WHAT DID YOU DO RIGHT?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked problems, then worked some more. When I got tired of working problems, I worked problems. After awhile, I was just so fed up with working problems that I worked some more problems. If I needed a break, I would take a day off and just work problems. Did I mention that I worked problems??????
That totally explains your avatar picture.

I kinda followed the same technique for my SE1 exam. I have over 200 pages of problems typed up in MathCAD. I would try to solve the problems as generically as possible. Kinda of creating templates instead. Then I could go back and fiddle with them, and see what different changes would cause.

I almost forgot that.....

The most contributing factor to my passing was my "cookbook". I picked up a large 3 ring binder, and as I worked problems, I made "cheat sheets" for each problem type. Each cheat sheet had different equations for different unknowns. My goal when I studied was to be able to solve any problem I picked by using my cookbook ILO other reference materials. I broke it into chapters i.e: wood, masonry, rc, bridge, loads, etc. I made an index for each chapter listing the types of problems and what pages they were on. I was in this book about 90% of the exam. It GREATLY increased my speed and allowed me to spend more time on problems that I didn't know. I really can't believe that I forgot to put this in my previous post.

:bow:

Last edited:
The first time, I studied books (the CERM and the notebook from a reveiw course that I took). I only looked at problems and did not work them out. This time, I was planning a wedding, got married, went on the honeymoon. So I started studying after we returned. Only a month until the exam. The only thing I did was work out all the problems in a sample exam and a practice problems book from Lindburgh. I worked them out completely. The solutions in the back really came in handy.

Units, Units, UNITS!! Remember your factor label method? When doing your problems, make sure to actually write down the units, so you can make sure that in the end, you have the units that the question asks for. I found that a lot of the problems were simply units conversions. I didn't know what the problem was asking, but I used some given information and multiplied or divided by other given information, used some units conversions, and I got an answer that I was pretty happy with. Get to know your units in the front of the CERM.

I also changed how I carried my books into the exam. The first time I used the largest suitcase we owned. It worked great, but it was so heavy that I had a hard time getting it into and out of the SUV (since I'm a weak woman). I got to the exam city early the day before the exam and bought a luggage carrier and a laundry basket. I bungy-corded them together, and it was much easier to handle. I could use the handles on the laundry basket to lift it all into the car, and I didn't have to set anything up (lay the suitcase down, unzip, etc) when I got the exam.

Congrats to those that passed, and good luck to those that will pass later. I hope this gives you ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should also be noted that the proposed changes were reviewed by Vermont Fish and Wildlife, which maintains jurisdiction over a deer wintering area where the discharge point is located.  They took no exceptions to the proposed re-design.
I too was amazed at how many of the problems were just making the units work out.

I had several questions where I didn't know the exact formula I needed, but I looked at what they gave me, and the units for the answer, and just started making units cancel, converting to metric, etc.

I made a reference book for just the areas I thought I would have problems with and then loaded it full of equations, terms, and example problems that I had solved. I then rewrote and organized a couple of weeks before the test. I also slowed down and laid off the Monster drinks during the test. The first time I took the test I walked out an hour early in the am and pm and then failed. This time I used all the time allowed and made fewer careless errors.

I passed Mechanical with the HVAC depth section. My key to passing wasn't spending a ton of time on studying, but making sure the time I did hav availble to study was well used.

I used the MERM and the supplemental sample questions book from "the other board" to direct my studies.

I streamlined my studying by ignoring portions of the material that wouldn't really help me - i.e. math (there aren't any integrals on the test), engineering drawings (as long as you can read three view drawings, you'll be cool), etc. I also skipped in depth topics for the other afternoon sections. Also, the mechanical test only uses english units so I completely ignored the SI units.

For the sections I did care about, I would skim over the MERM first with an empahsis on skim. Then I would go through the practice problems and go back throught the MERM or refer to any reference material I had to answer it. AFter I was done with a section, I would go back over the MERM to review sections that weren't covered by the questions more thorougly.

This worked well for the morning part of the exam. There were a lot of questions similar to the line of thought for the "the other board" questions. Texas lets you bring in the sample questions and solutions manuals (some states don't so check!). For some questions on the test, I looked up the topic in the MERM index, found hte chapter the the topic was covered and then looked in the solutions manual under that chapter for a similar problem. This worked well for a number of questions.

For the afternoon, if you have been working in HVAC for 4 years, I would say that you need to study very very little. If you haven't been working in this industy, I would think twice about taking the HVAC depth section. MERM doesn't cover this topic very extensively. For this section be sure you have ALL FOUR ASHRAE BOOKS. A ton of questions could be answered by looking up the topic in the ASHRAE index and doing some reading. Especially for the equipment knowledge questions. Also, use the rules of thumb you use everyday (btu=1.1*cfm*dt, tons=gpm*dt/24, etc). Just because you are taking the PE test doesn't mean you ahve to use complicated caluclations to get your answers. Look at the solutions avalable for you to choose from. If they are pretty spread out rules of thumb will be safe to use. In other words, your rules of thumb may not get the right answer if the answers are 1 or 2 BTU from each other, but if it is out of the tolerance you could accept in your work, your rules of thumb will be fine. Remember that you make similar calculations everyday without looking up specific heats in a chart. And your calcs have to be pretty close or you would have problems... ANyway, I used my ductulator instead of looking up frcition factors. Remember the limitations of your rules of thumb, but if the temperatures, flowrates, etc. are similar to what you use everyday, use them.

ANyway, that's my two cents. Hopefully it made sense...

how about a little advise from a 3-time loser!!!!!

I KNOW that I missed at least one question and possibly more because I didn't pay attention to the solution. I'm referring to a transportation afternoon question that asked about a pavement width. It was a straight look-up in the AASHTO green book, I looked up the speed, and the parameters, and there was the answer. then AFTER I left the exam, I decided to look at that again, and guess what? In SMALL print, under the chart, it said....if you have this, and this other thing, add 2'!!!!!

I didn't pay close enough attention to the small print under the charts, and this cost me at least ONE question, and maybe more....and I ended up with 49 correct this time...think I could have used that point????? :true:

I took the Oct 06 Chemical PE. Books I bought: ChERM by Lindburg and 6 Minute solutions.

I am a very poor standardized test taker, always have been, so I spend quite a lot of time with my nose in the books. I spent my lunch hours (~45 minutes a day) reading through ChERM and workingout the practice questions starting probably in the May/June timeframe. When August came around I spent at least 2 hours each night (M-F) working problems from ChERM and the 6 minute solutions, with a few all day study days.

I used ChERM quite a lot on the exam, but it is severely lacking in kinetics (total of 4 pages) and design (there must have been 100+ pages labeled Design, but had really no relevance to ChE design). I used my kinetics textbook from college Livenspiel I believe. I don't have a recommendation for design as the semester I took it was the semester the ChE Department decided they weren't going to assign a senior design project because they had been getting too many complaints on how it was too stressfull on the seniors trying to find jobs and do a design project at the same time... :true: So it made interviewing interesting because the first question was always so what was your senior design project. ...Rant off

I defintely recommend not studying the night before the exam...relax, have a nice diner, and if possible spend the night at/near the testing location.

After taking this test, the best advice I can give is this: If it seems easy, it probably is.

I just looked at engineerseals.com, and was wondering if someone could recommend an embosser seal size (distance from the edge of the document). They had three different seal types.

? Hand Held - ?? from the edge of page

? Standard Desk - ?? from the edge of page

? Long Reach - 2 ?? from the edge to the center of impression.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

clay1492

Nice Icon :pencil:

TX requires a signature and seal on all original plans; other documents may be signed only, or can be sealed at the engineer's discretion. It is standard practice to sign across the face of the seal - take care to not obstruct the name or number on the seal. You are not permitted to use any reproduced or stamped signature on original documents. (Signing a seal and inserting it into CAD files also violates this requirement.)

It depends on the state.

Originally posted on the "other" forum, took PE exam in October 2006.

I took the Civil/Transportation and passed on my first attempt. This is the basic strategy I used in my preparation for the PE exam. I suggest anyone to come up with a strategy based on how you learn and stick to it. When I shared my schedule with some of my college friends that had taken and passed the exam on their first attempts, they all told me I had too many hours per week devoted to studying. Needless to say I stuck to my guns and did what I think I had to do to pass or at least to give myself the best chance possible. My strategy is a combination of different strategies and tips taken from this very same board when I was preparing, thanks WolfPack PE and others. I studied for about 15-20 hrs per week and a total of about 250-300 hrs. I started preparing about four months out. I took a 12 week class offered by the local ASCE in conjunction with the local university.

I used the percentages in CERM for the transportation option and calculated how many questions I would have from each discipline. For Transportation the big three percentages were TRANS/GEO/WR, so I focused on those three topics in that order. I only had 8 questions each for ENV/STR, so I did those near the end of my study period. I had two, 3 ring binders. One with my three major subjects, the other with the two minor subjects. Each subject was broken into three sections THEORY & NOTES, SOLVED PROBLEMS and EQUATIONS. I spent a solid month compiling information, photocopying and organizing my information. I basically was trying to get all the relevant exam information into one location. For instance, I photocopied the Quick Reference from Lindeberg and split it up into my different notebooks. I did the same with the Appendices from CERM etc. This may be overkill, but I found it to be very useful. I did all of this before I started doing problems.

For my problem solving, I had separate spiral notebooks for each subject. I worked problems diligently and sometimes would only get a few problems done per session which was very frustrating. One of the keys was ?learning? where to go to be able to solve a problem i.e. which appendix to go to, which reference, what table in the HCM, Greenbook etc. After a while the problems started to overlap and you know exactly where to go, how to solve it and sometimes can look back at a similar problem and solve it in a few minutes. Once I solved a comfortable amount of problems and felt comfortable with the subject, I would move on to my next subject in line. Cross referencing the CERM or other references to problems you work is also a good idea.

The problems I solved were as follows:

Six Minute Solutions, I did the entire book for Transportation and only did the breadth sections in the other subjects.

NCEES Sample Questions & Solutions (2000), I did all the problems in this book for all subjects. This book was very good in making me feel comfortable with the test layout, the way instructions are written and so forth.

Smart Pros, if you can get your hands on these, I suggest you do. I did all the problems for each subject.

I did not do any practice exams.

I also spent a good amount of time going through the examples and theory I received from my review class.

The last four to five days I spent flagging my books, photocopying, making notes in my books and winding down to get ready for the exam. I took the day off before the exam, spent the morning in the library studying and spent the afternoon doing a dry run to the exam site.

I think I took 20-25 references to the exam, but this may have been inflated by the fact that I had several spiral notebooks with my solved problems. Don?t be ashamed by taking a lot of books (if you think you need them), I went in with the theory of I rather have it and don?t use it than not to have it if I need it. Others on the forum will see bringing a lot of books as overkill or a sign of being unprepared, but as I said in the open, do whatever you have to do to pass.

I hope this helps or gives someone a starting point. Good Luck to all in future exams.

I think the biggest thing is to give yourself enough time to study and work LOTS of problems. Also:

- Focus on your depth areas mostly. Spend 70-80% of your time on problems in these sections.

- Make a study plan and stick to it. Be sure to allow for a day of rest each week or you'll get burned out. I allowed every Sunday off as long as I got 15 hours in before then. It really helps to enter every Monday fresh.

- Did I say work problems?? Work a lot. I learned new stuff the week before the exam by working problems over again in my depth area.

- The CERM in invaluable. Don't leave home without it. I also very highly recommend the HP 33s calculator. It will change your life.

Good Luck!

I also very highly recommend the HP 33s calculator. It will change your life.
It's the best one on the puny NCEES list in my opinion but it's a hunk of crap compared to other HP's that are available. I hate mine and am planning to destroy it in marvelous fashion. Pics to follow in the "Shoot the Breeze" section.

;guns; :dddd: : USA : :beerchug

I used ChERM quite a lot on the exam, but it is severely lacking in kinetics (total of 4 pages) and design (there must have been 100+ pages labeled Design, but had really no relevance to ChE design). I used my kinetics textbook from college Livenspiel I believe...
I too took the ChE PE exam in October and passed. First time.

In addition to Snickerd3's comments, I'd add the following:

1) Try to get a "the other board" ChERM 5th edition. Current is 6th. 5th was written by Robinson and the Kinetics section is excellent. Could be all you need for the exam, but Livenspiel is also helpful, esp. for some kinetics design questions.

2) Have a good conversions table, or make your own. You'll know what you need if you practice enough problems.

3) The ChE PE review by Das is also good for kinetics and especially for design. There is a practice exam that goes with this ref. book and its very good. Highly recommend the PE Practice exam even w/o the reference book to go with it.

4) Make sure you save some practice exams until closer to the exam and do them timed. Will give you a preview of how its so easy to let 1 problem eat up toooooo much time.

5) Get the PE practice exam from the NCEES. Do it, timed, about 2-3 weeks before the exam. Make sure you understand all problems backward and forward. Take this into the exam if your state allows.

6) You'll need Perry's for some design questions, so tab it or know where to go for various topics.

7) Don't stress too much. If you prepare well, you'll find the exam easier than you expect.

Good luck!!!

I agree with Mccole. I would also add the GPSA to the reference books as it has some info that could be used for the plant design section of the exam -- I felt the "the other board" preparation for this section was pretty lacking.

Kinetics section was horrible too - I did as much practice problems and study notes as possible and crossed my fingers.

I passed 1st time October 2006.

I agree with Mccole. I would also add the GPSA to the reference books as it has some info that could be used for the plant design section of the exam -- I felt the "the other board" preparation for this section was pretty lacking.Kinetics section was horrible too - I did as much practice problems and study notes as possible and crossed my fingers.

I passed 1st time October 2006.
Ooh and I also used Crane.

CERM Structure and transportation chapters for Civil/Water depth

For those taking the PE Civil/Water depth, the Structure and transportation are not required for the PM (depth) exam.

Hence, what chapters of CERM would be sufficient to cover the Structure and transportation questions of AM (breadth) exam?

(Note that the NCEES syllabus does not pin point the required CERM chapters)

Back