To quit or not to quit?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with folks here. Do not quit. Put in some extra effort by getting up early in the morning and devoting your weekends. The best advice I would have to you is to do the problems again and again till you have better understanding because most of the problems are pretty much the same provided you understand them. Its like pracitse makes your perfect. When I took my FE, I basically did the same problems over and over till I got tired of them. May be you need to develop a strategy on weak areas. I would start working on weak areas and then go onto working areas you are really comfortable with. You might end up spending more time on the weak areas but do not panic because that's what you are trying to do, closing out the gap on subjects you are not good at. I am not sure if you are taking any review course, but if you have issues concentrating and understanding, I would advise you to go for review course. I wish you the best. Good Luck.

OK, you can do this! DO NOT quit your day job. You need the money and you have to live. Besides, you cannot study 8 hours a day for 6 months and pass the test. Let's develop a gameplan.

A. Review the diagnostic and see where the weak areas are. These are areas where you will need to put extra attention to.

B. Plan on studying about 2.5 hours a nite, after work and 8 hours on the weekend-- 4 hours on Saturday/4 hours on Sunday.

C. Take a structured review course. There are lots of ideas here-- Mr. Dickmeyer answered a question above, he has a web site that is quite intriguing to me-- and it is free!

D. See if there is a college around that offers the review course-- if so, see if you can get in and "audit" the course.

You graduated with your BS degree. YOU ARE NOT A BONE HEAD-- you can do this-- working the problems, working the problems and working the problems is the way to be successful. As others have cited, you may have a basic study flaw-- ok, we can fix that. I do think that you need to take a review course with some mentorship-- there is no reason to continue doing what you are doing and thinking that the results will be different-- they won't.

I have great faith that with a couple of field adjustments that you will do just fine. Good Luck!

I know that construction inspection can be taxing. Part of that is that is mental exertion of keeping up with all the work, part of it is you are mostly standing idle while the contractors are working.

I would suggest that you might want to get some excersize when you get home. A walk, a bike ride, lift weights, whatever, just something to get your energy levels up. It's hard to start but you will feel better, believe me. Just take a half hour. Then you can spend time studying. Look at it as an investment in yourself.

And there is no reason to quit your job. I passed the EIT 4 years after school while working full time in construction management, you can do it too! Now go solve some problems!

Back