What now? Finishing the process in Texas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I applied in 2012 but it gave me a statement with info about getting my fingerprints done. I think we all may need to have it done no matter when we applied. Apparently renewals need to do it too so it doesn't appear there is any grandfathering.
we have been fingerprinting everywhere, why can they just share the database....

Looks like I'm all done?!? I am now showing in the state roster with a grant date of 5/21/2014 and an expiration date and a PE license number. Maybe I don't have to do the fingerprinting after all (since I originally applied in 2012). Also, if there is a required state fee of $200, I guess it paid it at some point in the past 2 years.

Looks like I'm all done?!? I am now showing in the state roster with a grant date of 5/21/2014 and an expiration date and a PE license number. Maybe I don't have to do the fingerprinting after all (since I originally applied in 2012). Also, if there is a required state fee of $200, I guess it paid it at some point in the past 2 years.
Me too! I just called the board, and was told that the only thing I need to do now is to get my seal, and I can do the criminal check when I renew my license next year.

Awesome... now I need to work on getting Civil added as an area of competency to my Mechanical.

Awesome... now I need to work on getting Civil added as an area of competency to my Mechanical.
sounds a good idea. don't know if it makes sense for me to study for a PE in a different area of electrical... no matter which area in Electrical, the roster will always say ELE....or maybe I can get a mechanical in HVAC?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm working in civil now but took the Mechanical test purely because I felt a better chance to pass. I just read the board rules. You can have an area of competency added one of three ways: 1) additional degree, 2) SER with 4 years of experience verified by at least one PE in the new field, 3) exam. I'm going for number 2 since I've always worked kind of a hybrid of mechanical and civil. I'm hoping my original SER and references will suffice. I need to call the board and see if that works or if it needs to be 4 years of experience after the initial application or what...

It's been 2 years since I originally applied and if I had to wait another 2 before submitting a new SER, I'd consider taking a crack at a civil exam.

Got my License number today from TX. My stamp is already on order. They said the official certificate comes in a couple weeks.

Waiting on the conversation with the boss........

Golden Eagle. I'm looking at stamps now. Did you order the 2" or 1 5/8"? I'm not sure which is more common. I'm waiting on my office neighbor to get back from lunch to see which he has. From where did you order it?

I'm working in civil now but took the Mechanical test purely because I felt a better chance to pass. I just read the board rules. You can have an area of competency added one of three ways: 1) additional degree, 2) SER with 4 years of experience verified by at least one PE in the new field, 3) exam. I'm going for number 2 since I've always worked kind of a hybrid of mechanical and civil. I'm hoping my original SER and references will suffice. I need to call the board and see if that works or if it needs to be 4 years of experience after the initial application or what...

It's been 2 years since I originally applied and if I had to wait another 2 before submitting a new SER, I'd consider taking a crack at a civil exam.
Thanks for the tips! since getting a new degree is most likely not an option for me, I need to find another PE in the area I would like to add to my resume, then work on it. civil always goes with mechanical, so you made a right choice of combination:)

Got my License number today from TX. My stamp is already on order. They said the official certificate comes in a couple weeks.

Waiting on the conversation with the boss........
You are acting fast, thumb up
Yeah, I kind of had to get going on the stamp because the TX board requires you stamp a document for them before you can do anything. You also only have 60 days to do so. It will be nice to get it in the mail next week.

anyone any idea how long it takes to get added to the roster?

Generally the type of stamp you get is mandated by what's listed in the respective state's code of conduct. Once you have the proper stamp format determined, you can pick which stamp will work for that. When I purchased my stamp, I bought the self-inking one and it is great. Even purchased some additional refill ink. The wife has the rubber stamp with an ink pad and the pad is constantly drying out on her. I think I convinced her to get the self-inking variety. :)

I knew I should've got the self inking one. I was thinking the stamp pad will be good for changing colors or what not. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully it gets delivered next week.

Back