Valentine's Grinch

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
My wife absolutely loves Valentines Day. Maybe more so than Christmas. She puts all kinds of effort into making the entire week cool for everybody. She sends me love notes, send our boys special things in their lunch, decorates the house for supper on Vday and goes crazy helping the boys make valentines boxes for school. That is all awesome. The problem is, I hate Valentines Day. She is a Who and I am the grinch of Vday. On top of all the other special days (xmas, bday, moms day, etc) and what I have going on at work, there is yet another day that I have to figure out something special to get/do. Its not that she isn't worth it and, yes, I'm sure its because I'm a guy and just lazy, but I'm suppose to come up with a new, fresh, unique way to show how much I love my wonderfully gifted, cheerful, helpful, loving wife and I come up with something lame every year. I've done flowers a number of times, chocolate strawberries, pajamagram, lingerie, I even wrote a poem one year that I think is still stuck to the side of the fridge. After 15 yrs, I am completely out of ideas for this Saturday.

Without getting too dirty, what are you guys doing and what do you gals like to get?

I'm with you.

My wife's birthday is November and our anniversary is April. So add in Christmas and Valentine's Day; I have to pull four rabbits of my hat in five months.

Do I have to get flowers for my wife and daughter? Or, can I get away with getting flowers for no one?

Isn't 3/14 national "I have a headache day?"

we don't participate in this holiday. one of the few times I am glad my wife doesn't expect something on this BS holiday. Per our wedding vows she has to submit to my wishes anyways so no chocolate or flowers is necessary..

We don't make a big deal out of this holiday either. No advice to give. But I love getting spa gift certificates. Maybe get a certificate for a couples massage.

I haven't yet convinced my girlfriend that 3/14 is real, so this year I plan on cooking us steak for V-day and see what happens afterwards...

I haven't yet convinced my girlfriend that 3/14 is real, so this year I plan on cooking us steak for V-day and see what happens afterwards...

ummm, have you talked to her about that? I don't think she know's your having steak considering she's currently brainstorming and asking for opinions on what to cook...lol

When we were dating my wife and I had the agreement that we would not participate in this hallmark holiday. After being married a few years she's slowly transitioned into the, "Well it would be nice for you to get me..." camp. The holiday period goes something like this in my family: Christmas --> Wife's Birthday (Jan) --> Valentine's day --> Anniversary (less than 2 weeks after Valentine's) so I would take the five months in a heart beat.

ummm, have you talked to her about that? I don't think she know's your having steak considering she's currently brainstorming and asking for opinions on what to cook...lol

No, she doesn't know this yet, it's a surprise. Unless she comes up with a better idea in the interim.

I just bought $3k worth of living room furniture yesterday. If she thinks she's getting anything else but a bouqet of grocery store flowers, she's out of her f*cking mind.

Back