UNION STRIKE KILLS THE TWINKIE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^that sounds about right...thinking only about themselves instead of the whole. the 6600 ruined it for the 18500

I smell a conspiracy. Had this happened before the election, it may have influenced voters against the unions and swayed the outcome. Just a coincidence that this and the Petraeus thing happen immediately following the election. Were the Bilderbergs meeting too?

tin_foil_hat.gif

I would like to offer my congrats to the Unions for taking down another American company.

It's days like this where I thank my lucky stars that I live in a Right to Work State.

Id be curious to know what a guy makes that squirts custard filling into a fried pastry??

urghh maybe not...

I would like to offer my congrats to the Unions for taking down another American company.

It's days like this where I thank my lucky stars that I live in a Right to Work State.
What he said. The rest of the employees agreed to the conditions (pay cut, decreased benefits), but the bakers said no. Seriously, what was so horrible about a pay cut? Last raise here was in 2008 and we've had our healthcare go up every year, with no corresponding match. It's not like they were striking against unsafe working conditions. If I was part of the other group, I'd show them exactly how a twinkie gets filled.

Oh, and I've seen a moldy twinkie.

^ and if you are unsatisfied with those T&C's, you are free to leave and make a change. For me personally, I would not tolerate a pay cut and/or lack of annual raise.

Sno balls

Seriously though, somebody like Frito Lay or Coca Cola will have the rights and patents by the end of next week.

I have no doubt that most of those products will be absorbed by one of their competitors.

^ and if you are unsatisfied with those T&C's, you are free to leave and make a change. For me personally, I would not tolerate a pay cut and/or lack of annual raise.
I tolerate having a job that provides very well for my family. A raise would be nice, but it's not an end all. It definitely isn't worth putting that many people out of jobs.

I tolerate having a job that provides very well for my family. A raise would be nice, but it's not an end all. It definitely isn't worth putting that many people out of jobs.
Agreed. But as you mentioned, living costs and health care are always on the rise. To keep up with that, annual raises are a must in my opinion. The engineering market is very competitive yet selective right now. I know for a fact in my region if Company A "claims" they can't afford annual raises, Company B would be more than happy to do this for the right person and the right qualifications. This may not be the case for more rural areas and you may need to take what you can get. I can appreciate that.

We were just discussing the Hostess story here at work and we had to wonder two things:

1. How much DOES a baker from Hostess make?

2. If you were hiring a baker and saw they last worked at Hostess, would that temper your view?

We were just discussing the Hostess story here at work and we had to wonder two things:

1. How much DOES a baker from Hostess make?

2. If you were hiring a baker and saw they last worked at Hostess, would that temper your view?
1. don't know but one of the comment in one of the articles referenced a dough stirrer making about $11/hr and stating that he was better off on unemployment than taking a pay cut.

2. only until I asked how they thought the strike played out for them. Their answer would drive my judgment on character. My skeptism would not limit them from getting in the door to display their character. Unions vote on majority and their story should have the opportunity to be heard.

They had a choice of pay cuts and keep a job and they chose having no job as the best possible outcome.

There's nothing wrong with many union employees; some are the greatest ever and only want to make the most amount of money they can (I don't blame them; I would too) and being in a union provides that. There are others who get eaten up with the union propaganda and ruin it for their brothers and sisters.

I predict Twinkies will be back on the shelves in short order made with non-union hands.

Back