Those who failed Power, April 2019

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the thread for those who failed to post their score (or PM to me if you'd rather not say publicly) so we can may figure out a cutscore and make data finding easier.

48/80

Induction/Synchronous machines was my absolute worst section. 
Don't lose hope. It is not the end of the world and this exam really doesn't make you a better engineer. You were really close to passing & probably those guesses of yours didn't turn out to be correct so its okay. Good luck for the next time. 

Failed, 49/80.  I guess I improved but not by much. Made a 47/80 last time.

It took me 4 times to pass the test.  I always felt good after taking the test (EXCEPT the 1st time) but could never figure out why I was failing.  Test 1 (31/80) I took an online Testmasters course, Test 2 (42/80) I added complex imaginary and Power PE Technical Study Guide, Test 3 (47/80) I added Graffeo... I finally realized I must be missing something fundamentally.  I caught my self working out problems because "this is how I've seen it done" versus "this is why it is done."  For me that was a big difference because we all know how they like to change up wording in the test and get us out of our comfort zone.  Zach Stone's Electrical PE Review was the difference maker for my 4 time.  His prerecorded and live classes helped me develop a better understanding and build a better foundation.  If any of you felt like me on the other tests I highly recommend Zach's class to help you prepare for the next time.  I took it for two months... I recommend doing all the free classes before signing up.  I also never participated in the live classes just because they run late... I actually preferred this because I could print out the completed notes then watch the class and add to the notes (time saver for me).  Hope this helps!

So many people in 46-49 range, 3-4 points and they would have passed. 3-4 points on 80 question exam is not much.  That goes to show how every question is so important. Everyone gives their best shot . Leading upto the exam, a lot of times  I would make a simple mistake such as not considering  per 1000 ft impedances for voltage drop calculations, I knew steps, process how to solve without even looking anything, yet my final answer would be wrong. Or not putting bracket on certain occasions for complex calculations  Or not paying attention to whether the problem is delta, Y, three phase single phase, power factor with reference to what?  I would tell to myself, if I did this, there goes my point despite solving so many problems. This would stress me out as this was happening a day before exam.   The wrong answer is going to be one of the choice on exam questions.  I started keeping notes of such things and went over these follies number of times the day before the exam than actually studying the exam topics.  

As you prepare, and IF having the same difficulty as I did, as you study please make a habit of repeating what is really asked? what are keywords?  to the point it becomes subconscious 2nd nature. In trying to speed things up, we sometimes not spend too much time in understanding what is question really asking. 

Good luck to everyone as you prepare after a little break.    

Last edited by a moderator:
So many people in 46-49 range, 3-4 points and they would have passed. 3-4 points on 80 question exam is not much.  That goes to show how every question is so important. Everyone gives their best shot . Leading upto the exam, a lot of times  I would make a simple mistake such as not considering  per 1000 ft impedances for voltage drop calculations, I knew steps, process how to solve without even looking anything, yet my final answer would be wrong. Or not putting bracket on certain occasions for complex calculations  Or not paying attention to whether the problem is delta, Y, three phase single phase, power factor with reference to what?  I would tell to myself, if I did this, there goes my point despite solving so many problems. This would stress me out as this was happening a day before exam.   The wrong answer is going to be one of the choice on exam questions.  I started keeping notes of such things and went over these follies number of times the day before the exam than actually studying the exam topics.  

As you prepare, and IF having the same difficulty as I did, as you study please make a habit of repeating what is really asked? what are keywords?  to the point it becomes subconscious 2nd nature. In trying to speed things up, we sometimes not spend too much time in understanding what is question really asking. 

Good luck to everyone as you prepare after a little break.    
Agree with you completely. I rarely see someone failing with 30s, mostly people get too close to passing and as you mentioned every single question in the exam is important so one should skip those difficult ones and focus on getting the easier ones correct. Often we spend time on difficult questions and neglect the easy ones & end up doing simple mistakes.

Agree with you completely. I rarely see someone failing with 30s, mostly people get too close to passing and as you mentioned every single question in the exam is important so one should skip those difficult ones and focus on getting the easier ones correct. Often we spend time on difficult questions and neglect the easy ones & end up doing simple mistakes.
Yup.  There were 3 questions (2 morning, 1afternoon) that I had to catch myself and say, mid attempt, “This is taking too long.  Move on.”

If anyone took Justin's survey and looked at results afterwards, one of the respondents had a fail report of 56/80 and I got wind yesterday of someone in our Nebraska office that failed at 58/60, though I can't confirm it.

The cut score was very high this time, I wouldn't be too surprised to find out if it came down to being an even 60.

If anyone took Justin's survey and looked at results afterwards, one of the respondents had a fail report of 56/80 and I got wind yesterday of someone in our Nebraska office that failed at 58/60, though I can't confirm it.

The cut score was very high this time, I wouldn't be too surprised to find out if it came down to being an even 60.
I was thinking about this, just because the sample we have indicates highest fail score of 49, doesn't mean the cut score was 50. Some people may not report it, the sample size here is not large enough to deduce for sure. Some people just may not be on EB.   

I was thinking about this, just because the sample we have indicates highest fail score of 49, doesn't mean the cut score was 50. Some people may not report it, the sample size here is not large enough to deduce for sure. Some people just may not be on EB.   
Precisely.

Back