Will the PE exam move to CBT in near future?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
d4301e5f2fbbfcb5dac964b6aaaad3dc0d016ae83528104e6d1fbee4840b6ac8.jpg

I am really astonished at the time it takes to get the PE results. Maybe they should hire more people to get the results out faster and raise the exam fees for that.
I'm really astonished at how much it costs for health care. And since I have no idea whatsoever what's involved in the process, I think I'll offer my opinion - maybe they should just charge less......

There was a really good rationalization as to the whole grading process last cycle. 8-10 weeks is about right. We all did it, so try and enjoy life while waiting. Nothing is going to change in the interim.

How is that a better alternative to the currently used scantrons? What benefit is there to NCEES to have the examinee manually enter answers into the computer? It would be more time consuming, harder to monitor for cheating, and the risk of incorrect data entry would be a problem for examinees.

Matt has it right on this one. A CBT PE exam would require discipline specific references and is probably modeled on the current CBT FE exam.
I heard that it takes about 4 weeks for the answer sheets to reach NCEES and manually scanned. Probably this time could be saved! I agree it is harder to monitor for cheating. There shd be a way to enter those answer in the computer to make things faster!

When you start a sentence with "I heard" and then follow that with something that it is unlikely to be true, consider evaluating what you are writing, revise it or delete it, and save everybody from wasting their time reading it or yet further being compelled to respond to it at absolutely no avail.
Okay.. My apologies.

I thank God that He blessed me to pass both the FE and PE exams before they were converted to CBTs. I don't care if I had to wait before I got my results. There is nothing like the printed word in front of you.

God? That's an assumption on your part that there is one. Like all good engineers, let's not forget to state our assumptions.
Why do you care what he believed in? Do it matter to you or somehow the word God hurts your feeling? That his assumption, and his only

I don't care what anyone believes in. However, if we are going to perpetuate it in public, be prepared to hear an alternate view!

The best assumption... ever. :)

assumption-of-Mary.jpg

You used two absolute terms 'best' and 'ever'. It is highly unlikely that either is right notwithstanding both of them being right at the same time.

Nice art work but we should be open minded.

I thank God that He blessed me to pass both the FE and PE exams before they were converted to CBTs. I don't care if I had to wait before I got my results. There is nothing like the printed word in front of you.

God? That's an assumption on your part that there is one. Like all good engineers, let's not forget to state our assumptions.
Why do you care what he believed in? Do it matter to you or somehow the word God hurts your feeling? That his assumption, and his only

I don't care what anyone believes in. However, if we are going to perpetuate it in public, be prepared to hear an alternate view!
sure thing boss...Thanks God for everything.

assumption-of-Mary.jpg

You used two absolute terms 'best' and 'ever'. It is highly unlikely that either is right notwithstanding both of them being right at the same time.

Not sure if you are open minded though since you are the one literally going on on him when he said Thanks God the the supposed imaginary mystic blessed "HIM" not you or anyone else ..why you even bothered by that?

There is no way it can be closed book. There is no way a person can memorize all formulae correctly of so many subjects. In real structural engineering world - it does not work like that. So even if its CBT I believe it will be open book.

If it becomes closed book then the level of difficulty would become way lower I guess.
Either that, or they would give you an electronic reference manual like they do with the FE exam.
this

There is no way it can be closed book. There is no way a person can memorize all formulae correctly of so many subjects. In real structural engineering world - it does not work like that. So even if its CBT I believe it will be open book.

If it becomes closed book then the level of difficulty would become way lower I guess.
Either that, or they would give you an electronic reference manual like they do with the FE exam.
this
The testing centers have said they don't want to be responsible for checking references and making sure examinees aren't writing in their books. I guess it sounds like it's manageable based on the CA exams, but that's what I heard from NCEES a couple years ago.

assumption-of-Mary.jpg

Not sure if you are open minded though since you are the one literally going on on him when he said Thanks God the the supposed imaginary mystic blessed "HIM" not you or anyone else ..why you even bothered by that?

Obviously I was referring to his use of absolute terms but you conflated it with his alleged god. It looks like you have an issue with a second opinion. If we are to perpetuate belief over reason or critical thinking be prepare for a second opinion.

... If we are to perpetuate belief over reason or critical thinking be prepare for a second opinion.
Sorry, but I don't think anyone here asked you to believe in anything.

Edit:

Expect maybe the cut score, or the color of the pencil, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
... If we are to perpetuate belief over reason or critical thinking be prepare for a second opinion.
He simply stated that, being on an engineering based forum, one would expect reason and critical thinking to be dominant rather than beliefs. And if that is not the case, sure, it is acceptable, just be prepared for a different opinion.

Edit:

Expect maybe the cut score, or the color of the pencil, etc.

Except if we are going to make references to god, know that some people don't think it's a foregone conclusion and be prepared for a second opinion.

Go on, tell me more about your second opinion. Wait, nevermind, I never asked in the first place.

What do you kind gentleman think about a cbt pe? I think this thread was lookoing for those opinions.

Stop trying to keep this thread on topic Matt and let's get back to uselessly insulting religious belief's instead.

Stop trying to keep this thread on topic Matt and let's get back to uselessly insulting religious belief's instead.
Useless?

Well, that just be your opinion. Be prepared to hear a second, third, forth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth counter opinion. Because you opinion sucks and mines is betterer.

Anyone need to borrow boxing gloves? I hear pac-man won't be using his any time soon.

Back