Those darn kids

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Sister and BIL are in the process of adopting. It is a long and very difficult path to adopt (especially for an infant), but it does provide a good home ("verified" by several different people) to a child who would otherwise grow up in a foster/orphanage.

I was actually thinking about a foreign adoption. I've read where up children in former Soviet bloc countries (The Ukraine in particular) are booted from the orphanage at age 15 and the majority of the boys end up in organized crime and the majority of the girls end up in prostitution. It's absolutely heartbreaking.
Some friends of my parents did that. For whatever reason they were unable to biologically have a kid, and they adopted one from Russia. I've never met the kid, but it sounds like they are doing ok. They went there to pick the kid up, and the thing that struck them was the rampant alcoholism. Their host family opened a bottle of vodka with every meal. You didn't leave the table until the bottle was kicked.

I saw a report on Ukrainian/Soviet Bloc adoptions, and really I would beware, but we have friends with children from China and they are doing great.
We have some family friends that adopted a little girl from China 15 years ago. She's doing great. They are missionaries in Nicaragua, so she now knows her native Mandarin, English, and Spanish languages.

I've heard horror stories about international adoptions, but I think what I've heard are a minority of cases which were blownup in the media.
True, like the stupid bitch in the US that sent the kid back because of behavioral problems. Most of the kids do have some behavioral problems because they are left in porta-cribs for 15 hours a day. Unfortunately a lot of them have developmental problems as well.

My Sister and BIL are in the process of adopting. It is a long and very difficult path to adopt (especially for an infant), but it does provide a good home ("verified" by several different people) to a child who would otherwise grow up in a foster/orphanage.

I was actually thinking about a foreign adoption. I've read where up children in former Soviet bloc countries (The Ukraine in particular) are booted from the orphanage at age 15 and the majority of the boys end up in organized crime and the majority of the girls end up in prostitution. It's absolutely heartbreaking.
Some friends of my parents did that. For whatever reason they were unable to biologically have a kid, and they adopted one from Russia. I've never met the kid, but it sounds like they are doing ok. They went there to pick the kid up, and the thing that struck them was the rampant alcoholism. Their host family opened a bottle of vodka with every meal. You didn't leave the table until the bottle was kicked.

It used to be easier to do the foreign adoption thing than adopting domestically. Unfortunately, due to the stupid bitch mentioned above, Russia has suspended all foreign adoptions to the US indefinitely.

Last edited by a moderator:
driving kids home from preschool the other day, they're both sucking down some juice boxes, and I sneeze rather loudly (typical). I say sorry, didn't mean to scare you guys. Son says "daddy there was a party in my tummy, and you just scared it"

Back