When Can I use PE in my signature?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^until you have the license # in hand, I'd list it as passed April 2012 exam, awaiting licence # from state...because the state could hypothetically still deny you the licence for lacking experience depending on how they operate.

Has that actually happened? I don't see how someone could qualify for the exam (submit application, provide college transcript, show proof of 4+ years of experience, and have the board approve it), pass it, and then be denied the license.

^^^ States handle the PE process differently. Most require that you meet all of the requirements to sit for the exam (making the exam the last requirement), whereas some allow you to take the exam early and finish the rest of the application process after you pass. A few others require additional info (like Texas) once you pass the exam.

Here in CO, you have to meet all requirements to sit for the exam, but still do an additional application review after you pass. This is just a CYA thing on their part to ensure you have a complete and accurate application.

In any case, it's best to wait until you have the license in hand because it is illegal in most states to represent yourself as an engineer if you are not licensed to practice in that state. Just remember that waiting for your license is a much shorter wait (typically a couple of weeks), but in the grand scheme of things is a very minor setback. You've already waited several years to take the exam and a couple months to get your results, what's a couple more weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having gone through this back in 2008, I don't even remember much of the wait at all. It sucks now, but in a few months you'll move on to bigger fires.

Has that actually happened? I don't see how someone could qualify for the exam (submit application, provide college transcript, show proof of 4+ years of experience, and have the board approve it), pass it, and then be denied the license.
^^^ States handle the PE process differently. Most require that you meet all of the requirements to sit for the exam (making the exam the last requirement), whereas some allow you to take the exam early and finish the rest of the application process after you pass. A few others require additional info (like Texas) once you pass the exam.

Here in CO, you have to meet all requirements to sit for the exam, but still do an additional application review after you pass. This is just a CYA thing on their part to ensure you have a complete and accurate application.

In any case, it's best to wait until you have the license in hand because it is illegal in most states to represent yourself as an engineer if you are not licensed to practice in that state. Just remember that waiting for your license is a much shorter wait (typically a couple of weeks), but in the grand scheme of things is a very minor setback. You've already waited several years to take the exam and a couple months to get your results, what's a couple more weeks?
what he said. IL used to be had to have everything approved before you took the test so it was a guarantee on the license. now you can take the test early, pass, and then wait until you have the needed experience to ge thte license.

My friend in NJ the experience approval was after passing and taking a legal take home test...he took an april test and didn't get a license from NJ until mid August.

I just spoke with the lady at the Pennsylvania State Board of Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists. She stated that if the license lookup states you and your # as active, you are a licensed engineer. She said you do not have to wait until the certificate is in hand, nor must you immediately purchase your stamp.

This is what one of my supervisors told me on Tuesday. I send a lot of emails weekly to other engineers and contractors answering random engineering questions. I put the PE on my name the second I saw my name in the database as a professional engineer. When I email people now, I now like answering their questions more so I can reply and have my signature say I'm a PE lol. :p

erikwo and mikecart1 just made my Monday! I was going to wait the ~90 days that NCEES said I would have to until receiving my license from the State, but I did the license lookup and found my license status to be "active". Kind of surreal to see my own license number. Now, is it "SteveYem, PE", or "SteveYem, P.E." ??

Until you are assigned a license number from the state, you do not yet have a license. Surferjrr is correct.
Not to split hairs, but in PA (and maybe some other states), the PE license number is issued on the same date that the passing test score is reported by NCEES, i.e. on the day you receive your notification from NCEES you can search for your license on the Dept. of State website and it will appear as "active" along with your PE license number. Meanwhile, it will take ~1-2 weeks to receive the hard-copy license document from the State. I would argue that it's OK to start using it as soon as the Dept. of State shows your license as active along with your number, but for the sake of being totally legit I suppose it's a better idea to wait until you have the actual license in-hand.

Back