Total Studying Time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the average study time is between 150 to 300 hours. If you studied "20 hours" and passed then you are either 1. A genius 2. figured out a way to cheat or 3. A liar.
From what I've read on these boards and conversations with other people, the vast majority of people put in a lot of time and work a lot of practice problems. I believe everyone is different, however, and what works for one person will not work for another. One sure thing about the test is that you can't just go in there and "wing it", either you know the material or you won't pass.

When I was in school (Auburn c/o '02) I'd heard the FE was harder than the PE. I am hear to say that the people who told me that were wrong and also ignorant. The PE is a much harder test to take, and to study for. I studied for the FE for about 2 weeks and when I left the exam I was 99% sure I'd passed it. When I left the PE exam I had two distinct feelings: 1. I had NO idea whether I'd passed or not 2. I needed a beer. :)
Those who do design problems all day long may find that the PE is easier than the FE. Still, I disagree as well. The FE has a lot more problems, but they are "one-liners". If you take it out of school, you should have no problem. But even if you are designing beams all day - you may have an advantage on structures, but that won't help you in geotech, water, etc. So the PE is way more difficult in my opinion. That is why so many EIT's are out there and far fewer PEs.

I didn't keep track, but based on my study schedule, I studied somewhere around 300 hours. EE power, passed the first try.
I got some grief from some people about how much I was studying for the exam. The main comment I got was, "Aren't they just testing on the same stuff you do every day at work?." That really drove me crazy. It is always hard to relate how broad the exam is compared to how specialized most engineer's jobs are today. Imagine the reaction one would get if they asked someone sitting for the BAR exam the same thing.

I'd heard the FE was harder than the PE. I am hear to say that the people who told me that were wrong and also ignorant.
I think the only person who would think the FE is easier is the person who took it several years after leaving school. If you take it spring semester, senior year, I don't think the exam should be a problem (At least for civil.) I didn't study for the FE and did well; I think my school (Texas) had like a 85% pass rate on the FE.

On the PE, I studied less than 50 hours but I think I have a better than average grasp of the codes because I use all of them regularly (except for AASHTO, which I never saw until the exam) I still left the exam not knowing if I passed or not, and ended up getting by with a 74 -

I saw 4 others I got my BS with at the exam site and they all passed too. Maybe the rest of you just go to lousy schools...

:joke:

Looks like the average study time is between 150 to 300 hours. If you studied "20 hours" and passed then you are either 1. A genius 2. figured out a way to cheat or 3. A liar.
bsflag.gif

It doesn't take a genius to be a good test taker. I believe 20 hour passers but they aren't geniuses (or is that genii?)

I didn't start prepping until 10 days before the exam (busy work schedule). I took some sample questions and bombed them. Freaked out and got in maybe 35 hours of studying in over 9 days, including my personal tabbed notes.

I Passed. Standard tests are something that always just came easy for me. I finished both sessions with an hour or more left.

My goal was to put 250 solid hours in but I think I ended up with much less than that - probably about 150 total. Probably around 40 hours from a review course (which I don't think helped all that much) and over 100 hours on my own. I passed, finally! The first time I took the test I maybe studied 60 or 70 hours and failed.

Started in July for Oct. exam. Spent approx. 120 hrs studying. Mostly studying MERM and doing the sample and chapter problems. Toward the end I started w/ six minute problems and the NCEES sample exam. I was thoroughly burned out after about 13 weeks and reduced studying time to weekends only.

Fortunately I passed! 1st attempt, Mechanical, Machine Design.

Approximately 50hrs not solid studying. Graduated in 2003 so I had 4yrs experience in the field of engineering.

Passed first time around.

Studied for four months - about 12 hours during the week and 16 hours on the weekends, so that would be about 500 hours. Followed the "the other board" CERM schedule they give you when you buy a product.

Of the study time I'm counting, I put in about 32 hours getting all my references together, so it'd be more like 465 hours for studying and 35 hours of administrative work.

I went way overboard on preparation, but I went in with the attitude that I was only going to take the exam once, period.

I'm single, with not much of a social life, so that helped.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for people with families, especially children - you guys blow me away - spending time with kids, studying, and working - don't know how you do it.

Dennis

bsflag.gif

It doesn't take a genius to be a good test taker. I believe 20 hour passers but they aren't geniuses (or is that genii?)
I was thinking about you when that stated. I totally believe that you can pass with 20 hours of study (like you did). And like you said, it is all a matter of how well you take tests and your confidence level. Not doing any actual design-type work, I decided early on that I would have more hours to be comfortable and confident.

When I took the FE, I studied for maybe 2-3 hours and passed it, but I was a lot closer to the work (I was still in school), so I felt tons more confident for that exam.

Passed Civil, Water on the first try. I studied about 200 hours. I probably over-prepared, but I wanted to take the Construction depth, and I found out only AFTER sending in my application to FL that it wasn't going to be available until April. So I studied my butt off on water.... I am a good standardized test taker, but construction is really my field. I was trying to decide if I should take traffic or water.

3rd time was the charm for me.

1st time - i probably studied a month - just lost a job, brought a newbord home from the hospital, incorporated a business, and was working 60 hours a week.

2nd time - i probably studied a week - was working 80 hours a week (it seemed), no rest for the weary.

3rd time - i was at current job for about 2 years, was comfortable with daily schedule - so 2 months i studied from 5:00 pm till 12:00 m-f, all day saturday - every saturday, and every sunday afternoon {{I have the lower back pain to prove it}}. and i PASSED!!

Bottom line - you need to study in order to pass the thing. life has to be temporarily put on hold, and you've got to focus and get your books in order so you can quickly find things. 6 minutes goes by extremely fast in that kind of pressure.

Just my $0.02

I studied a lot because I really did not want to take the thing again. That said, I'm sure it was too much, but I'm not sure far overboard it was. I didn't keep accurate track, so I'll assume it was 200 hours. All I know is that 200 hours was more than I needed. For all I know I could have stopped at 20 and still passed. But, I doubt it. At least for me.

Another thing was that I took a class. Now, the class was about 40 hours. Out of that time about 90% was useless review. But out of that time maybe an hour was spent learning specific tricks and information that I'm sure helped me get 5 or more questions right. I would never have found those tricks on my own, so the class was worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grand total was 200-250 hours for me which included collecting references and all that administrative stuff. I passed the first time, but I think I probably could have done it with less studying--maybe 150 hrs total.

For those of you who studied for a couple days and passed it, hats off. There is no way in hell I would have been able to do that.

I probably put in about 250 hours of studying... maybe a few more if you count the review class. I didn't find the review that useful, but who knows, it may have helped. I took Civil-Structural PM in October and passed first try.

spent approx 200-250 hours studying, passed first try (mechanical). I was very over prepared, and left both morning and afternoon sections early (some extra lunch time and being the first to the closest bar was worth all the extra study time.) Upon leaving the test I was certain that I passed, but that does not make waiting for results any easier!

I had to wait to see my results before I could say anything but looking at this thread smashed my confidence in passing the exam. I studied for sure less than 100 hours, more like 80. That time includes a waste of time review class. I did and re-did until I could understand all of the sample problems I could get my hands on (I think I had three books with practice problems). I felt confident during the test and I guess my feelings were correct. Congratulations to those who put in 200 to 500 hours and passed but I am just providing a different viewpoint, it seems like every person either studied crazy amounts and passed or studied next to nothing and failed.

About 50 or so total hours (15 which were a review course). I am a single father, and work has sucked (been good) so i've been busy.

I started 3.5 months out with the intent of studying 200 hours...but didn't come close...but i do think that the starting plenty early and spreading 2-3 hours a week paid off....I passed.

In my opinion, it is more important to understand fundamentals, how to use your references, and apply thinking to the questions and exams...everything is simple math, so knowing how to think and retention (to some degree) :brickwall: was my goal.

Back