WHAT DID YOU DO RIGHT?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soccerPE, you mentioned units conversion. That is one of the crucial areas that many engineers fail to see and yet it helps even in being able to see how to solve the problem in a multitude of circumstances. Thank you for bringing that one up!

Also, I practiced studying for long sittings at a time. My boyfriend was studying for the GMAT so both of us would study together for hours and hours. Sitting in a room for 8+ hours taking a test is absolutely awful. You should try and practice concentrating for at least half this time.

Also, I took sugar candies in to kinda wake me up during the exam and drank a huge coke.

Also, get Metcalf & Eddy if you are not confortable with the Environmental stuff.

I based my time on the % of the test. I spent a lot of time in WR (my section), then GEO and ENV. I brushed through TRANS and STRUCT, even though I didn't have any classes in school or any projects. A bigger difference in your score will come from knowing your section the best rather than killing yourself to learn some section only covered in the morning.

Also, I practiced studying for long sittings at a time. My boyfriend was studying for the GMAT so both of us would study together for hours and hours.
I used to have real "romantic" weekends like that with the girlfriend at the time when I was in grad school and she was in the class taking phase of her PhD. :suicide:

Also, get Metcalf & Eddy if you are not confortable with the Environmental stuff.
Intro to Envl Engineering by Masters is another solid book for that.

I worked problems, then worked some more. When I got tired of working problems, I worked problems. After awhile, I was just so fed up with working problems that I worked some more problems. If I needed a break, I would take a day off and just work problems. Did I mention that I worked problems??????

^ I'm not of the work as many problems as you can school.

My method was to re-read entire chapters of textbooks based on practice problems I saw. Then write condensed summary notes of each chapter.

If I saw one question on filtration, I'd read the entire chapter in my old wastewater text, copy down key terms and formulas, xerox any tables/charts, and put them in a 3-ring binder.

I took the Envl exam. So I used PPI's 101 Solved Environmental Engineering Problems as a diagnostic to see what was going to be asked. Then got familiar with all the problem areas.

I then used the Practice Exams book to build up speed and familiarity with test-like questions.

To me, it was more important to understand the concept behind something. I felt like that way I could figure out an unfamiliar problem, rather than having to rely on seeing something just like my review with different numbers.

For me, this is what I did to prepare for the exam:

1. Ordered the Environmental PE review package from "the other board" and the NCEES 100 Enviro PE exam practice problems.

2. Began studying 2 hrs every night in early August by the reading EnvERM cover to cover and working problems. I quit studying a week before the exam, I was basically burnt out.

3. I took a PE exam review class which really helped.

4. Re-organized my review class notes into individual binders for certain topics, ie hydraulics, environmental, etc.

5. Place color-coded index flags/tabs on various tables and sections within my reference books and notes so I wouldn't need to hunt for information during test.

6. Tried not to worry about the exam.

Just my '.02'

The one thing I never did was read the ENVRM cover to cover.

That to me was a reference manual, something to grab a key equation, definition, constant out of, but I've never touched 2/3 of that book. I wanted something less condensed to learn from scratch from.

I do keep it as a reference at my office though, and it has come in handy a number of times.

The one thing I never did was read the ENVRM cover to cover.
That to me was a reference manual, something to grab a key equation, definition, constant out of, but I've never touched 2/3 of that book. I wanted something less condensed to learn from scratch from.
I read it/used it mainly for putting some structure in my very old, rusty, and poor study habits.

Aside from the ENVRM, I found the NCEES Envro practice exam very helpful.

Calling EE PE's? Any electricals have any similar advice about what worked for them?

Adding another note:

I did a lot of searching for free downloads of information and found a lot from USDOT, FDOT, Navy, Army, US Corp of Engineers, FEMA, NRCS, USDA, EPA, SJRWMD, FDEP and others. Created binders with a lot of printed version of these documents and did a lot of reading through the information. I have a much larger library now than when I started this PE thing.

Took the entire set with me the first time and missed it. I had gotten the CERM 10th only one day before the exam (big mistake even though I had the 6th for years). Didn't fully know where to find things and had too much information and the table was crowded even though I was the only one on the table.

Second time, I only took the CERM, 6 min solutions, my breakdown of the 6 min solutions, my notes, tables, figures, etc. Had someone else sitting at the table with me so I couldn't have had much more with me anyway.

Having the book props really helped out the second time (saw someone with those the first time and he looked prepared).

Second time around I also got a rolling cart (felt stupid the first time when my wife and I were carrying three HEAVY boxes to the room, while watching the SMARTER folk wheeling there one single box into the room).

Made sure I knew how to program the calculator well and already had the "Essential Equations for the Civil PE Exam Using the HP 33s" programmed in as well as the TR-55 Tc time of concentration, Cipoletti weir equation and so forth. On one problem, just knowing how to program the calculator helped solve that problem easily. Using the solver instead of rewriting the equation saved a lot of time.

My wife made sure I had the Starbucks coffee (chilled) ready (coffee in the morning with two on standby), light snacks (don't want to waste time going to the bathroom or having stomach problems) and hard candy (sugar does wonderful things).

Humility going in the Second time was probably the true key in making it. Watch out for that pride; it'll get ya.

If your wife can go with you and meet you for lunch, that is a big help (I'll show her this post...and see what happens).

Just a few ideas and learned lessons.

Thomas P. McKeon, PE

:true:

About the EE-PE test prep:

NCEES Sample test was very useful but what made the difference for me was the Kaplan sample test. I think it is a must have(The manual...not so good) The test problems were complex and not PE test style but made the morning part a piece of cake and the afternoon part do-able(excuse me if do-able is not accepted by the Royal English Academy... :jk: ). Also my machines book was excellent. Even when I did not pass in earlier tries I always did great in machines.

I have some review material from my on-line course(highly recommended) that I would not mind to give away for... free :true: . You just have to take care of the shipping. If you are in at or near South Florida, then... is a plus. Let me know.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i was going to post this advice only if i passed. well i got the word yesterday and i passed!

here was the method to my madness.

there are about 5 topics for the civil engineering license:

environmental

structural

transportation

water resources

geotechnical

i specialized in transportation meaning that i would only see environmental and structural in the am and see the rest both in the am and pm.

it took about 5 months of straight studying and here is how i distributed my time and effort for each subject:

transportation 60 %

water resources 20%

geotechnical 15%

environmental 5%

structural 0%

structural is one of the most complex of the 5 subjects and would require a lot of time and effort for adequate understanding. so since i will only see a fraction of it in the morning i neglected structural and instead used the time to study heavily on trans, water, and geo.

however, during the exam i was able recognize some structural questions, simply from memory of my college courses (i know it's probably a long time for most people)

Took my exam in California. Becoming a PE requires passing 3 exams here. So in California not a PE yet (just waiting for results of Special Surveying exam). But already passed the 8hr PE civil exam that would make one a PE in every state other than Cali--in April 06. Anyway, here is my 2 cents:

Do as many problems as you can, from as many different types of books that you can. The key is problem exposure. You will know that your studying has been productive when it becomes increasingly difficult to find a problem type that you HAVEN'T seen.

References: to me it's better to have too many references than not enough. After all, you don't have to use all of them. But KNOW them. KNOW the strengths of each of your references. KNOW how to use them. There were books that I took out only once and was able to find a simple answer. But the key was, after reading the question, I knew exactly which publications would give me the information that I needed, and, which ones not to bother to touch on this particular question.

Understand how to use the percentage breakdown of the exam in your favor. For example, if your depth is structural, then spending too much time studying environmental would be counter-productive. Don't mis-understand me, study everything. But study in harmony with the percentage breakdown. For example, it would be foolish to spend half of your study time on environmental if your depth was structural. Since envir. only makes up 10% of the overall exam. Study with the percentages.

Finally, the key is passing. I went in to the exam knowing that I would either choose Structural or Geotech. I fingered through both. I determined that for me, on that day, Geotech would be the quicker of the two. I knew I could finish Geotech within the allotted time. After taking the exam, I knew I had passed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember how I scoured the old posts looking for advice before the exam, so I think it's important to add my '.02'

In August I made a deal with my husband -- if he put the kids to bed every night until the exam so I could get a couple hours in studying, then he could spend each weekend of hunting season up at camp. :beerchug

That was key, I couldn't have done it without his help.

I studied areas according to what percentage I expected to see questions on the exam. I took WR in the afternoon so I spent about 60% of my time studying WR, 15% environmental, and 10% geotechnical. I spent only a couple days looking at structural and transportation. I know I missed a couple of those questions, but obviously I got enough of the others.

I did problems -- lots and lots of problems -- but I would spend as much time as I needed on each problem. If I didn't know the answer I would read the chapters in CERM and textbooks until I could answer the problem. And then I would look at the solution and study that.

I used the "the other board" sample exam to do problems. It took me a whole week to finish the sample exam. I was really nervous that I wouldn't have nearly enough time to finish, but the real exam was MUCH easier than that exam.

At the exam I used the CERM a lot, but I used textbooks a lot too. I had Metcalf and Eddy, which I would highly recommend. I also had a basic hydrology book, a geotechnical book and a structural book. For some inexplicable reason I forgot my hydraulics books, which would have helped on a couple questions.

UNITS!!! There were a surprising number of problems that just came down to units conversions. I just used the conversion tables at the front of CERM, but it's good to be familiar with them.

Good Luck!

For mechanical PE I studies the following:

1) MERM -- extensive studying and problem solving.

2) Machine Component Design by Juvinall -- Extensive studying in areas of application.

3) Mechanical Design by Shigley -- Basic review and general reference book.

The main reason I passed the exam was due to my extensive knowledge of MERM. I recommend a very good review of the primary areas. Work the majority of the practice & end of chapter problems (don't forget to buy the solutions manual). GOOD LUCK. :+1:

Forgot to mention that I actually read though all of the primary sections of the MERM too. I didn't just work the problems.

See my full post under the electrical forum if you want to see my complete perspective of the exam. Below are my recommendations on how I think people should approach the EL PE.

Good Luck

Keys to my success

1. NCEES Sample Exam (both FE and PE)

2. Being really organized (tabs and matrix) http://www.s8inc.com/pe.xls

3. Economic and Code Questions

4. Becoming really familiar with the EERM

Here are the sources that I took into the exam. They are numbered based on how beneficial they were to me during my exam.

1. "the other board" Electrical Reference Manual (highly recommend)

2. NCEES PE Sample Exam (highly recommend)

3. NCEES FE Sample Exam (highly recommend)

4. NEC 2005 Code (highly recommend)

5. FE Supplied-Reference Handbook (recommend)

6. "the other board" Sample Exam (recommend)

7. "the other board" Practice Problems (recommend)

8. Schaum's Outline of Electric Machines & Electromechanics (recommend for preparation, did not use in exam)

9. Distribution notes from College ? 3 ring binder (good source, but did not use on exam)

10. Passing Zone Weekly questions ? 3 ring binder (okay)

11. Power System Analysis by John J. Grainger (bad)

It is difficult to tell someone what to study and how to pass, but here is what I would do at a minimum.

1. Acquire the following sources

2."the other board" Electrical Reference Manual (highly recommend)

3. NCEES PE Sample Exam (highly recommend)

4. NCEES FE Sample Exam (highly recommend)

5. NEC 2004 Code (highly recommend)

6. "the other board" Sample Exam (recommend)

7. "the other board" Practice Problems (recommend)

2. Develop a matrix or some method to organize your reference material, information, and solved problems. This was extremely helpful during the exam to reference. It had to stay in a 3-ring binder, but it saved be a great amount of time. See an example of mine at http://www.s8inc.com/pe.xls

3. Study a little each night for several months (3 to 5) based on your own evaluation of your knowledge. I keep hearing that 300 hours is the average number of hours to study and pass the exam.

4. Work as many problems as possible, and focus on the NCEES sample problems and the way NCEES works/approaches each of their problems.

Good Luck :D

Back