Which calculator?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested and worked with the Casio fx-115MS, the HP33s and the TI-36X Solar.

Since time is of the essence on the test, it is all about ease of use.

I preferred the Casio. For me the feel and response of the keyboard was very important in order to rapidly and reliably enter keystrokes. Of the three the Casio has the best feel to the keyboard; the keys are very easy to push. You don't have any time to spare so you don't want to be slowed down on your keystroke entry. It also has the best display in my opinion. I am still using it at work.

The HP 33s keys are laid out in a very user unfriendly chevron pattern and are stiff. The display is a murky green.

The TI-36X Solar comes out in the middle display and keystroke wise.

Don't worry about progammability because you will only be using the basic functions. Whichever one you use, become very familiar with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
HP33S the display can be lightened and darkened, neat feature I thought.

A thing to think about if you are looking into a solar powered model. The room may not be conducive to the solar cells. I don't think I could have gotten away with using a solar powered model for the exam.

TI-30XIIS. 15.00 at staples - got 2. I have used TIs forever and thought there was no need to switch now.

I ruled out the HP immediately since I'm RPN illiterate. That narrowed it down to two: a TI and the Casio fx-115MS (I think only three calculators were allowed for the 4/07 exam). In reading reviews for the TI and Casio, it looked like the Casio was much easier to use for complex numbers. Since being able to work with complex numbers quickly is important for the EE exam, I went with the Casio.

Since I haven't used the HP or TI, I can't confirm what BIO says, but I can say that I'm very happy with the Casio, and it will replace my TI-85 when the 85 finally dies. I do have a coworker (also EE/Power) who tried both the TI and Casio for the exam and preferred the Casio as well .

I ruled out the HP immediately since I'm RPN illiterate.
The two currently approved HP calculator models, the HP-33S and HP-35S, can be set to operate in either RPN or conventional algebraic mode. In fact, this has been true of every HP calculator that has been introduced over the past several years. So it's worth considering these models even if you don't use RPN.

If you like to "customize" your calculator with specific functions, programs, or equations that you use often, then the HPs are the way to go, since they are the only NCEES-approved models with programming capability. I found this to be a time-saver on the exams, although it's just a convenience and not a necessity.

I've always used TI calculators. The TI-68 was the best, especially for complex number calc's. However, I bought an HP 33 for the Oct. 07 exam. I used it for the test and have used it at work. Now I like it even though I was not fond of it to begin with. Whatever choice you make (TI, HP, or Casio), get comfortable with it and know how to use all functions. You don't have time to "figure out" the calculator during the exam. Just my 2 cents.

I have always used non-RPN calculators, could never get used to the keystroke order. I started with the TI-60 in high school.

For my first attempt at the exam, I used the TI 30XA. I bought two of them. $15 each at Radio Shack.

For my second attempt, they changed the calculator list. A friend of mine lent me her Casio FX-115MS. I bought a Casio FX-115MS as a backup at Office Max for $15. It took a couple of weeks to get used to it because some of the keys were different. I liked it because it had a wide screen that fit two lines of entry, which displayed the numbers and operations (+, -, etc) you were entering. If I had my choice, I would stick to the TI, only because that is what I am used to.

I used the TI line of graphing calculators in college but it's overkill to use one of those for basic calculations around the office. I found myself using my trusty old Casio scientific calculator from high school. I bought the fx-115MS for the exam, and it operates nearly identically, with a few new bells and whistles you'd expect from a 10-year newer product.

I like it because you enter the commands as you would if you were writing in on paper, which is how I think.

I grew up on the TIs and used the TI85 - 89 in high school and in college. I loathed the HPs at the time. But when I started studying, my company at the time had bought all the engineers the HP and so I started using it (very reluctantly). Now...I love my HP and still use it for everything. I get frustrated trying to use a "normal" calculator (as my hubby calls everything but HPs) and will probably never go back to the TI.

I had a similar experience. I read about the calculator policy almost a year before I took the exam this past October. The only calculator I ever used was a TI-89 that I had bought in 1999 when I started college. I used this calculator through my entire college "career" and could use almost all of the functions on it. I loved the calculator and was pretty disturbed that they had gone to this "new" policy. At any rate, with some time before the exam, I opted to give the HP 33 a try. Initially I chose this calculator because it was advertised as having programming capability (a feature I used extensively in the TI89) and it could be used in algebraic mode (I was scared of RPN). After getting the HP33, it took me a couple of months to get used to (the keypad is very "busy" and still takes me a while to find what I'm looking for sometimes), then I decided to see what RPN was all about, took me another few months to get used to that. By the time I started studying for the PE exam (a few months in advance), the HP33 had become my calculator of choice and RPN was the only way to work. The RPN really is useful for multi-level equations, but it does take some time to realize the benefit. I didn't use the programming because by the time I started thinking about it, I didn't have time to figure it out....I found it to be completely different than the programming for the TI89 that I was proficient at. What I did find somewhat useful was the equation solver in the HP33. I now use the HP33 exclusively at work.

To cut a long story short, the April exam takers probably don't have any time to switch, but if you've got more than 6 months before the exam, I'd encourage you to start using the HP enough in advance that you already know how to use the calculator by the time you start studying. The HP is superior for it's solver, in my opinion. As others have stated, being comfortable with your calculator is more important than any special function.

this guy just cracks me up, so I'm going to include him here:

:party-smiley-048:

Last edited:
I have always been a ti guy (born in 79, so I fit katiebug's theory). Since the HP33s was the most expensive calculator allowed, and at the time I felt the need to compensate for my PE-ness deficiency... thats what I used.

I went as far as to learn RPN for the test and now use RPN almost exclusively... except when I need to use a good calculator and break out my old TI.

this guy just cracks me up, so I'm going to include him here:
Next time, try this!

th_rabbit_pancake.jpg

^^ very helpful, thank you. ;-)

I used a TI all through school (also born in 79), and until this year when I was told how much faster RPN was, so for the exam I switched to the HP. It took me about a week to figure out, and I would always check my answers but it wasn't bad at all. I too, can't go back to "regular" calculators anymore and frankly don't know how I ever used them. I don't see a problem with changing calculators for the exam, I did. If you start now you'll be fine. I think the reason the HP is the "best" calculator is the advanced functions it has. If you see chapter 1 or so in the CERM, it explains how to do all that stuff with a basic calculator if you've forgotten (I always mess up exponents, so it's nice to have).

As my coworker said "Once you go PACK, you'll never go back." Haha, but true.

I bought a TI-36 for the test and now it's my favorite calculator. It can easily handle the switching between angles in decimal degrees and angles in DMS that is necessary for the CA Surveying test for the Civil PE.

I grew up as an RPN user. But I stashed my HP away in storage when I left the states, and forgot how to use it. I used the Casio fx115ES for the PE exam, and I think it's a fantastic calculator.

I recently purchased an HP 35s, though, and it's a really nice piece of equipment. Defintely wins the "cool" contest among the lsit of approved calculators (a geeky kind of cool, anyway). If I was studying for the PE exam, that's what I would choose to learn now, just because I would have the time to learn it, and RPN is faster and more intuitive, once you get used to it.

But I'm still using my Casio at work. Not having any exams to study for, there's no incentive for me to learn my cool new HP.

^^

I'm going to agree with VT here, if it were more intuitive then I shouldn't need to get used to it. I should just get it, right?

I can see faster, but how is it more intutive? I'm not arguing, just honestly asking. Take 2 + 2 = 4.
I just don't see how 2, 2, ENTER is more intuitive than 2, +, 2, =

^^I'm going to agree with VT here, if it were more intuitive then I shouldn't need to get used to it. I should just get it, right?
Don't be hatin' because you guys are RPN-challenged!! :p

JR

Back