~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are supposed to hit 80 today. Perfect January weather! I have a feeling we'll be 'paid back' this summer though with 125 degree heat.

Yesterday was perfect marathon/half-marathon weather too... 78 degrees and breezy, no humidity!

It's no wonder I'm not moving back to Chicago any time soon. Although, the occasional white Christmas would be nice.

I'm hoping we're done with snow for the year. We had enough during Christmas to last me awhile. I like it when the snow stays in the mountains . . .

Right now, its sunny, high temp of 50, with wind gusts of up to 50 mph. Isn't supposed to start raining until Thursday B) I guess its time to go buy the first of several pairs of sunglasses I'll purchase this year.

It may get above freezing here Wednesday & Thursday :woot: That should take care of some of the snow pack on the driveway.

It wasn't too bad... the race started at 8:30 when it was about 65 and we finished when it was about 70, and it was a little cloudy.

Good luck in your training! Make sure to do strength training, no matter what anyone tells you. I'm having IT band problems because I didn't do enough. :(

:p10940623:

Good luck in your training! Make sure to do strength training, no matter what anyone tells you. I'm having IT band problems because I didn't do enough.
My wife has had IT issues before, I've pulled mine once and wow that hurt. We are pretty good about strength training.

I was injured most of last year, and ended up needing foot surgery last month. It's been 6 weeks and I've just started getting back into cardio, so far so good, but I'm in sad shape in that regard so it will take a long while to get back to where I was. I'm ok on a bike or elliptical, but can only run about a mile at this point before the foot starts barking.

I'm seeing the podiatrist today, and will ask her if I can do anything to strengthen it back up quickly. I'm afraid the answer is just more time.

I hate having to get back into shape, but my foot feels sooo much better.

I'm seeing the podiatrist today, and will ask her if I can do anything to strengthen it back up quickly. I'm afraid the answer is just more time.

Maybe a little PT will do some good... did you have any after the surgery? I used to use a long rubberband looking thing for ankle exercises and it worked wonders. But I think you're right. Time is the best cure.

My appointment is in an hour. I feel really good in the foot department other than the fact that I'm not healing as quickly as I wish I was. I'm healing pretty quickly by typical standards, but I am young and fit and not carrying extra weight. PT sounds like a good idea and I will ask about it, but I don't know if there's much you can do to make a bone knit together or cartilage regenerate quicker.

I know you folks up north suffer more than us, but this 18 degree shit is getting really really fucking old down here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to get my license transferred to Florida

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's our local forecast near Boston:

Short Term Forecast
Rest Of Today...Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 30s. West winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.

Tonight...Mostly cloudy in the evening...then becoming partly cloudy. Lows around 16. West winds 10 to 15 mph...diminishing to around 5 mph after midnight.

Friday...Partly sunny in the morning...then becoming mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 30s. South winds around 5 mph.

Friday Night...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid 20s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph after midnight.

Saturday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 30s. Temperature falling into the lower 20s in the afternoon. West winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.

Saturday Night...Mostly clear. Much colder with lows zero to 5 above zero.

Sunday Through Monday...Partly cloudy. Cold. Highs around 20. Lows around zero.

Monday Night...Mostly clear. Cold with lows around zero.

Tuesday And Tuesday Night...Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 20s. Lows around 10 above.

Wednesday...Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 30s.
More freaking COLD coming in. So RG is this 18 the low at night? Sounds like you guys are as cold as we are (with the obvious bolded exceptions).

how do you folks up north keep pets? do you put them in the garage all day when your at work?

ours has to get up under the bay window where she can get some of the heat from the house until the sun comes up and warms things up to the 30's...

how do you folks up north keep pets? do you put them in the garage all day when your at work?
ours has to get up under the bay window where she can get some of the heat from the house until the sun comes up and warms things up to the 30's...
We leave our dog loose in the house during the day. I think he likes to sleep on the living room sofa (that he's not allowed on) while we're gone. He hears the car pull up and jumps off immediately. If we inadvertently leave the bedroom door open he'll sleep on our bed. (he likes comfort and pillows). No way I'd leave him in the garage, he'd freeze his canolis off (or whatever is left of them after "the operation").

The tough part now is with the snow so deep he has trouble finding a spot to "do his business" outside. He tries to go off into the yard but the snow is up to his shoulders. I clear him out a little area with the snowblower so he can go. We have a lot of snow on the ground and it's not going to melt soon. I'll have to expand his restroom cause it's getting full.

we have a doggie door but dont let her have free roam when were not there, but she has figured out how to open it (when we close it) and I have found her looking very quilty on the sofa when I got home from work though...

we trust her not to "do business" on the rugs, but dont trust her to not bring in a dead animal and leave on the fireplace as some sort of gift for us..

She will be just as glad as I when March gets here! Boat goes back in the water slip March 1! Cold Weather or no Codl Weather (cause thats the terms of my contract :D )

We initially started by keeping our dog crated, then slowly worked our way up to the point where he has free run of the house. It really depends on the dog, some are trustworthy at a young age (mine is 10 months) and others will always need to be crated. You just sort of wait and see the personality of the pooch.

The tough part now is with the snow so deep he has trouble finding a spot to "do his business" outside. He tries to go off into the yard but the snow is up to his shoulders.
I have a larger dog than MA, but it is still an issue. The snow is up to his stomach. I clear a spot on the porch for him. If he isn't comfortable with all the snow in the yard, he can go there.

I'm going to have 3 months of snow buried dog shit to clean once spring rolls around. The key is to pick it up while it's still frozen and not wait until mud season where its a mushy, stinky mess.

There's almost always somebody here to supervise the dog. He sleeps in his crate at night and we put him in there when we all go somewhere. The longest he's spent in there during the day is about 4 hours. I'm going to be cleaning several months worth of recycled dog food out of the back yard when the snow finally melts too. I'm hoping there will be a window between buried in snow and mud season.

I'm hoping that come the spring thaw the yard will be fertilized, I doubt there'd be anything but a gooey mess left and I'm not trying to scrape it together. I'll just watch my step and let the biodegration process work naturally.

I don't have to worry about him going int he house, but he tends to drag my shoes and socks and leave them near the front door if I don't lock them up/close the bedroom doors. It's his way of showing me that he's annoyed because I'm not home.

118+ inches of snow this season (~10ft)! Record for my area of MI is 173 inches - Hell, might as well try to break it, we got 2nd snowiest record nailed & climbing upwards - Its ok, I'm affected by the Lake effect. . . :screwloose:

Back