What occupation do engineers marry?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does your spouse do?

• Engineer

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Nurse

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Teacher

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Other (expound below)

Votes: 19 43.2%

• Total voters
In my experience, many (most?) female engineers marry other engineers, but the numbers just don't allow the reverse to be generally true....at least not yet!
As far as the technical staff ladies I work with, I don't think any of them are married to engineers. Definitely some have professional, techie type hubbies, just not 'engineers'. Come to think of it I only know maybe 1 or 2 overall who have engineer husbands.

My fiance is a professor at a small acupuncture college, also has an acupuncture clinic part-time. He's way more artsy than me.

Years ago I was dating a civil engineer, but was advised by my engineer coworkers that "two engineers should never marry". I suppose they're right; we'd just fight over who gets to fix all the broken shit at home.

Yet, with another engineer, conversation is never lacking. When I dated that civil eng, we could totally understand each other's gripes about work. And when I go out for beers with the engineers at work, all we do is argue over smart grids, calculus problems, engineering stuff, dynamics equations, the Coriolis effect, etc. When we shoot pool we argue over angles of incidence/plastic vs. elastic collisions, vector calcs, etc. The wives/significant others who join us get really, really bored.

I have to second Chucktown, do you want your kids to grow up hating and fearing you?
Been away for a while, but I think my "lay down the law" thing is a little bit relative. I am by no means an iron fist type of guy, however, I think that I'd definitely be the one to make them work for things and wouldn't always be coddling them. My fiancée is definitely of the spoiling type as her Mom totally gave her everything she wanted. I hopefully will be as good as my dad was with me. He's one of my best friends even though we live halfway across the country.

I am not married, but if I had to choose, I would probably marry a stripper. Or, preferably, a string of strippers - getting a new one every time I grew tired of the lack of new things to talk about with the previous stripper.
But then again, if I could marry an engineer, who is also a stripper, that could just very well solve my dilemma......

Hmmmm......
Probably the best post I've read on this site.

^^ I did actually know a chick one time who had an engineering degree, was working at MDOT and moonlighting as a stripper on the side.

She got fired.

From the DOT. Somebody she worked with saw her down there. The director was not amused.

P.S. that avatar makes my boobs hurt. :poking: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife is a tech analyst (i think) with Cyberdyne Systems. . .(i've said too much) - lets just say a 'software' corporation

she make heap big $$ :thankyou: while never having finished a formal degree - i'm kinda the inverse of that

i agree- change that one to medical field. my husbands a doctor. other engineers i know are married to engineers, nurses, programmers, people that work in engineering firms, teachers, doctors. ha, that is everyone i can think of. i never thought of it until you pointed it out.

my exboyfriend just married a stripper. :) i was there :-D

From the DOT. Somebody she worked with saw her down there. The director was not amused.
P.S. that avatar makes my boobs hurt. :poking: :D

Can they legally fire her based on those grounds?

Back