~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CAVU skies and dry roads for the first time in 30 days! :party-smiley-048:

*cieling and visiblility unlimited.

I think we're going to have to build an ark down here pretty soon. The ground was already saturated from a month of rain and snow melt. Now, we are getting about another 6" of rain. The Ohio River is expected to reach flood stage this afternoon...and it's still raining.

Holy crap--the radio this morning said the storms yesterday killed 6 people here in MI. Got some wind at my house with a few small limbs down but nothing major. Everyone else all right?

^^We had a pretty good light show, high winds and HEAVY rain on this side of the lake last night. The burbs just South of here got it worse over the entire weekend. Last I heard, we're in for another day of it today. I think they had several tornadoes pass through on the South side of Lake Michigan.

Over 100 every day since Tuesday. It was 105 yesterday (not officially, though). I bet my electric bill is going to be awe inspiring.

F'in SNOW at my in-law's house yesterday morning. Luckily, none at mine (~1,00' lower).

I sat out in the heat for 4 hours at a graduation yesterday. It was just brutal. I felt bad for my puppy. I had to bring him to all the events because it was too damned hot in the car. He was a hit with the college girls in sun dressed though!

Today it was already 82 F at 8 AM when I was driving to work. Yuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for the other end of the spectrum. The temperature here this morning is a balmy -11 deg. F with a wind chill of -30. The high for today is forecast to be -1. The low tonight is supposed to be -17.

If I have to go outside today, I'll be dressed like the little brother from A Christmas Story. "I can't put down my arms!"

My boss is currently in Fairbanks, AK. It is warmer there, than it is here.

But then again, last week it was in the 40s and 50s here while it was -48 there.

It is hovering around 20 with an annoying light snow today... I am ready for spring.

Not enough snow to shovel, but enough to make me slip and fall again!

I sat out in the heat for 4 hours at a graduation yesterday. It was just brutal. I felt bad for my puppy. I had to bring him to all the events because it was too damned hot in the car. He was a hit with the college girls in sun dressed though!
Today it was already 82 F at 8 AM when I was driving to work. Yuck.
Wow, what a bump.

It was 6 and felt like 2 here this morning.

It's -10 back in my old town in VT.

It is currently -16 in Des Moines, IA (even colder in northern Iowa) with a wind chill of -38. The high today here is -5.

It gets cold in Iowa...but not THIS cold. On the news this morning they said this was the coldest day in 10 years in Iowa.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago, one of the secretaries here said to me after we had a number of single digit temp days, "Wow it has warmed up to 20 degrees"... I responded, "Yeah, it's like a freaking heat wave" 10 to 20 - you don't notice the change... 60 to 70 however, you notice the change.

Got to love the forescast for today...trying to put a positive spin to it. Abundant sunshine, with a high of 4. Windchills of -30.

A few years ago, one of the secretaries here said to me after we had a number of single digit temp days, "Wow it has warmed up to 20 degrees"... I responded, "Yeah, it's like a freaking heat wave" 10 to 20 - you don't notice the change... 60 to 70 however, you notice the change.
10 to 20 is definitely noticable. 10 start to get bitterly cold. 20 is just winter chilly.

Below 10 I can't feel much difference. Below about 5, your nostrils begin to freeze together when you take a deep breath in through your nose. Depending on how much and how quickly they freeze, it tells you how cold it is. It works pretty similarly with your breath freezing on your hat and eyelids.

I've done field work and snowshoeing in anywhere from -10 to -20 cold and thats about the only way I can tell how cold it is. Not the feeling on my skin but other physical effects.

It's supposed to get down to 15 tonight here in Chucktown which is very cold (record breaking) for down here. I need to move my Saco Palms inside or they'll die. I suspect a lot of the tropical plants won't make it through this freeze.

Back