Would you let your family be a "reality" show?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the size of televisions that most of America has nowadays, I don't think anyone's bits and pieces can look uninspiring.
And for the record, I wouldn't subject my family to this. I like that Kate is freaking out about paparrazi, yet she she's okay with a whole camera crew being around all the time. For her it's just about the money and body guard.

Fixed it for ya. She was with the bodyguard long before Jon went out for some fun.

The part I don't understand is this: How the hell do these guys have the time to fool around and have sex lives with other people? My wife and I never seem to have the time and we only have 2 kids..

The part I don't understand is this: How the hell do these guys have the time to fool around and have sex lives with other people? My wife and I never seem to have the time and we only have 2 kids..
They make $75,000 an episode. They pay people to look after the kids these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
at 75k an episode, the $ should be divided by 10 for equal shares and the kids shares put in trust or college funds.

at 75k an episode, the $ should be divided by 10 for equal shares and the kids shares put in trust or college funds.
Those kids will be out on the streets with their ne'er do well parents before they attend college.

I never even heard of the show before this weekend, and I can make that prediction from what I've heard since then.

I know you're mostly a bunch of dudes out there, but I bet a few of you have heard about the latest scandal involving Jon and Kate Gosselin, stars of TLC's Jon and Kate Plus 8. The show focuses on their children- a set of twins and a set of sextuplets. They reportedly get $75,000 an episode.
So it raises the question:

Would you take the money to have your lives taped?
In a word: No.

I think there is something lost when you allow your family to be exposed to the pressures of creating a product that will be used for entertainment. It seems to be, in part, something that is happening to Jon and Kate.

This type of stuff makes me believe that the Idiocracy movie is more fact than fiction.
I like lattes ... and money. But I wouldn't like them on TV.

Wanna go to Starbucks? :D

But who would want to watch an engineer at home?
:appl: :appl: :appl:

Winner!!

Are you telling me there's a potential scandal just as the season premiere is about to show? Who could have predicted that there would be some controversy that would create publicity?
I think this the absolute worst type of show - the exploitation of these children is just pathetic......
In line with that thought, I think it also broadcasts the steady decline of what FAMILY time is about.

Another show that also completely amazes me ... it makes me cringe to see the commercials ... "Bridezilla"

Holy crackers!!!!! :blink:

JR

Oh no! I heard on the radio this morning that Jon and Kate might be getting a divorce!!

Somehow I have a feeling that by the end of this season, they will have made up. but you'll have to watch every show to see what happens. Give me a break.......

My wife watches it so I've seen it a few times....the show is total bullshit.

It started out as a show about how they got through the day with 8 kids. Now it's morphed into them going on free vacations everywhere and shopping for their new million $$$ home. Kate is a total bitch who is obsessed with getting as much exposure/free stuff as she can. Like someone mentioned earlier, she spends most of her time on the road away from the kids now.

One of the early shows was about how this poor family was struggling to get by when John lost his job. According to him it was because they didn't want to insure all those kids. After getting **** on long enough the (ex)employer finally got fed up and revealed that John actually got fired because he spent all his time at work trying to find ways they could use their kids to get free stuff.

And now it appears ... they have a special announcement coming up. :eek:

The intro reads, "A family in turmoil ... A relationship at a crossroads ... Where do they go from here?""

Um .. yeah.

JR

^They're going to go in whichever direction results in the greatest extension their "15 minutes".

Well, just when you thought that show couldn't exploit those children anymore ... now America gets to watch them deal with mommy and daddy don't love each other and why doesn't daddy live here anymore. I guess the REAL surprise announcement would have been, "we are going to stop doing this show and work on our marriage and family."

Good grief ... :mf_followthroughfart:

JR

They should just stick these kids in a zoo called "Octopia" since this entire ordeal is mirroring the lives of Apu and Manjula on the Simpsons anyways.

Kate is a genital wart on the ass of society. Of course their big announcement should have been that they were quitting the show to work on their family, but I'd be willing to bet that Kate came up with some way that getting a divorce would extend her 15 minutes of fame somehow.

I just keep thinking about these poor kids and the bullshit they have to put up with. Hopefully their parents set aside a trust or something such that they'll have some form of compensation when they are older but from what I've seen from their ass clown parents they'll probably get a boot in their asses kicking them out of the house on their 18th birthdays.

I saw her quoted somewhere as saying "The show must go on"

They obviously don't give a rat's ass about the kids anymore (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that it USED to be about the kids).

It's the "Reality TV Show Curse". She says something about him on-camera that she'd normally ONLY tell her best friend, he does the same. Then, when they both see what the other person said, they react, maybe appropriately, maybe not... regardless, the boundaries that exist in a normal relationship disappear when everything's on camera.

There was a whole "exposure" for what the show really was a few years back. In reality the kids have a trust fund set up for them by a uncle. All 8 have enough money set aside that their education is 100% paid for at a 4 year university. There was no number given, but they are taken care of.

The parents (Kate especially) whored the children out, they got free stuff all the time and peddled a sob-story that they didn't know how they would feed the kids and pay for school clothes, college, etc. In reality the kids had the trust fund, food was available all the time from local charities, and they had 40-50K in savings and several CDs that were given to them by family.

They went state to state in the beginning, going to churches, asking for money from the congregation. They charged the venue (which included churches) thousands of dollars for them to speak, this did not include the costs for flying there, their entourage, food, and hotel, which they made the venue pay for.

All the while they were also getting paid lucratively by TLC. The children never saw any of that money because of the contract that Kate and her agent had written.

If you watch the first couple seasons you will notice that Kates sister was on the show helping with the kids. She isn't on there anymore. She was offering her time for free but in season 3 TLC offered to pay her since she was on camera for some many hours and episode, Kate and her agent kicked her off the show and stopped all contact with her and did not allow the kids to see her either.

I stopped watching after season 2. It just got frustrating and I could not watch Jon get the life slowly sucked out of him by his overbearing wife.

This show will die off in a couple years, and when the two oldest daughters are 18 expect to see a law suit against Kate and Jon (assuming he is still alive) by the eldest daughters with the 6pack as co-plaintiffs to take whatever money and property they have left as back pay from the show that they did and and probably will never see.

Back