**** united airlines at it again!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been on UA only one time before.

Last year we went to Taiwan were were on one of those god forsaken UA 747's with the communal movies. The movies sucked and the wifi streaming didn't work. I just kept telling myself that it was a cheap ticket. (And it was.)

This summer we will be using them again (cheap ticket) and will be flying on the 777. Each seat will have the standard touch screen entertainment so it should go ok.

In international coach, you'll get a hot meal and free beer/ wine. UA's beer sucks so I would need to recommend the wine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year we went to Taiwan were were on one of those god forsaken UA 747's with the communal movies. The movies sucked and the wifi streaming didn't work. I just kept telling myself that it was a cheap ticket. (And it was.)
#BYOMobileMediaDeviceFail 

:p

I don't mind the BYO device policy for streaming so long as the wifi actually works.

The Flyer family encountered the same BYO device system on a flight from Germany to Chicago.  We had the following 2 problems:

1.  No power available at the seats.  All the little kids that had spent the last few hours killing their iPad batteries had no way to charge them.

2.  The wifi system crashed about 10 minutes into the 8hr flight. 

It was an aircraft full of very unhappy people. 

I don't mind the BYO device policy for streaming so long as the wifi actually works.
No need for wifi if you store the media on local memory. :thumbs:

The Flyer family encountered the same BYO device system on a flight from Germany to Chicago.  We had the following 2 problems:

1.  No power available at the seats.  All the little kids that had spent the last few hours killing their iPad batteries had no way to charge them.

1. #BYOPowerBankFail (should be rated at least 15000 mAH)

2. See above. :thumbs:

1. #BYOPowerBankFail (should be rated at least 15000 mAH)

2. See above. :thumbs:
For the record,  the Flyer family had back-up power for all devices and downloaded content so we were ok.  There was lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth around us though. 

KF, then you're also at the mercy of your device's storage capacity. Not everyone carries a 1TB external harddrive in their back pocket.  :p

This is one thing that I can't stand about Android. I got both of my kids tablets and set them up a restricted account so that they wouldn't be able to download whatever they want, but for some ridiculous reason you can't access files stored on the sd card from those accounts. So now I'm limited to about 8 gigs of storage for their apps and any media I want to download for them to watch which is pathetic. There's got to be an easier way to handle this.

Prob not allowed on board either  
0c0c8f4d0fa784f41fadd09b154b63f2_raw.jpeg

american airlines quietly rolled out that basic economy too, after a limited test market.   Some people didn't read the fine print on the ticket info, then got a wicked shock at the airport when they couldn't have a carry on.  No preassigned seating either with the basic on AA, so you are the last to board.  Probably the first to get bumped for over sold flights too.   

american airlines quietly rolled out that basic economy too, after a limited test market.   Some people didn't read the fine print on the ticket info, then got a wicked shock at the airport when they couldn't have a carry on.  No preassigned seating either with the basic on AA, so you are the last to board.  Probably the first to get bumped for over sold flights too.   
True, but it's the lack of services that results in the low fare.  Why is it that some people find that concept so difficult to understand?  My wife recently bought a UA basic economy ticket.  She packed a small roller and risked it.  They didn't say anything and the flight went well.

I think it's fixed it now (I forget whether it was iTunes or Netflix), but I got burned a couple of times downloading content to local memory but needed a wifi connection to start watching.  I learned to initialize it just before getting on board so I could then 'resume" watching but it was a PITA.

This is one thing that I can't stand about Android. I got both of my kids tablets and set them up a restricted account so that they wouldn't be able to download whatever they want, but for some ridiculous reason you can't access files stored on the sd card from those accounts. So now I'm limited to about 8 gigs of storage for their apps and any media I want to download for them to watch which is pathetic. There's got to be an easier way to handle this.
Surely you must be joking. That's one of the BEST things about Android. Apple renames files and sticks them in some strange directory structure before you can access them. And even then, the media can only be played on stupid i-Tunes. Something must be wonky with your file structure and/or the app(s) you are using to access the data. I have full directory access on all my Android devices including my GS6 curved, Nexus 7, and Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Unless you are trying to access DLNA and/or copyrighted material and there is some sort of protection instated. Then that might be a different issue entirely.

Send me the specs and what you are trying to do and perhaps we can rectify the issue. :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's fixed it now (I forget whether it was iTunes or Netflix), but I got burned a couple of times downloading content to local memory but needed a wifi connection to start watching.  I learned to initialize it just before getting on board so I could then 'resume" watching but it was a PITA.
THat is annoying...especially with the kiddos on road trips.  It is downloaded to their device but requires an internet connection to start it.  

I don't care why you need an emotional support animal, they need to follow the same process as those with official support animals like seeing eye dogs, etc.  There is a process, follow it or drive.  Allowing cats or other furry or feathered animals on a flight that recirculates air is already a PITA for those with allergies.    

THat is annoying...especially with the kiddos on road trips.  It is downloaded to their device but requires an internet connection to start it.  
And hence those programs get deleted from my devices. :thumbs:

although I don't like the "cattle" system - we fly southwest 99% of the time, you do get essentially free tv / movies with your own device. not always exactly what you want to watch but it passes the time pretty well.

Back