakeet down by Saint Denis (still haven't found it).  I used to do the same thing with Grand Theft Auto trying to find all the hidden stuff.

Going through it this way certainly gives me a true sense of appreciation for the level of detail the developers put into the game.

Spent the entirety of my 3-day weekend (Queen's Birthday) getting to 100% of everything possible with Arthur, then fired off the last 3 missions. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I still cried.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:22 PM, Supe said:

I forget where the tipping point is, but somewhere between I think level 8 and the low teens it starts to accumulate much more quickly.  Thankfully, you can tackle the single digit difficulty missions a few levels below to help speed it up.  It's definitely way slower down low, though depending on how it aligns with main story line timing, there are a few higher ones that seem to take forever to level up through side quests, but you'll find yourself something like 4-5 levels down from where you need to be.  

Maybe I am late to the party, but I just found out that Netflix will be starting the Witcher as one of it's new series at the end of the year, with Henry Cavill (Superman) as Geralt.  Based on the books, not the games, and shot in Hungary for the outdoor portions.  Sounds like it might be pretty decent. 

4 hours ago, Dleg said:

Maybe I am late to the party, but I just found out that Netflix will be starting the Witcher as one of it's new series at the end of the year, with Henry Cavill (Superman) as Geralt.  Based on the books, not the games, and shot in Hungary for the outdoor portions.  Sounds like it might be pretty decent. 

I hope so, but as with everything, Netflix is hit or miss.  Henry Cavill is pretty good (I liked him when he was in The Tudors, which was quite a ways before Superman), and hopefully the production values are good enough to not embarrass the game.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys.  I found my old gamecube games.  I started re-playing Paper Mario: 1000-year door.  OMG.  I forgot how cute/fun this game was!  I can easily save/move around and don't have to worry so much about someone headshotting Mario!  Win-win!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayKay0914 said:

Guys.  I found my old gamecube games.  I started re-playing Paper Mario: 1000-year door.  OMG.  I forgot how cute/fun this game was!  I can easily save/move around and don't have to worry so much about someone headshotting Mario!  Win-win!

I freaking love that game!

1 hour ago, ChebyshevII_PE said:

I freaking love that game!

YESSSSSSSSSS.  I forgot how much fun it was to play a 'simple' game, where you run around and don't have to worry about enemies randomly attacking you (I'm about to challenge hooktail, I think, the big dragon, but I died last night when I was half-asleep, so I stopped)!  So much fun!

On 6/24/2019 at 12:51 PM, JayKay0914 said:

YESSSSSSSSSS.  I forgot how much fun it was to play a 'simple' game, where you run around and don't have to worry about enemies randomly attacking you (I'm about to challenge hooktail, I think, the big dragon, but I died last night when I was half-asleep, so I stopped)!  So much fun!

That game is near the top of my list as far as my favorites go, followed closely by the original Paper Mario and Mario RPG (for the SNES).

I just got Super Paper Mario for my Wii, and while I like the storyline, I’m sad they did away with the RPG battle format.

I finally just ordered a Switch and Mario Maker 2.  The lure of newly designed levels for old Mario games was too strong for me.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:14 AM, wilheldp_PE said:

I finally just ordered a Switch and Mario Maker 2.  The lure of newly designed levels for old Mario games was too strong for me.

Switch is unreal. Online smash bros  = game changer.