Where did you see yourself....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the time it didn't matter to me. I was living free in Montana, working for a beer distributer, lifting weights and fly fishing in the evenings. After a year that buisness was sold, so I just decided to move to the college town my H.S. buddies were at and boo bam, here I am.

I was for sure going to be a geologist, walking around outside looking at rocks all day.

Then I found out what geologists really do and I switched to engineering.

In Senior Seminar, our final exam was to write a paper on where we would be in 10 years. I wrote: "Living in a middle class neighborhood in suburbia, with a fat ugly wife & 2.5 kids, working for the man, wishing I had dropped out of school to try my hand at becoming a rock star."

I got an A.

But I would love to tell you the full story of my buddy who wrote (sarcastically) about moving to L.A. to become the first engineer pron star.

He got a B.

But he did become the CEO of his own multi-million dollar company when he discovered that his idea for a Napster-style-pron-file-sharing service also worked pretty well for sharing regular media content too. $70 million dollars of capital investment later, I think the sting of that B has faded.

But I would love to tell you the full story of my buddy who wrote (sarcastically) about moving to L.A. to become the first engineer pron star.
Engineer pr0n is amazing. Butt fusion, pipe nipples, penetration tests, blow counts, hardness...the possibilities are endless.

Wanted to be an automotive engineer and design suspension components. Ended up in fire protection. Lots of lousy to fun jobs including a 5 year stint in telecom engineering (before the crash) in between the two points.

Majored in mechanical engineering but switched to civil in school. Really a great decision in retrospect.

I thought I'd be living the high life with a fulfilling career in social work...until I realized I wouldn't be able to pay the bills. Oh, and I don't like working with people.

ngnrd - PE said:
Professional beach bum. Hanging out with hot chicks on the sand, getting a tan, maybe making a few bucks as a lifeguard.
That's what I did while in college.
Hey! Me too, exept I was a lake rat and a lifeguard. For the first four years, at least, until my parents closed the checkbook.

I was for sure going to be a geologist, walking around outside looking at rocks all day.

Then I found out what geologists really do and I switched to engineering.
Hey! Me too, plus I found out how much most geologists with a BS make...Although, I still have a geology degree, too.

ngnrd - PE said:
Professional beach bum. Hanging out with hot chicks on the sand, getting a tan, maybe making a few bucks as a lifeguard.
That's what I did while in college.
Hey! Me too, exept I was a lake rat and a lifeguard. For the first four years, at least, until my parents closed the checkbook.
I was a pool rat. It was a great gig. Did that and bush-hogged fields. I thought I was in the jack.

MGX, you just specialize in sprinklers, or run the whole FP gamut?
Suppression only right now. Looking to expand to offer more FP services in the future. I know enough FPE's who don't have licenses that when I get mine I can probably recruit them and expand.

Suppression only right now. Looking to expand to offer more FP services in the future. I know enough FPE's who don't have licenses that when I get mine I can probably recruit them and expand.
No licenses or no FPE licenses?

Here in SC, you don't really need the FPE unless you want fed work. I've had a couple of FPE's try to rope me into getting the FPE, but I've dealt with the feds, and bought the SFPE 'study material.' No thanks.

No licenses or no FPE licenses?

Here in SC, you don't really need the FPE unless you want fed work. I've had a couple of FPE's try to rope me into getting the FPE, but I've dealt with the feds, and bought the SFPE 'study material.' No thanks.
Here in OK many FPE's do not have any engineering license. We've done the federal work as well but I'm not sure it is worth the hassle. Flying in a technician from out of state to read a pressure gage is pretty silly but written in the specifications. I remember you saying the SFPE manual wasn't good but I will probably sit for the FPE exam in the next two years. In OK an engineer is an engineer, I understand other states are more stringent on who can do what type of work based on what exam they sat for.

I was going to go all in on Robotics. Double major in computer and mechanical engineering and then follow that up with a masters in applied robotics from one of the big boys.

Made it two weeks in to computer and a semester into mechanical before I switched to civil. Now work for one of the largest heavy civil construction firms in the country.

Back