Total Studying Time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I studied for the PE for about 300 hrs. Passed.

I studied for the SE1 and SE2 for about 300 hrs. Passed SE2, Failed SE1.

I studied for the SE1 about 300 hours. Passed/Failed????? Don't know yet.

If I pass the SE1, it was worth it!

I took the Test Masters course. It was about 8 hours per every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday four weeks prior to the exam. I also put in an hour or two a few nights during the week. So I'll say around 150 hours for me. I passed, first try, Electrical.

how much studying time did everyone put in? i put in roughly 280 hours total and passed the civil transportation PE. that time included about 35 hours of the refresher course. it was mostly spent doing problems - all i could find actually.
I figure i put in about 200 hours total study time. I took (and passed) the Oct. 07 (CE/Wat. Res) test and started going over "the basics" in July. I started regular studying by mid-August. I just tried to keep a schedule and tried not to have any large gaps in between study sessions. October I studied every day until 2 days before. I studied every weekend in October for 8 to 10 hours a day. It was NOT fun and I missed a lot of football games.

I didn't take any prep courses and I didn't have anyone to study with, but both would have helped I'm sure.

Last edited:
I took the Testmasters course (about 70 hours) in March/April 2007 and then studied about 20 hours after that. I passed Civil (WR) in April 2007. I credit my success on the fish I ate the night before.

I studied maybe 50 hours for the FE and I studied 350 to 400 hours for the Chemical PE. The majority of my study time for the PE involved working as many of the practice problems that I could while developing and organizing my notebook based on them. I passed both the FE and the PE on the first try.

Keith

Since this was my second time studying, I focused on the afternoon portion of the test (HVAC). The Six Minute Solutions helped tremendously and I worked all the problems on the practice exams. I probably studied 200 hours for the second test. Also, I studied differently this time. I didn't read any of the chapters in the MERM, I only worked problems and as many problems as I could find. Organization of reference material is the key to solving problems quickly!

I gained enough experience in June 2007 (4 yrs) to apply for a PE license in TX. Got my acceptance to take the test in August, leaving about 8 weeks to study. I would estimate I had about 150 hours for studying and doing practice problems from "the other board" and NCEES. It was a challenge because I also had a 4 month old to tend to.

I felt resonably prepared for the test in Ocotber, but also felt like I could have prepared more. I was also prepared to have to take the test again in April, so I was planning on starting up the studying again this week , but I thankfully I passed the ME/Thermo the first time. Like IlPadrino, I also had fish the night before the test, and great things happend. My particular fish was Russian River sockeye salmon from Alaska that my uncle caught in summer 2007.

Texas Aggie '02

First time I took the exam - approx. 8 hours. = Failed

Second time I took the exam - approx. 16 hours = Passed

SE 1

The suggested 300 some hours seems like a bit much.

5 hrs 1st time - Failed20hrs this time - ???

****, I thought I had put in alot of time. 400 hrs? Are you guys serious?
20 Hours? If you pass after studying only 20 hours, I will shoot myself! I studied 200+ hours for the April 07 exam and failed!

I didn't keep a log, but guess that I put in about 200 - 250 hours and passed the Oct '07 Civil/Transportation on the first try. It sounds like my study time was very similar to JunkerJorg's above starting general overview and reading in July and basically studying most non-work hours in October. I felt I was way over prepared, but at least I felt like I nailed the test when I walked out and don't have to take it again. My main advice is to know your references for the Transpo afternoon portion and work problems.

I felt I was way over prepared, but at least I felt like I nailed the test when I walked out and don't have to take it again.
I took a practice test the week before the real deal and bombed it. That was a real slap in the face, but at that point all I could really do was review some of the areas I struggled with on the practice test and organize my references. I really didn't have a good feeling going into the exam, but I walked out feeling like it was actually fairly easy. Of course over the past 3 months I have been constantly second guessing myself.

I think the amount of study time you put in is really depended on your situation, there is no magic number that if you do X hours studying you will pass. My advice would be to give yourself at least enough time to review all the references you want to take, and then work as many problems as you can until you feel comfortable with the material.

My goal was not to have to take the test more then once, so I wasn't worried about putting in a few extra hours of studying here or there.

Vish said:
I would say that don't go on the numbers presented here. It's different for every individual.
Greater study hours doesn't guarantee you will pass. It's how much smart study you have done. If there was a number of study hours required to pass then we won't see this many examinees being unsuccessful.

The hours that really count are the hours that you spent preparing yourself "according to the test". I took School of PE course (70 hours) and invested another 30 hours (max.) or so for my preparation. This includes collecting the references and organizing everything. Of course, my aquaintance with AASHTO, MUTCD and other references helped me as I have been using them regularly at work. But I would say that the prep course was VERY VERY helpful and I recommend the prep course (Testmasters of S of PE) to all who can afford to spend that much time and money. It was a good investment now when i look back. The course alone won't get you to pass, but it will teach you a lot and basically consolidate your study material.. Plus, unintentianally I was prepared to sit for long hours on a chair and table environment while working problems in the prep class.. this helped me counter stress and fatigue during the test. i would say that during the test, physically and mentally i wasn't tired as much as i had expected or i was during my FE test..

I passed CE/Transp. first attempt - October 07. I had CERM and prep course binders (I had split the huge binder in to 3) on my table all the time.

Hope that helps.

-V.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to say I have probably 300+ hours in prep between review classes, tabbing references, and practice problems. Was very dilligent the last month before the test working practice problems about 2 hours a night after work. Hope the time was well spent. Still waiting on the results :waitwall: :mail-296:

About 100-120 hours, 100 of it being working practice problems from the NCEES practice problems, 6 minute solutions, and the Lindeburg sample exam. The last few hours were spent copying someone's tabs/highlighting, adding/making my own tabs/highlights during and after studying, and packing and repacking my boxes after the practice exam. i did the same thing and snuck in studying when i could, and stuck to a schedule. 4 hours on sunday, 2 on monday, 2 on tuesday, 2 on wednesday, 2 on thursday, off friday and saturday. it worked pretty well. i studied for about 2 months straight starting in mid/late august for the october exam. good luck! i took and passed the WR Civil PE.

please delete this.. browser error.

please delete this.. browser error

Depending on how you familiar with your stuff. When I took the civil exam, I spent 300-400 hrs.

Last April I took the Str I exam I spent less than 100 hours.

For the Str II exam last October, as I pick the bridge part, I only took three days to review the AASHTO.

Still waiting for result though.

I didn't keep track, but based on my study schedule, I studied somewhere around 300 hours. EE power, passed the first try.

Looks like the average study time is between 150 to 300 hours. If you studied "20 hours" and passed then you are either 1. A genius 2. figured out a way to cheat or 3. A liar.

From what I've read on these boards and conversations with other people, the vast majority of people put in a lot of time and work a lot of practice problems. I believe everyone is different, however, and what works for one person will not work for another. One sure thing about the test is that you can't just go in there and "wing it", either you know the material or you won't pass.

When I was in school (Auburn c/o '02) I'd heard the FE was harder than the PE. I am hear to say that the people who told me that were wrong and also ignorant. The PE is a much harder test to take, and to study for. I studied for the FE for about 2 weeks and when I left the exam I was 99% sure I'd passed it. When I left the PE exam I had two distinct feelings: 1. I had NO idea whether I'd passed or not 2. I needed a beer. :)

Back