Which calculator?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was taking calculus, my professor taught me to start solving problems from the MIDDLE (e.g. inside parathesis or complicated operands like trig functions). This is how RPN works - break down the problems piecemeal to form simpler expressions.
In fairness, you can use the same general approach with an algebraic calculator. You can use an algebraic calc to break down problems into simpler expressions, store intermediate results, and then combine those intermediate results to get the final answer. People do it all the time.

But if you do calculations this way, then the RPN calc has a big edge in terms of ease and efficiency. The fundamental difference is that an algebraic calc puts operators between two numerical arguments, e.g. 2 + 3. This approach works fine for some problems, but is not optimal if you need to work with a series of saved intermediate results. If you want to add the last two saved results, for example, you have to "juggle" them in some manner to get the + operator between them. Algebraic calcs provide ways to do this, but they are clumsy.

The RPN calc, in contrast, puts the operator after the two numerical arguments, e.g. 2 3 +. This approach happens to work very nicely with a series of stored intermediate results. If you want to add the last two intermediate results, for example, you just hit the + key. No juggling is required, because the last two intermediate results are already in place and waiting for the operator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line, and repeating what I said at the beginning: Use the calculator that fits your needs and skills better.
If you feel better using an abacus be sure it is on the NCEES approved list.
:deadhorse: Do they make RPN abacuses?

My fluid mechanics prof challenged the students, using an oversized teaching prop slide-rule, as to whether we could beat him using calculators in a series of calcs. It wasn't close. . . maybe the 'girth' of the slide-rule was too much(!) - he was of wirey build. . .he put up a pretty good fight for maybe 1.5 secs

My fluid mechanics prof challenged the students, using an oversized teaching prop slide-rule, as to whether we could beat him using calculators in a series of calcs. It wasn't close. . . maybe the 'girth' of the slide-rule was too much(!) - he was of wirey build. . .he put up a pretty good fight for maybe 1.5 secs
Skilled abacus operators are supposed to be quite competitive with calculator users when it comes to four-function arithmetic -- most of the time needed for the calculation is for numerical input, and someone who knows what they are doing can slide the counters on the abacus rods faster than you move your finger around a calculator keyboard. However, it takes a lot more practice to become proficient with the abacus.

I have an old slide rule, and learned how to use it, but am much, much slower than with the calculator. I use it sometimes anyway though, just because I find it so amazing that complex equations -- with trig functions, logs, roots, and exponents -- can be solved accurately with the use of three bamboo sticks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the Stack, Stupid. The bigger the stack, the better...

My nine-year-old wants to start using a calculator to do some math work. I told him no problem so long as he could learn to use RPN. He's getting the hang of it, though. I think I'll need to hide the batteries soon.

I had thought about taking an abacus into the PE exam to see if they would bust me for having a non-approved calculator. a kind of ironic protest to the backwards calculator rules.

rps.png

I'm kinda pissed. . .my backup calculator (Casio Fx115-ms) is gone! I lent it to stepdaughter last semester & she somehow managed to return it to me in the form of a TI-36x! absolute junk!

might be taking this October's exam w/ my fx115-ES going solo

I brought four calculators the last time- two Casios and two TI-36x. I had bought two POS TI's before I saw the light and went with the Casio. Overkill? Yes. Calm my nerves? Yes.

^ wanna express mail me one of your casios?

kidding, i think i'll go it w/ the 1 casio & the TI running wing man. . .course a license hangs in the balance with this one. . .

^ I viewed the money spent on the second identical calculator as cheap insurance. When you factor in a 6 month wait to take the exam again, even the HP doesn't seem like a large expense. I had a second HP 33 when I took the test. I sold it the week after I took the exam.

Back