PE Disciplines- Mechanical vs Heating and Ventilation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Im hoping there’s someone out there with any insight on engineering license classes (i.e. class M for mechanical).  I live in Massachusetts where I’ve learned we have a class HV for heating and ventilation engineers which is in addition to class M for mechanical.  Both license classes are derived from the same PE Mechanical: HVAC & Refrigeration Exam.  I’ve checked NCEES exam records and there is no separate sub-group for HV instead of mechanical HVAC.   In my situation (of course this would happen to me), it appears that I mistakenly applied for the wrong license class on my application!  I was always intending to apply to Mechanical (M) with the HVAC discipline.  Instead, I carelessly ticked off the HVAC category on the exam application thinking at the time that this was the same thing.  Now after all this effort my license class isn't even the one I was hoping for!  Does anyone know if engineering boards can amend a license class?  I fear the board will be hard headed but I can see no rational for why it would be a problem to make this correction when I took and passed the exam.  I’ve reached out to several engineers i know personally and no one is familiar with this discrepancy and in other states they seem to not even have a separate HV classes..  Oh man I am really hoping theres an easy solution to this..  thanks in advance for any insight. 

D8C319A8-735E-4C72-97F0-7FEF2B733282.jpeg

Back