Which calculator?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Argument is going to dwindle to ...
Tastes Great !!

........................... Less Filling !!!
Obviously both RPN and algebraic calculators work, and can be used to pass NCEES exams. So yes, it is a matter of personal taste. For exam purposes, the most important thing is to be thoroughly familiar and comfortable with your calculator, regardless of model.

A simple way to see if you are a "tastes great" person or a "less filling" person is to consider a problem like this one, which includes three operations:

(36 + 77) * (5.34 - 4.66)

If you see an addition, then a multiplication, and finally a subtraction, then you are an algebraic person.

If instead, you see an addition, then a subtraction, and finally a multiplication, then you are an RPN person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we or are we not engineers?

This has a simple solution: Use the calculator that fits your needs and skills better.

I am darn sure that the calc that JR used was not probably the best one for me and viceversa. He needed to perform some functions and I needed to do different things. I cannot say about Civil, Mech, and Chem Engs but I needed to do polar/rectangular math operations. Based on my experience the HP33 was not good enough. The Casio FX115ES worked out for me.

I am sure that the HP33 is a darn good calculator and it is probably better for other engineering branches and maybe for some EEs too. For my specifics needs the Casio was the one.

Bottom line, and repeating what I said at the beginning: Use the calculator that fits your needs and skills better.

If you feel better using an abacus be sure it is on the NCEES approved list.

If you see an addition, then a multiplication, and finally a subtraction, then you are an algebraic person.

If instead, you see an addition, then a subtraction, and finally a multiplication, then you are an RPN person.
I see an order of operations problem. I'd add and subtract what's in the parentheses, then multiply, then get a beer. I don't think that makes me an RPN guy though.

LESS FILLING!

Actually, my Casio doesn't taste like anything. My HP 35s has a slight, grape-like flavor though.

Is it lame to want to watch that DVD? Netflix doesn't have it yet. What to do (except for buy the 35s?)
Added - HP has about an 8 minute video online - the same thing?
That's probably the same thing. It was short, and not the greatest quality. I expected more. Much more.

When I bought it, actually, I had read a review (must have been pre-purchase speculation) that the DVD was a compilation of tribute videos submitted by fans as part of a Youtube contest. THAT would have been cool. Imagine my disappointment....

A simple way to see if you are a "tastes great" person or a "less filling" person is to consider a problem like this one, which includes three operations:

The simplicity of your problem may lead to an incorrect assumption of how RPN would differ from algebraic entry, much like teaching someone multiplication and asking them to multiply by zero or one - do they really understand the nuances of the mathematical operator?

A more involved example is in order ....

Consider the following:

This problem will challenge you to think either algebraically or by RPN! :)

I see an order of operations problem. I'd add and subtract what's in the parentheses, then multiply, then get a beer. I don't think that makes me an RPN guy though.
To an extent, that is true VTE; however, it isn't the entire gist of the approach.

When I was taking calculus, my professor taught me to start solving problems from the MIDDLE (e.g. inside parathesis or complicated operands like trig functions). This is how RPN works - break down the problems piecemeal to form simpler expressions. That's why there are multiple stacks - one stack per simplified expression.

That way of thinking has become so pervasive for me that even my spreadsheet calculations have multiple columns that functionally serve as 'stacks' so that I may easily pick up on arithmetic errors within my calculations.

Just my :2cents: to add fuel to this argument.

JR

Back