Where are you at in your mortgage?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we bought ours the end of last year and nailed the 30 yr rate

3.25%

29.5 yrs

61 if we don't pay it off early.

^--- blah blah blah.

J/k congrats!

3.8%

9 years

My neighborhood is going to shit thanks to a company that just bought 1000 foreclosure's in Atlanta and is renting them all out.. We've got like 7 in our neighborhood alone.. The quiet empty house that we all took turns mowing the grass is better than the people that have moved into these houses unfortunately...

Renters in a subdivision are bad news, they just don't give a shit about the community...

Renters in a subdivision are bad news, they just don't give a shit about anything...
Fixed.

I will say that some friends of ours do rent in a subdivision, but are very meticulous about their yard. They described their house in Florida, and how the husband was basically in a perpetual yard war to outdo the neighbors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Renters in a subdivision are bad news, they just don't give a shit about anything...
Fixed.

I will say that some friends of ours do rent in a subdivision, but are very meticulous about their yard. They described their house in Florida, and how the husband was basically in a perpetual yard war to outdo the neighbors.
The house catty corner from us has had four sets of renters since maybe 2000 or so. One set had cops there (LOTS of cops) at least once a week. The others were pretty quiet (one crew that worked at a bar was .....intersting, but usually quiet).

The house on the corner is rented by a H-D owner. he's very loud, or rather his gd bike and his friend's gd bikes are. At least the 3am rev sessions came to an end (again, kudos to the cops).

The house on the corner is rented by a H-D owner. he's very loud, or rather his gd bike and his friend's gd bikes are. At least the 3am rev sessions came to an end (again, kudos to the cops).

Damn Harley owners. They give the rest of us responsible motorcycle owners a bad name.

(just seeing if Flyer is paying attention) :poop:

I just sent my LAST mortgage payment today!!!

Wow, what a great feeling to be 45 years old and mortgage-free!!!

:bananapowerslide:

Now what to do with all the extra money each month??

Anyone have any investment suggestions?

^congrats! It is a great feeling. Mr snick has been buying toys. Decent starter compound bow, lifelike assault rifle bb gun (ended up returning since it arrived looking used and abused) etc...

3.875%

13.666666666666666666666666 years

47 years old

A few months ago I had a plan to cash out my old ESPP plan when the high interest capital gains tax time had passed and drop it on the mortgage. With this plan (and all additional monthly cash), I could pay off the mortgage in a few years. Then I talked to my dad. He talked some sense into me. Why pay off a 3.875% mortgage, a 2% or 3.5% student loan, when I could put all that extra into a USAA-managed investment plan? Sure, the market has ups and downs, but over the long haul "should" be in the green more than 3.875%.

This wouldn't be a get-rich-quick investment. This would be a long-term deal to compliment our already existing retirement plans. Makes sense to me.

mevans I would personally just find the highest yield money market account for a few years to be honest....

I am back at either 0 years on my mortgage or about to be at 30 years depending how you look at it :(

Congrats mevans. Now go buy a bigger house and start with a new mortgage.

Congrats mevans. Now go buy a bigger house and start with a new mortgage.

My house is too big now! We have a 3800 sq. ft. house for just Me, Mrs. mevans154, and mevans154 Jr. (and he about to leave for college in a year and a half).

1. 3 something

2. 10ish

3. 44

We refinanced in 2011 with a 15 year and pay ahead each month. I have no plans to move. The house is a perfectly normal size.

1. 2.75%

2. 19

3. 56

We could pay this house off in 4 years if we stayed here and stuck everything extra into it, but instead we're looking to move, probably into a more expensive place which means we'll reset the clock and not pay it off until I'm 67.

Wait...is this thread a ploy to get all of our PII? If mevans posts a "What's your town of birth" thread, I'm nervous.

Back