What states get actual number grades?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, unfortunately they seem to give the states too much power. and my state has apparently decided to stand in the corner and not take any of it.
I'm not sure who you mean by "they", but you might want to reread (or read, if you've never done so!) Articles Four and Six of the United States Constitution.

VA gives the passing score on the FE and the PE
Do you mean they give you the score it would take to pass? or they only give you your score if you pass? I'm confused.

BTW, thanx everyone for responding, little polls help take my mind off the "tick, tock, tick, tock" wait....

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally hate seeing this poll -- only those who have their results already are concerned with who gets the score and who doesn't. I just want to know something at this point!

In MS in 2003, they gave the score for the FE. I think they have since changed that.

In AL, you get pass/fail only for the PE.

I think it's funny you posted your second message 5 minutes after your first. I bet the wait for results is REALLY getting you down.

Also, I'm not sure a lot of people could emotionally take instant scoring for the PE. I studied for the LEED exam in one weekend. It took 1.5 hours. There was still a bit of a "gut check" while the computer was calculating the scores. Oh, I got a $300 "well done" for becoming accredited.

Most people study for the PE for months. It takes 8 hours. I was physically and mentally drained when I walked out of that room. My career path is one where the license is necessary for advancement/responsibility. While getting an instantaneous "pass" would have been great, a "fail" would have absolutely rocked me. So, on top of physical and mental exhaustion, I would suddenly be emotionally exhausted. I'm a pretty level headed guy, and I don't let setbacks get to me very often. But, I can see where this situation would be way too much for a lot of people.

That being said, I think the wait is necessary not only from a scoring/review/accuracy standpoint, but also in consideration of the emotional well being of the applicants.

I agree, the wait is warranted -- lets just make it consistent!

In MS in 2003, they gave the score for the FE. I think they have since changed that.
In AL, you get pass/fail only for the PE.

I think it's funny you posted your second message 5 minutes after your first. I bet the wait for results is REALLY getting you down.

Also, I'm not sure a lot of people could emotionally take instant scoring for the PE. I studied for the LEED exam in one weekend. It took 1.5 hours. There was still a bit of a "gut check" while the computer was calculating the scores. Oh, I got a $300 "well done" for becoming accredited.

Most people study for the PE for months. It takes 8 hours. I was physically and mentally drained when I walked out of that room. My career path is one where the license is necessary for advancement/responsibility. While getting an instantaneous "pass" would have been great, a "fail" would have absolutely rocked me. So, on top of physical and mental exhaustion, I would suddenly be emotionally exhausted. I'm a pretty level headed guy, and I don't let setbacks get to me very often. But, I can see where this situation would be way too much for a lot of people.

That being said, I think the wait is necessary not only from a scoring/review/accuracy standpoint, but also in consideration of the emotional well being of the applicants.
The wait is warranted but not knowing how much of a wait does affect you negatively.... I don't mind waiting as long as I know when I would get results.

I personally hate seeing this poll -- only those who have their results already are concerned with who gets the score and who doesn't. I just want to know something at this point!
i DON"T have my results...

i DON"T have my results...
Really does it matter whether you get 96 or 71! You are still a pass..... At this point I want to know whether I passed or failed! I guess once I get result, I will be more inclined to find out my score!

I agree, the wait is warranted -- lets just make it consistent!
This is what makes me crazy. why cant everyone get their results at the same time. why aren't they issued to you directly from the testing company? why does the state get to be the middle man. i mean if they want to review and decide who gets to be an engineer that fine. but getting your results for the TEST without them being altered in any way should be a right.

then if the state decided even though you passed your character is not worthy they can tell you that separately and give the reason. if they decided that you failed but you've been in the military and deserve a boost they can tell you that. i just don't feel right about them standing between me and my actual test performance.

This is what makes me crazy. why cant everyone get their results at the same time. why aren't they issued to you directly from the testing company? why does the state get to be the middle man. i mean if they want to review and decide who gets to be an engineer that fine. but getting your results for the TEST without them being altered in any way should be a right.
then if the state decided even though you passed your character is not worthy they can tell you that separately and give the reason. if they decided that you failed but you've been in the military and deserve a boost they can tell you that. i just don't feel right about them standing between me and my actual test performance.
The whole process makes one feel crazy! The testing agency NCEES should realease all results at one time. MD had still not recieved any results from NCEES(Latest from Friday)! I personally feel that results from all states should come out at one time, whether they are given out by testing agency or the contractors (like ELSES, EES etc.) or the states.

The states which try to change the cut off score are tempering with the exam results. If you had passed the exam according to NCEES you could still fail if states change the cutting score. I do understand the extra points given for military and some special classes.

The exam is taken at National level and not state level. The result of the whole nation should come out altogether.

At the present time at least, tHe state licenses engineers, not the federal government. So the state is not just a middleman, they are the licensing agency and can set any criteria they want. It just happens that every state accepts the NCEES cut score, although they may add a few points for veterans, etc.

Everybody acts like the exam is the only thing in the licensing process. Nobody (or almost nobody) ever seems to complain about the far greater inconsistency in the other requirements from state to state.

And I 100% guarantee that none of the bellyachers on here will care one iota once they receive a passing score and get licensed.

I'm fine with them being in charge of the licensing. i don't see whats wrong with wanting to know if i passed the test independent of that.

and now you're bellyaching about others, what makes you better than anyone else?

I'm fine with them being in charge of the licensing. i don't see whats wrong with wanting to know if i passed the test independent of that.
and now you're bellyaching about others, what makes you better than anyone else?
You will find out if you passed the test. From the state, or EES, or NCEES, or however it is set up in your state. I'm not sure I understand who it is you think should be informing you about your results. If you aren't happy with that, I'll tell you what. Make it your life's work to change the process.

Perhaps you can point out to me where I am bellyaching about others or claimed to be better than anybody else? You really need to relax.

Everybody acts like the exam is the only thing in the licensing process. Nobody (or almost nobody) ever seems to complain about the far greater inconsistency in the other requirements from state to state.
And I 100% guarantee that none of the bellyachers on here will care one iota once they receive a passing score and get licensed.
This is bellyaching, if you don't like the thread - ignore it. I didn't petition you for your personal opinion

This is bellyaching, if you don't like the thread - ignore it. I didn't petition you for your personal opinion
Are you in charge here? What is your title? I didn't know things were so structured around this forum.

You're posting on a forum, so people respond to the things you post. Get used to it.

Back