What do you do?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I missed this.
In my neck of the woods, the only people who get the Fire Protection PE are the ones doing federal work. I guess there are some who take it just to have the FP PE, but mech or civvie PE's can work on fire protection systems if they are competant in the area.
Not meaning to bump an old post, but since it gets bumped with each new poll refresh I might as well ask:

What do you usually do with the FPE? I think you mentioned getting the ME PE.

I typically do fire sprinkler/alarm layout and I know a PE isn't really required except for, as you said, federal work. We usually send our stuff out to have a PE stamp our drawings when required.

Career wise, I know the big money is closely tied to working in the oil industry. I know the guys who go out on the platforms make a high income, but I'm not sure I want to be away from my family for months. I'm basically looking for a way to plan something lucrative and I know lots of fire protection is hokey (ie two identical retard chambers, one for plumbing and one for FP, the FP one having the ubiquitous "FM" stamp costing 3x as much).

The counselors at school know little about fire protection and I happened into it by accident and love it and would like to pursue it. I do stuff to FM standards all the time, I wonder if those review guys at FM do well.

I suppose I'd be a contractor, insurance co. reviewer, designer or inspector. I'd also like to add I've looked at the SFPE stuff and I'm wondering if they have a proofreader. It seems a ******* child of industrial, mechanical and civil, kinda like petroleum is a ******* child of geo, mech and civil. I really enjoy it, I'm just not sure what I'd do with the thing or what my options are.

I can't believe I never saw this thread until now. Nice stats!
Riddle me this.

THree People have met "several" EB comers in real life. I take it several means at least three.

Two people have met only one EB.comer. Therefore, those people could only have met one of the three, or each other. But if they met each other, then that means that the three couldn't have met them, and only met within the group of three. So they could only have met two people. o, doing the combinations and permutations,

Oh, never mind, I'm getting dizzy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riddle me this.THree People have met "several" EB comers in real life. I take it several means at least three.

Two people have met only one EB.comer. Therefore, those people could only have met one of the three, or each other. But if they met each other, then that means that the three couldn't have met them, and only met within the group of three. So they could only have met two people. o, doing the combinations and permutations,

I'm pretty sure that the answer has something to do with airplanes and conveyors.

Riddle me this.THree People have met "several" EB comers in real life. I take it several means at least three.

How does the response about one member having weekly meetings at the bar fit in to all this? Must be someone with some sort of multiple personality disorder, right? :dunno:

VT, I'm looking in your direction. ;)

Project Management

Private Consultant

Passed PE

12 years out of school

Love the Conveyor Thread

Spam EB as much as possible

Green skin

I've met 1 EB member

You're assuming that everyone who has met someone answered the poll :D

(I'll be honest I'm not 100% sure that was what you were assuming but i got confused half way through and figured I'd take a stab at it.)

Construction (Transportation)

County (10 years previously consulting)

Passed PE

12 years out of school

Love the Conveyor Thread

When I get time

Blue Skin is GOATSE, dont call it boring or we will take the other 2 away
wink.gif

I've met 4-5 EB member's (but some of them I knew before we made eb.com) Only one still post regularly

You're assuming that everyone who has met someone answered the poll :D
(I'll be honest I'm not 100% sure that was what you were assuming but i got confused half way through and figured I'd take a stab at it.)
That makes sense.

I don't remember exactly what I was assuming. Actually, I think I was just jokng around.

Other (Hydrology & hydraulics)

Private consultant (have also been in government, research, taught one class)

Passed PE

Graduated over 20 yrs ago

Airplane thread

Visit when I can

Blue (for water yanno)

No

Since I'm new here (don't judge by the joining date), I'll give my info:

Structural

Private consultant (EPC firm that designs/builds Power Plants)

Studying for PE

Graduated 4 years ago

Airplane thread

For the paste 2 weeks or so, 10-15 times per day

Blue

No

Structural

Utility

Waiting for Results

Graduated with my BSCE in 2005. Finished my M.Eng in 2008.

Anything by Fudgey (My favorite is the Fudgey gets a date thread)

Im an addict

Blue

None

I actually do land development, construction and transportation. I limited my vote to the one I seem to do more of.
Time to update my response:

Construction

Transportation District quasi-government

Passed PE Spring 2008

Graduated May 2003

Anything by Fudgey & the airplane/conveyor thread

Any chance I get

the "new" blue theme

Haven't met anyone, but have friended several on FB

I am a Project Engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Currently I am working in fabulous Afghanistan for the next year. I have my P.E. although it doesn't mean too much over here since our primary job duty is babysitting contractors to make sure they aren't screwing the taxpayers. I'd love to meet someone from the board, but I'm guessing my chances of that while I'm over here are pretty slim.

Well see, they wrote all this bank software, and, uh, to save space, they used two digits for the date instead of four. So, like, 98 instead of 1998? Uh, so I go through these thousands of lines of code and, uh... it doesn't really matter. I uh, I don't like my job, and, uh, I don't think I'm gonna go anymore.

Water Resources

Private Consulting firm

Passed PE

Graduated May 2011

Anything

Any chance I can

Boring blue

Never

Back