Damn united airlines at it again!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the basic level, yes you're still walking down a dirt trail surrounded by trees. But having done some of the hikes here in NZ, I can say the experience is different. Really neat seeing the differences though. I'd recommend doing at least one, but I'd also be more likely to be hanging out at the pool/beach.

Can sit by the pool in my neighborhood!

But whenever we talk about HI (since SW is flying there) she always mentions hiking and I'm just like... ughhh not on my list of things to do there

My priorities would be:

Pool bar
Surfing lesson
Diving
Drinking
Jeep rental / drive

Maybe one half day of hiking
I spent an afternoon there body surfing.  That was fun.    I did get to hike one of the days on Kauai.  it was weird looking down at rainbows.  

Can sit by the pool in my neighborhood!

But whenever we talk about HI (since SW is flying there) she always mentions hiking and I'm just like... ughhh not on my list of things to do there

My priorities would be:

Pool bar
Surfing lesson
Diving
Drinking
Jeep rental / drive

Maybe one half day of hiking
I saw this as someone who absolutely loves Hawaii, but if your top things are pool bars, diving, and drinking then Hawaii would be an expensive vacation. You'd get a lot more for your money going to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico or the Caribbean. Hiking is one thing I would absolutely recommend in Hawaii and like Dex and leggo said, it's going to be completely different than the hikes you are used to doing. 

We loved our time in Hawaii.  We're not beach people though and I agree with Ble that if your goal is to dive/beach/drink you can probably do that much cheaper elsewhere.  Everything in Hawaii is expensive, especially food and lodging.

But there are some phenomenal sights and, yes, hiking.  Hiking lush tropical rainforests and open lava fields is a whole different world than alpine hiking in Colorado.  A couple of the more memorable hikes we did were through a bamboo forest in Haleakala on Maui, and up one of the volcano cones in Volcanoes National Park at dusk as a storm moved in.  And one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life is fly over the active lava flow at Pu'u O'o.

Yeah I'm sure it's really good - we've just done so many hiking /backpacking vacations the last 5 years I'm just a little over it. We backcountry backpacked in Yellowstone and the Tetons - was amazing but just not looking for that to be the sole purpose of the trip.

We were originally going to go to Belize and dive the blue hole - that's been on my list for a while.

Our dive friends have told us the diving in HI is mostly reef dives and those all look alike after a while- there is just something about descending to the 100' level on a wreck that makes reef diving not as "cool" after you've done a couple hundred of them...

maybe save hawaii for next year and do florida this year? I feel like service to hawaii won't start until late this year, and who knows when they'll open up ticket sales etc. 

I got the companion pass by signing up for 2 ccs with 60k bonuses each (i've just recently started learning how to maximize cc points for more travel since that's what's most important to me - experiences) 

I saw this as someone who absolutely loves Hawaii, but if your top things are pool bars, diving, and drinking then Hawaii would be an expensive vacation. You'd get a lot more for your money going to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico or the Caribbean. Hiking is one thing I would absolutely recommend in Hawaii and like Dex and leggo said, it's going to be completely different than the hikes you are used to doing. 
I was thinking the same thing.  I'll bet if you looked you could find excursions to check off the other two things on your list too.  Several years ago went to Jamaica and it was a fun trip.  Plenty of food and drinking at the resort and you don't have to worry about paying for any of it.  I'm not sure that I would call it a "hike", but we also did the trip up Dunns River Falls when we were there and that was pretty neat too.

And one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life is fly over the active lava flow at Pu'u O'o.
@Flyer_PE, how much would the fuel be to make this happen? :dunno:
If we're launching out of Chicago, more than anything I've ever flown can carry.
default_biggrin.png

I'm smelling a lawsuit generating kid here.

We flew (well the wife and kids) with our cat from ATL to DEN, had to pay a fee and keep it in its crate under the seat. I don't know the laws about pets from the rodent family though.. But Spirit will pretty much let you do anything on a flight if you pay their fee's so I am sure they could have worked something out..

I also suspect Pebbles wasn't flushed, whole thing has to be a stunt.  I'd be checking local pet shops outside airport to see about a recent purchase just before the flight..

and...

Jesus H Christ....

There's a person in the Denver area with a miniature horse as a support animal. 

And there is no way in hell I'm getting on a flight with a peacock or tarantula. Plus, did you guys read that dog bite story? The guy had a 50-lb lab on his lap that bit the guy next to him's face. What the hell? 

Here's the problem, the whole country has become so worried about being PC that people think they can do whatever they want and then cry "discrimination" if anyone challenges them.  By all rights, calling your dog/hamster/peacock/spider an "emotional support pet" should get you two things, jack and shit.  God forbid people be required to provide documentation that their animal is truly a service animal (even an "emotional support animal" has to be prescribed by licensed therapist) because then we would be infringing on their rights.  Five second Google search to find "an Emotional Support Dog does not require specialized training", but we're supposed to let them on planes?  If that's the case, then it should be mandatory that people with so-called emotional support animals carry insurance for when their dog bites some guy in the face in the next seat.  Took another five seconds to fid out that, at the time of this posting, there are exactly 43,118 listings for service dog vests on eBay.

03fe3375-7593-4bc3-9410-4fb3647d8d45.png

I still get pissed when I see people with a (non service) dog in home depot. Not sure why people feel the need to do that. Wish the stores would get some balls back and call BS on that.

People have gotten carried away with this shit, I have even seen dogs in the grocery store. Its just F'n rude IMO.

Back