What software should I know as a recent graduate?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IE Steve

Reaction score
I recently graduated with a degree in Industrial Engineering and started grad school for a masters.

I am looking for a full timejob as my classes are at night and will allow for it. I am in the process of taking advanced excel, access, visiou, sql, programming classes on Udemy to improve my skills but wondering what else is important to know?

If anyone can offer can advise on what I should learn before applying to jobs or anything about landing my first real job that would be apprciated!

Presuming you're sticking in Industrial Engineering, you may also want to get familiar with some sort of advanced NLP solver (we used AMPL)

I would like to go into an IE job but I'm willing to go into another engineering disipline as I have good knowledge with general exngineering princples and robotics.

I am open to any other advise outside of IE. Also what exactly is NLP and AMPL?

Also thanks for the MiniTab suggestion, that's on the to do list

Sorry, that's non-linear programming. AMPL is just the software, don't remember what the acroynm is for.

One of my degrees had a heavy Operations Research/ Industrial Engineering component. Optimization figured pretty significantly in that, and most of the interesting optimization problems were non-linear.

Industrial engineers require strong analytical and creative thinking skills for effective decision-making. Industrial engineers should also be good communicators because they work with a variety of professionals, from management to front-line employees, as well as their clients.

Microsoft office. Gonna be writing reports and such.

Back