tick tock

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent. Good luck with the rest of your studying.

I have been studying almost every second I have a chance, I would say I have about 320 hours put into studying, probably more actually, up until now and by the time the exam rolls around it will probably be close to 420 hours. I find myself going through a rollercoaster of confidence and anxiety that I am not prepared enough. I am taking the EET review course (breadth and depth) and have run through all of the practice problems and quizzes given through the course, and I have gone through god knows how many practice exam problems (NCEES, Goswami(2), and a few others). I am using all of my references when I come across an example problem that requires them for more practice using them, I am constantly going through the boards to find some practice problems subscribers have posted. I just do not want to get to the exam and come across a problem that I SHOULD have known. I am not a very good test taker (anxiety gets to me) so I need to start focusing on keeping calm and thinking clear! 23 more days... I think I can, I think I can! 
Just don't **** up the test and you'll be fine.

I hear you @ngmakhlo. I am also finding myself getting anxious. I have cut out coffee, at least in the mornings, and that has helped a lot. Caffeine will make it worse. I'm probably not going to drink coffee the day of the exam either.

@Jmcc06 That is impressive! If I don't have coffee I cant even keep my eyes open. I typically study from about 8-11:30 every night and then from 4:30-6:30 each morning, so I am lucky if I get 5 hours of sleep. But I agree completely about maybe not having coffee the day of the exam, but I am sure I will need at least a cup just to get in the rhythm. Consistency is key with things like this so slugging down a cup of coffee before will get me in the mode I am in when I study.

@Jmcc06 That is impressive! If I don't have coffee I cant even keep my eyes open. I typically study from about 8-11:30 every night and then from 4:30-6:30 each morning, so I am lucky if I get 5 hours of sleep. But I agree completely about maybe not having coffee the day of the exam, but I am sure I will need at least a cup just to get in the rhythm. Consistency is key with things like this so slugging down a cup of coffee before will get me in the mode I am in when I study.
I am taking EET too, and you are studying way more than me. 

Seems like you are studying excessively. I mean, are you understanding everything?

And if you're a caffeine dependent person, you are sure as hell going to need it on the day of the exam.

I am taking EET too, and you are studying way more than me. 

Seems like you are studying excessively. I mean, are you understanding everything?

And if you're a caffeine dependent person, you are sure as hell going to need it on the day of the exam.
I am just looking at it as more practice, I am not really "learning" by doing the extra problems, I did the learning and understanding during the EET lectures, I am just becoming more fluent with my references and being able to quickly identify the topic of the question being asked. Also, I can't just not study, everything I do I have in the back of my mind that I should be preparing more so I may as well just hit the books. For what it is worth though, almost all of the practice problems and exams I have done I have been able to rely strictly on the EET material to solve the problems. I can't walk out of that exam saying I wish I had studied more if I have spent all my free time studying, right? haha.  

I have basically the same approach as @ngmakhlo. I am intentionally 'over-studying'. I'm not walking into the test wishing I would have done this or that. I'm going to pass this bitch the first time lol.

I hear you @ngmakhlo. I am also finding myself getting anxious. I have cut out coffee, at least in the mornings, and that has helped a lot. Caffeine will make it worse. I'm probably not going to drink coffee the day of the exam either.
I also stopped drinking coffee in the months leading up to my exam date. I didn't drink any on exam day either. I haven't had a full cup of caffeinated coffee since. It's nice.

I have basically the same approach as @ngmakhlo. I am intentionally 'over-studying'. I'm not walking into the test wishing I would have done this or that. I'm going to pass this bitch the first time lol.
My thought process exactly! Except this is my second time and I do not ever want to go through this again! Until I decide to take the CA seismic and survey exam of course. :)  

I also stopped drinking coffee in the months leading up to my exam date. I didn't drink any on exam day either. I haven't had a full cup of caffeinated coffee since. It's nice.
Well I think I may be a little too close to the exam to completely stop drinking coffee now and have it benefit me, but I do plan on just having a small cup in the morning before the exam because I think at this point the amount of caffeine in a single cup of coffee is child's play to me and it'll just get me in my zone.

So on the occasions you drink coffee, do you drink some and then just not the whole cup? heh.

I used to be really dependent on coffee but stopped years ago. I have 1-2 cups of green tea some days though. I think caffeine affects how you learn things, or at the very minimum how you perform. It's a slippery slope.

do you drink some and then just not the whole cup?
I ordered decalf and got regular, I only drank about half of it. The few other times I put regular to top off my decalf from the cafe in my office building.

It's nice to not "need my coffee" in the morning. 

It's also nice to not be taking an 8 hour engineering exam in a few weeks.

I ordered decalf and got regular, I only drank about half of it. The few other times I put regular to top off my decalf from the cafe in my office building.

It's nice to not "need my coffee" in the morning. 

It's also nice to not be taking an 8 hour engineering exam in a few weeks.
I can't really even picture a world where I am not constantly thinking about this exam anymore...

I didn't stop drinking coffee, since I had to be up early I knew I wanted to be on top of things when I got there. I actually bought caffeine powder http://iwantcaffeine.com/caffeine-anhydrous-pure-powder-100g-352-oz-usp-grade-energy-alertness-nusci-sell-only-by-herbstoreusa/ and brought some into the exam for the lunch break. It jazzed me up after the lunch feast. 

No caffeine for me on exam day but I did slam an 8-ball right before I went into the exam room.

I passed. Your results may vary.

Back