Traffic Engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chess5329

Reaction score
The CA Board has an Exam for Traffic Engineering...........Does anyone knows what are the requirements to take this test....and also a good preparation course for this...?

Thanks in advance for your input....!!!

Is this a serious question? I dont mean to sound flippant but traffic is typically included in the Transportation engineering exam. The CA board http://www.pels.ca.g...appinstpe.shtml links to the general NCEES exam website here http://www.ncees.org/Exams/PE_exam.php

Unless I am missing something.
brad,

He's talking about the Traffic Engineering (TE) exam offered here in CA. "Bob B. Jones, PE, TE" It's not a very common exam. I think one other state offers it (Oregon?). I believe they have even talked about eliminating this exam. As far as I know, the only reason to obtain a TE is to become a City Traffic Engineer. Otherwise, a PE has all the same authorities. It's a state exam offered once a year.

Ptatohed, thanks for your response to Brad.....!

But are you serious.....the Board is thinking to eliminate this License...?

Ptatohed, thanks for your response to Brad.....!

But are you serious.....the Board is thinking to eliminate this License...?
This is just rumor chess - nothing official. I work for a city and we have a Transpo Division. Only one guy has his TE (the City Traffic Engineer). I have heard from several of the other Transpo guys that the TE exam may be discontinued. Just curious, why are you interested?

Check out the Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) exam offered by ITE.
Thanks Boomer. http://www.tpcb.org/...equirements.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Ptatohed, I was thinking to add the TE after the PE initials (as you previous mentioned).......but now I have to dig more on this....Thanks for your 2 cents.

Or maybe it'll be better to go after other initials as LS, GE.....

However, thanks to all for your comments!!!!!

Regards,

There is no discussion by the Board at this time to eliminate the TE exam in California

Last edited by a moderator:
Ptatohed, I was thinking to add the TE after the PE initials (as you previous mentioned).......but now I have to dig more on this....Thanks for your 2 cents.

Or maybe it'll be better to go after other initials as LS, GE.....

However, thanks to all for your comments!!!!!

Regards,
chess, I see. Yeah, it could only help you, right? Even if you never become a City Traffic Engineer, it would still be something to be proud of. If you have the experience to apply/sit for the exam, then why not? I think you need like 48 months traffic experience though. You mentioned PLS - I would love to get my PLS one day - I just don't know when/if I'll have the opportunity to get the 1 year field/1 year office experience I need. We don't have a survey crew where I work. Good luck.

Back