The six crappiest interview questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how can the manhole question be considered a brainteaser? There is a very simple and logical answer to that question.

how can the manhole question be considered a brainteaser? There is a very simple and logical answer to that question.
if asked that question my uncontrolled facial response would have been eyebrows raised and a look of are you serious? Thats some kind of a joke right?

Anytime I had those questions during an interview I never got the job.
How have you ever gotten a job? I haven't had an interview none of those questions were asked.
Last two jobs the guy interviewing me would be my boss and would tell me about the job, what the company does, what they expect from me, and where they want me to go. The only question I would get asked out of that list is the "tell me about yourself" question.

They were mainly concerned that I could communicate, knew what the work entailed, understood what MEP/AE firms do, how much it sucks working for architects, and whether or not I was planning to get my PE.

Everyone should be ready to answer any and all of those questions (except the manhole cover one) before going into an interview. Have a canned answer prepared and deliver it with a smile. Yes they are dumb questions but if you want a job you have to be prepared.

I've been asked all of those, and the only valid one is "tell me about yourself" as if you've made it to an interview, your personality and how you'll fit in to the company "culture" is generally more important than your technical qualifications. I'm surprised "how do you deal with stress" isn't on the list. I'm generally a low-stress person but even if I weren't, what kind of moron would admit to cracking under pressure?

Back