Tips on getting to sleep tonight!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt-NM

Reaction score
I was unable to get more than a couple winks of sleep last night for whatever reason. Maybe exam jitters, maybe something I ate. I really don't know for sure. What I do know, however (I am taking the ME PE on Friday by the way), is that if the exam were today, I would have wasted the last 4 months of studying because I can barely think right now. I am sitting here trying to review problems and am just about ready to give up for the day. If this happens again tomorrow I am really screwed.

Does anybody have any really good methods of getting to sleep? Of course I will avoid caffeine, sugar, and things like that. I really don't want all of this hard work to go for nothing just because I couldn't fall asleep one night. I am hesitant to take anything that will make me sleepy, such as sleeping pills or NyQuil, since I tend to be groggy the next day.

Any suggestions? We are down to the wire here.

Does anybody every really feel fully prepared for the exam, or are there areas that are just going to be accepted as being weaker areas?

My suggestion would be to do whatever you can to not think about the exam. I would not recommend studying today or tonight. Pack your exam materials up and get all your other goodies together ready to go and then find something else to do. Rent a movie, read a book, hire a hooker (kidding), just something to keep your mind occupied and off the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax buddy.. just stop reviewing your material and organize everything, meaning pack it and watch TV, go for a walk, go do whatever that is not too stressful and relaxes your mind. I had my weaker areas but I knew that whole test can't be on one or two areas, so don't worry you will get more than enough questions that you know already. Try to sleep early today and b prepared to leave tomorrow morning without having to worry for organizing books, keeping in car, verifying admission ticket, etc.... you will be able to sleep tonight, just dont sleep now and change your cycle.

First and foremost, stop reviewing and organize your material, just know that whatever you have done is to your best and you ARE PREPARED.

Edit: The mod should turn off the clock now, it must be nerve wrecking for some to see only a few hours left.

Last edited by a moderator:
ODB's 2 cents:

STOP STUDYING!

Organize your stuff and put it by the door.

Go for a walk. Good news- you don't have to work tomorrow!

Watch your favorite movie. Hey, there's a new Office tonight!

Splurge and eat at your favorite restaurant, provided it won't get you back tomorrow. Nothing wrong with celebrating a little beforehand. You made it to a critical point in your career.

If you're in a hotel, peruse but don't order the adult PPV titles. some of them are quite funny. (well, order if you want, but the clerk will look at you funny tomorrow AM)

Have a beer or two - enough to relax but feel no effects.

Read a magazine, book or newspaper to fall asleep. No TV an hour before bedtime!

Don't go to bed too much earlier than you're used to. You don't want to wake up at 4:00am because then you won't be able to fall back asleep.

ODB's 2 cents:

STOP STUDYING!

Organize your stuff and put it by the door.

Go for a walk. Good news- you don't have to work tomorrow!

Life goes back to nomal after you put the pencil down at 5:45

I would go the gym amd pump iron. It should make you tired

1. 1/2 bottle of some good red wine

2. get a massage around 8PM

or I'm going to the driving range in a few hours bring your drivers. I'll see you there.

Good to know I'm not the only one who's brain is at capacity. Thanks for the tips! I was feeling guilty not getting some last minute studying done, but the postings helped me realize that the best thing I can do now is relax before I blow a fuse.

I am sick with the flu. Help! No golfing for me. If I'm lucky, they will give me my own big space at the exam so I can toss the tissues (hopefully no cookies) and cough without interference.

Any suggestions from those who have gone before? Fudgey?

I am sick with the flu. Help! No golfing for me. If I'm lucky, they will give me my own big space at the exam so I can toss the tissues (hopefully no cookies) and cough without interference.
Any suggestions from those who have gone before? Fudgey?
I had pretty bad allergies when I went - lots of nose blowing. Stop at a walgreens and pick up a few of those travel kleenex packets - make sure they're sealed when you take them in, and I doubt you'll have any problems. Other than that, lots of water.

It seems pretty universal that you're probably not going to have an abundance of space. Just make a pile of snot rags on the floor.

Good luck tomorrow!

:true: I've peed at Jenna Fischer's house (Pam on The Office).

I'm at the motel now and just ate a good meal and have everything in the car...I've driven to the test site, timed the drive, thought of breakfast, packed my lunch. All I have to do is wake up and pass the PE.

Right?

GOOD LUCK! Only 13 more hours till go time!

Here's the best advice I can give you.....HAVE A LITTLE FAITH in yourself! You've done all you can do, you're probably over prepared, the exam is VERY pass-able. Just settle down, relax, enjoy the ride, and wake up in the morning knowing you'll be done with it!!!

GOOD LUCK! You're not the first!

Something that has worked for me when trying to fall asleep is counting backwards from 100 and at the same time picturing the number being written on a chalk board or dry erase board. Each number gets erased, then the next one written. I read about it somewhere a long time ago and it works for me. Hope you all find something that works.

Why aren't you sleeping now!? Well, if you're still awake, turn on FitTV and try some Yoga then jump in a Hot tub or warm bath. Knocked me right out.

I was unable to get more than a couple winks of sleep last night for whatever reason. Maybe exam jitters, maybe something I ate. I really don't know for sure. What I do know, however (I am taking the ME PE on Friday by the way), is that if the exam were today, I would have wasted the last 4 months of studying because I can barely think right now. I am sitting here trying to review problems and am just about ready to give up for the day. If this happens again tomorrow I am really screwed.
Does anybody have any really good methods of getting to sleep? Of course I will avoid caffeine, sugar, and things like that. I really don't want all of this hard work to go for nothing just because I couldn't fall asleep one night. I am hesitant to take anything that will make me sleepy, such as sleeping pills or NyQuil, since I tend to be groggy the next day.

Any suggestions? We are down to the wire here.

Does anybody every really feel fully prepared for the exam, or are there areas that are just going to be accepted as being weaker areas?

I took Nyquil about 10pm. It worked for me! Otherwise I would have been up all night!

Back